X Box Series S and X thread of MS DOING IT BETTER
  • I get that argument but it doesn't necessarily have to be new games.
    I suppose it doesn't help that I find Ubisoft pallet swaps boring as there has been a run of those recently.

Also I enjoyed As Dusk Falls which was a big hitter (or at least marketed as a big release for GP) but its a short lived experience.
  • Uncle in the asian sense.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    They could have grabbed the Cuphead DLC, Klonoa, Stray, or Neon White, all completely affordable, and all in the chat recently.

I don’t think they’ve had any DLCs join GP yet, and Stray is a PS5 exclusive.

TBH, I’ve not really heard of any of the other games you’ve mentioned, maybe Tempy said something about Neon White? But I’m not sure that any of them would have had that much of an impact when people look at the lists of games being added each month, they’re all pretty niche.

Edit: actually, I’ve heard of Turtles, ofc, but they did add the new Turtles game.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Uncle in the asian sense.

I guffawed
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    They could have grabbed the Cuphead DLC, Klonoa, Stray, or Neon White, all completely affordable, and all in the chat recently.

I don’t think they’ve had any DLCs join GP yet, and Stray is a PS5 exclusive.

TBH, I’ve not really heard of any of the other games you’ve mentioned, maybe Tempy said something about Neon White? But I’m not sure that any of them would have had that much of an impact when people look at the lists of games being added each month, they’re all pretty niche.

In a "barren" time like this, these games do the business. I find it bonkers you haven't heard of Neon White, literally owned the discourse for 2-3 weeks.

But that's the point. In a time without AAA games, smaller stuff can thrive. Stray would probably not be there in November. MS just haven't been out there hustling.
  • Neon White is a Switch console exclusive I believe. I think Reg is including things MS could've brought to Xboxes with wonga.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Neon White is a Switch console exclusive I believe. I think Reg is including things MS could've brought to Xboxes with wonga.

I'm basically saying, here are games that have been out in the past 2 months that Microsoft could fucking easily have opened a pocketbook and beaten Nintendo or Sony to an exclusivity.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I mean, all these bets have to be made a long way in advance, probably years out for games which aren’t specifically being made for Xbox. Sometimes you’ll land a hit, like with SoR4, usually you won’t.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I don't think for indie games they do? My understanding was that for Shredder's Revenge, for example, it was very last minute.
  • There was a fair bit in that last big sale that I thought would have just bolstered GP a bit in recent months. Not necessarily amazing stuff but games that may have been missed in favour of other stuff at release. I realise some of these might be tied up in other deals or the pub just isnt interested in them being on GP.

Mafia Trilogy/Remake
    Borderlands series
    Sonic Colors rehash
    Dark Pictures Anthology (I think Man from Medan has been on before(also I bought this and really enjoyed))
    Resident Evil 2 remake
    Dark Souls Remaster
    MoHun
    Metro series
    Capcom Arcade collections
    Starlink

Im sure there are more. Most were pretty heavily reduced so I would assume wouldn't have broke the GP budget.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And in fact for Tunic, I'm fairly sure it was explicit that it had been last minute.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I don't think for indie games they do? My understanding was that for Shredder's Revenge, for example, it was very last minute.

You’re suggesting Stray and Neon White both of which don’t even have Xbox versions. Those would have had to have been years out.

But in general, these deals are signed way before release. There may be exceptions, but I read somewhere that they’re mostly planning months in advance.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I don't think MS need to change tack. We have good months and bad months. Same as it always will be with these services. There's more than enough to play.
  • The bad months are becoming a bit too frequent for my liking.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    That Turbo Golf Rocket League alike looks fun maybe.

I played the beta and its an absolute riot. Exactly what it says on the tin. I'm hyped and have it pre-installed, it will be perfect post FNF fodder.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

You’re suggesting Stray and Neon White both of which don’t even have Xbox versions. Those would have had to have been years out.

But in general, these deals are signed way before release. There may be exceptions, but I read somewhere that they’re mostly planning months in advance.

So maybe the point would be that Microsoft would do well to be picking up more indies at the moment rather than big studios.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Certainly they have proved successful at plugging their competitors' barren schedules this summer.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I haven't played a thing on GP in fucking months. Dunno why I keep paying tbh
  • I only paid £1 for 3 years.  Still going.  Can't remember when it expires, I should check.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Pro tip: if you can remember your start date, add three to the year to get the end date.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Microsoft's "free GPU for employees" renews on 1 Sep. A week before my last day of work. Not total coincidence...
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Pro tip: if you can remember your start date, add three to the year to get the end date.

Lies!!!
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Microsoft's "free GPU for employees" renews on 1 Sep. A week before my last day of work. Not total coincidence...

Where you headed to? The City?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Aye
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm still paying because I dip in and out of MCC and I just played Shredders Revenge *although disappointing* for free and I know I'll get the moneys worth by the end of the year.

Also I'm in that klarna plan. Although it ends in 4 months! I'll keep playing, there's always something interesting every few months, it has just been real barren recently and imo they've missed some gimmes in indie pick ups.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It's such a busy year for Switch for me that I'm really not struggling for stuff on GP. Still need to finish Octopath Traveller, still haven't dug that deep into Forza Horizon 5, have a few indies like Lake that I haven't got round to trying etc.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yeah I'm tied into All Access it whatever it was called until Oct or Nov can't remember exactly. Although I paid off the Klarna so I'm not paying anything right now.

Turtles was good for a nostalgia hit but I finished it in an evening between work and family arriving so it's not exactly long and I won't be going back.

I'm trying out different games I had dismissed before, going in with an open mind but the barrel is starting to be scraped a bit.

Xbox is my only current gen console so that probably doesn't help.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah I'd like to play Lake too
  • I played Lake in one of those Demo season things MS run.
    It's a pleasant little thing.
    Not sure if there was supposed to be a bigger story or if it's just a chill SIM type thing. Got my fill from the demo but I would defo give it a go if it appeals.
  • All access for me so I'm tied in for a while. Still have another 6 months on top of that stacked up.
    Will renew for another year once that's all done.
    Game pass is fucking brilliant
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!