theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Schwartz corroborated reports of a "Project Icebreaker" at Activision designed to secretly scour their computers for evidence that would support a firing. "Do you know who George Rose is? He was the head lawyer ­for ­[Activision]," Schwartz said.

"So George Rose goes into the office of this guy named Thomas Fenady. He's some kind of IT whiz at Activision." According to Schwartz, Rose asked Fenady, under the auspices of CEO Bobby Kotick, to "break into [West and Zampella's] computers and dig up dirt to be used to justify firing them." Schwartz added that Fenady "testified to this."

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/25/west-and-zampella-on-activision-lawsuit-and-project-icebreaker/

Awesome.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Good old uncle Bobby.
    Get schwifty.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Ex-Infinity Ward employees Jason West and Vince Zampella have settled their lawsuit with Activision. "All parties have reached a settlement in the dispute, the terms of which are strictly confidential," the LA Times' Ben Fritz reports.

West and Zampella sued Activision in 2010, after Activision fired them and before they could collect all the promised royalties from the launch of Modern Warfare 2, they claimed. Activision paid $42 million to the Infinity Ward Employee Group -- which includes 38 current and former IW employees -- in May, as part of a separate lawsuit. The payment wasn't a settlement, but was part of Activision's own investigation for its counter-suit against West and Zampella, filed with their new publisher, EA, as a defendant.

EA and Activision settled their suit in May, while West and Zampella's claim rose to $1 billion. Claims in all three lawsuits are now dismissed.

There is no word yet on the terms of the settlement, and they may not ever be revealed, Fritz says, although this observation from the court room may provide a bit of insight into the final outcome: "Jason West is in court and smiling."

Update: Respawn Entertainment issued the following statement: "All parties to the litigation have reached a settlement of the dispute, the terms of which are strictly confidential."

Update 2: Activision issued a statement as well: "Activision Blizzard, Inc. (ATVI) today announced that all parties to the litigation have reached a settlement of the dispute, the terms of which are strictly confidential.

"The company does not believe that the incremental one-time charges related to the settlement will result in a material impact on its GAAP or non-GAAP earnings per share outlook for the current quarter or the calendar year, due to stronger-than-expected operating performance in the current quarter."

Update 3: Not to be forgotten, EA has chimed in, too: "Activision's refusal to pay their talent and attempt to blame EA were absurd. This settlement is a vindication of Vince and Jason, and the right of creative artists to collect the rewards due for their hard work."

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/31/west-zampella-settle-with-activision-in-infinity-ward-lawsuit/

Boooooo! No dirty laundry in court sadface
  • Ooh! TBH, I wasn't expecting that - thought they were dead set for a court fiasco!
    I guess ATVI's lawyers must have got a bit scared and agreed to the payoff. 

Booo indeed - was looking forward to some Acti-scandal!
  • Apparently they got a new lawyer, who I assume took one look at the case and said "you are going to lose, and big, are you fucking mental?"

Still, at least we know now that Activision were in the wrong.
  • Actually, we don't know that.

just sayin

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Saves them the embarrassment of court doesn't it, anything could come out there.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Saves them the embarrassment of court doesn't it, anything could come out there.

What Matty said. I don't know what the industry is like at that size of business, but I'm sure the reputational damage they have taken already (with reports of detectives, smear campaigns, active 'managing out' strategies and wriggling out of bonus and contract payments) is quite significant. How difficult will it be for them to try and attract new talent and studios with their own IPs in the future if this is how you treat them when/if they become massive money earners?
  • g.man wrote:
    Actually, we don't know that. just sayin g.man

Why would they have settled if they didn't owe royalties? Bearing in mind that they relented earlier in the month and paid $42 million to the other employees.

Ok so we don't know for sure. But this strongly indicates that Activision owed their former employees a lot of money and were being shits by withholding it.
  • You're just assuming that.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Seems like a fair assumption to make.
    Get schwifty.
  • Won't this come out when Activision publish their accounts, the sort of money being talked about will surely show up.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    Won't this come out when Activision publish their accounts, the sort of money being talked about will surely show up.

Yeah, it'll show up.

"The company does not believe that the incremental one-time charges related to the settlement will result in a material impact on its GAAP or non-GAAP earnings per share outlook for the current quarter or the calendar year, due to stronger-than-expected operating performance in the current quarter."

If I could be arsed I'd work out what the minimum that would be but to have a material impact you're talking about very very large numbers, so it could still be a large number.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!