‹ Previous123456789
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    It's a great idea but it's a bloody mission. The true 24 hour cycle means I can only really ever play it in the dark; it's much more playable in daylight.

Great concept though; I wish there were more +12hour servers.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Sounds pretty awesome.

regards

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • There are now 'reverse time' servers which allows people who have a job to come home and play in the daylight.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    "And there was much rejoicing."
  • Watched a few vids of this on YouTube (there's a series called 'The Days Ahead' that's weirdly compelling, for videogame footage) and it looks incredible. I'm on my phone otherwise I'd post some of them up.

My shitty PC and poor connection couldn't handle it unfortunately, but it's intriguing just watching other people play. Although being videogames, most players seem to be viciously slaughtering each other left, right and centre purely for lols. The chaotic nature of it is appealing though.

I think it was mentioned in the PC games thread a week or two ago.
  • Urban Dead thread neva 4get
  • This strikes me as a good idea that'll be ruined by videogame players.  I can think of no group of people less likely to want to share and develop the co-operative nature of this sort of game, rather everyone'll just kill everyone they think they have a chance with.

Lovely idea though, but I can't see the execution working.  I doubt it'll play nicely on my iMac but I might try the ArmA 2 demo to find out.  

Why someone hasn't tried out something like this on the console market I don't know.  Dead Island, but not shit and with a persistent online world?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bah, I'm not shelling out for Operation Arrowhead in order to play this. Actually, maybe there's a torrent...
  • So what are the consequences of death vs survival.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well...
  • If you die you'll lose that character, completely, plus all the weapons and equipment (and food & drink) that you've looted/stole/robbed from the dead. 

You'll get booted back with a new avatar somewhere randomly on the map, at the mercy of highway robbers and the undead.

I think your character is synced across all servers, disconnect on one and log into another and you'll be in the same place with the same stuff. Until you die obviously, average in-game life expectancy is 27 minutes according the development site. 

People who've actually played the damn thing could probably explain better than me.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    I believe that's all pretty much correct. 

I think that you always spawn on the coast though, not randomly across the entire map.
  • Oh okay, cheers.

Any good? Impressions etc?
  • That first video's great, don't have time to watch the rest.

A few of us have this, it's apparently a complete bastard to get onto a server atm though.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    It's clearly brilliant when it's.... well, brilliant. 

I've only really played at night but as Rossi pointed out to me it's a very different game during the day. I wish the day/night cycle moved at a more GTA like pace. 1:1 is just crazy. 

Fantastic concept though; you immediately feel on the back foot and it feels terrifyingly great.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    This strikes me as a good idea that'll be ruined by videogame players.  I can think of no group of people less likely to want to share and develop the co-operative nature of this sort of game, rather everyone'll just kill everyone they think they have a chance with.

I sooooo want to disagree with you, but suspect if/when this hits the mainstream that you'll be spot on. At the moment though, those playing seem to be indicating that it is working. Am just watching the vids for now - my laptop has no hope of actually playing it - but this is a game I (and I'm sure loads of others) have been waiting for. If the servers get reliable I so want to play it that I'd consider dropping a whack of cash on a new PC.
  • The game that ended when you failed came up as a concept a few times on the old forum, this does look like a very nice implementation of the idea. People being dicks is going to cause a problem, but I suppose playing with friends on the same server could counter that a bit.

I'm not likely to get a PC that can play this, but I hope some of the bigger developers are looking at this as inspiration for where to go with the persistent shooters that appear to be on the horizon for next gen, much more appealing than an uninterrupted grind to level 100.
  • Drunk musing: Would co-op be increased if the high score table was based on days survived rather than kdr etc? If you want to survive then you need to co-op? Or would people just try to hunt down the longer term survivors?
  • Brooks wrote:
    Urban Dead thread neva 4get
    Saltrow Library 'n' Giddings Mall 4EVA!
  • Wow, that looks pretty amazing. Good shout to, I_R, re a game where you die properly. Seems like a brilliant idea all round. Consoles please.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I've just watched the first two days of those vids above and had to see if there were more. It's quite interesting hearing about the differences between the two groups.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'm keen.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Drunk musing: Would co-op be increased if the high score table was based on days survived rather than kdr etc? If you want to survive then you need to co-op? Or would people just try to hunt down the longer term survivors?

I'd like that.  You could even have your score reduced by resorting to murder rather than anything else, unless it was self defence?

• FFS.  I really, REALLY want to play this now.  Is it a free download?  I feel an "acquisition" of ArmA 2 to try it out on Bootcamp coming.

What do I need other than ArmA?
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    You need the Operation Arrowhead expansion as well.

Edit: yes, the mod itself is free.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    wow!!!

Please let something like this see a release on consoles.
  • J1m1
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Beelzespud
    Xbox
    Beelzespud
    Steam
    Beelzespud

Send message
    Nice little blog here about a few days spent in game:

http://altandtab.wordpress.com/dayz-day-1/
    Live/Steam - Beelzespud
‹ Previous123456789

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!