Playstation 5 - It's For The Payers
  • What kind of game did you get from the trailer that forspoken was? I don’t think I could figure out what 75% if the game was.

Ghoistwire just looked like memes to me.
  • First I have heard of Forspoken.
    Im assuming Forsaken based text adventure.

edit: Oh no, I remember that from one of the E3 time video things. Seemed to focus more on the actress than what it is.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    GoW just nailed the combat so well, combined with some nice exploration and a solid story, all wrapped in amazing looking graphics. I'd say GoW on PS4 did such a good job that you are seeing incremental gains with things like 4K and frame rate, but the frame rate boost on PS5 really did make the latter third of my play through much much better.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I thought GoW looked great. Need to restart the original before the sequel comes out
  • What kind of game did you get from the trailer that forspoken was? I don’t think I could figure out what 75% if the game was.

Ghoistwire just looked like memes to me.

Looks like a game unsure of what it is. Somewhere between a tech demo, narrative head-to-the-horizon type and something like TLG, maybe? With extra wisecracks.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    I’ll be day one GoW but it does look very cross gen. I imagine it’ll be more 4k and 60fps difference really.
    Is it cross-gen? They'll have to ditch the single-take thing to hide loading on PS4 if so.
  • The previous game mostly did the one-take thing though, iirc. Bit of disguised loading here and there but I don't remember many breaks in play.
  • JonB wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    I’ll be day one GoW but it does look very cross gen. I imagine it’ll be more 4k and 60fps difference really.
    Is it cross-gen? They'll have to ditch the single-take thing to hide loading on PS4 if so.

They didn't ditch it last time when it came out on base PS4!
    No idea what makes you think they will now.

I expect the travelling between realms will be much quicker and fast travel if there is any will be really fast on ps5.
    As well as all the 4k 60fps goodness.
  • The thing about cross gen Sony exclusives is that the originals looked so far ahead of every other console game ever (with RDR2 a notable exception) that I’m not too sure how much better they’re going to look without taking a quarter of a billion dollars and ten years on art assets to make?

I was initially a touch underwhelmed with the GoW trailer until I gave my head a bit of a wobble.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    God of War is still one of the most stunning games I've played. Ridiculous they got that out of a PS4, even at 30fps.
  • I bet if I replayed Uncharted 4 tomorrow, on my base PS4, my eyeballs would pop out again. And in finger-on-the-pulse speak that game's old as the hills now. Modern Sony exclusives tend to look great, it's pretty much a fact.
  • digi wrote:
    They didn't ditch it last time when it came out on base PS4! No idea what makes you think they will now. I expect the travelling between realms will be much quicker and fast travel if there is any will be really fast on ps5. As well as all the 4k 60fps goodness.
    That's the point though. If the sequel is designed to fit the PS5 loading times, what does that mean for the PS4 version? Last time, they created various slow walk sequences, long portal opening animations, and additional dialogue to cover the loading times. Now they won't need much of that on PS5, but they still would for a PS4 version.
  • I suspect it will still include them except maybe the portal bits will be much improved.

To be honest it was so well done in god of war, i only really noticed it when I replayed a section.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Maybe Santa Monica just know what they are doing.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Can't get over Borderlands doing the numbers game again
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I know it's so good innit
  • JonB wrote:
    digi wrote:
    They didn't ditch it last time when it came out on base PS4! No idea what makes you think they will now. I expect the travelling between realms will be much quicker and fast travel if there is any will be really fast on ps5. As well as all the 4k 60fps goodness.
    That's the point though. If the sequel is designed to fit the PS5 loading times, what does that mean for the PS4 version? Last time, they created various slow walk sequences, long portal opening animations, and additional dialogue to cover the loading times. Now they won't need much of that on PS5, but they still would for a PS4 version.

Sony have also done something crazy with their loading tech though haven’t they? They even did a little press release about it and I seem to remember both Tsushima (shudder) and LoU2 were super speedy with their loading and restarts because of this. Presume that may he how they get round it?
  • Tsushima had very fast loading times, but I've not seen anything else like that on PS4.

I mean, when one of the big things about the PS5 is its SSD and tiny loading times, it would be strange if they could replicate it on the PS4 after all.

I'm also surprised people didn't notice how much the loading was being masked in God of War. When you're using the portal room to changes realms, for example, but even in all those squeeze between a small gap bits that were everywhere last gen. That's how they got the single-take to work.
    b0r1s wrote:
    Maybe Santa Monica just know what they are doing.
    Is anyone suggesting they don't?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I bet if I replayed Uncharted 4 tomorrow, on my base PS4, my eyeballs would pop out again. And in finger-on-the-pulse speak that game's old as the hills now. Modern Sony exclusives tend to look great, it's pretty much a fact.
    Would still play like a 7
    Natch
    The Forum Herald™
  • Actually more like a 5. The graphics made it a 6.
  • Is that metric or imperial?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    A dedicated loading time can be as long or short as you want; a hardcoded animation that conceals a loading time can be made more or less concise.

The real next gen memory stuff is in, for example, moving around an environment faster than you'd be able to on a last-gen console (the PS5 Spider-Man demo they showed behind closed doors to press in the run up to the console launch) and immediately loading and unloading assets from memory so you only need to have what the camera's currently viewing in memory (Ratchet & Clank: Rifts Apart).

The improvements in PS4 loading times on Sony's first-party titles possibly do relate to the PS5 memory insomuch as games on PS4 were not only constricted by the memory speed of the PS4 but also had comparatively poor I/O optimisation because I/O apparently wasn't a high priority. Now that PS5 and Series X have come along, devs are now compelled to have good I/O optimisation, otherwise they can't take full advantage of the hardware.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Fair enough. Thanks for that. I'll still be very impressed if they match the two versions to the point they're identical barring frame rate differences. But we'll see.
  • Is the HDMI cable that comes packed with the PS5 a HDMI 2.1 ultra high speed? Doesn’t actually say anywhere. Actually says “high speed” on it. 

The XBSeX cable actually says ultra high speed.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It is. I know this for a fact.
  • Ah ok. Wonder why it doesn’t say it on there. 

Cheers.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    It is. I know this for a fact.

Looks who's changed their fuckin tune. Unbelievable.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!