@_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Wifey antennas towards the top possibly.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Tits.
  • poprock wrote:
    So we need the new improved network, no matter what.

I don’t doubt it, but I don’t buy for a single second that a technology that requires fuckin’ millions of antennae is the answer. I mean, all power to you making your living, but I don’t see it happening.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    "I think it looks cool and original"

monolith.jpg
  • I just think they’re neat
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I quite like it looking plain and boring. I don't want it to be a focal point or an ornament in my room, I want to shove it on a shelf and plug it into my tv.
  • I quite like it looking plain and boring.

This is almost signature worthy
    The Forum Herald™
  • I quite like it looking plain and boring. I don't want it to be a focal point or an ornament in my room, I want to shove it on a shelf and plug it into my tv.

Plain and non intrusive can still look nice though. It just looks far too industrial and basic for me. The vent with the green is particular urgh

SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I quite like it looking plain and boring. I don't want it to be a focal point or an ornament in my room, I want to shove it on a shelf and plug it into my tv.

Plain and non intrusive can still look nice though. It just looks far too industrial and basic for me. The vent with the green is particular urgh

I like industrial. I'm not keen on the green light, but I'm not convinced that will be a feature come retail.

• I'm not keen on the green light, but I'm not convinced that will be a feature come retail.

I hope it is. Just when turned on or off, maybe a flash when it initially starts a background download.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    That would be fine, not keen on it being on all the time though.
  • I hope it stays, I hope its in fact a powerful spot light that projects a giant Xbox logo on the ceiling like the Bat signal
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • It should also bring back the carrying handle on the back
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • That would be fine, not keen on it being on all the time though.

No I doubt that, anyone in design would surely know that’d drive people mental!
  • I like it. Here is some footage of it being fired in development.

H5Iq.gif
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • There's a strong likelihood that the fan in the top is an RGB fan, and thus you will be able to change the colour.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    52 shades of green.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It should have a glass side panel with RGB lighting that flashes PHIL MOTHERFUCKING SPENCER in neon pink every two seconds
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    At last sombody is talking sense.

• How many teraflops does this flop has
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It has unlimited flops due to the cloud.

Imagine the rendered areolas in Dead or Alive Beachball Wankden, ozno
  • I can't..I literally can't imagine anything sexual, I HAVE TO FUCKING SEE IT WITH MY OWN PEEPERS
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Ah the lesser spotted literasexual
  • It has unlimited flops due to the cloud

Ah the cloud will make crackdowns 4-5 fucking rock!!
    The Forum Herald™
  • A fan light you say?? I had imagined if the green was legit it might be the fan casing plastic or the ssd casing. Hadn’t thought of a light.

Be fucking annoying in s dim room
    PSN - minkymu
  • In theory both Ps5 and xbox are very very similar in architecture, so i assume cooling and acoustics are the same issue for both.

I find it interesting then that xbox have shown the casing first. Were they worried the designs would be too similar? So they went first??
    PSN - minkymu
  • What if it reflects in the telly? My god we’d never hear the end of it
    The Forum Herald™
  • Minkymu wrote:
    In theory both Ps5 and xbox are very very similar in architecture, so i assume cooling and acoustics are the same issue for both. I find it interesting then that xbox have shown the casing first. Were they worried the designs would be too similar? So they went first??

It will be interesting to see if Sony go with the typical flat form factor, I think the boxy Xbox design will generally be a more efficient way to cool everything. Guess it will depend on what's deemed acceptable in the Japan market. They'll be using the same basic hardware, more or less depending on how custom each of them get with AMD, but they'll have plenty of room to spec different clockspeeds and voltages to match the available cooling.
  • Minkymu wrote:
    In theory both Ps5 and xbox are very very similar in architecture, so i assume cooling and acoustics are the same issue for both. I find it interesting then that xbox have shown the casing first. Were they worried the designs would be too similar? So they went first??

It will be interesting to see if Sony go with the typical flat form factor, I think the boxy Xbox design will generally be a more efficient way to cool everything. Guess it will depend on what's deemed acceptable in the Japan market. They'll be using the same basic hardware, more or less depending on how custom each of them get with AMD, but they'll have plenty of room to spec different clockspeeds and voltages to match the available cooling.
    Surface area is far more likely To be efficient cooling
    The Forum Herald™
  • If you mean heatsink surface area then yes, though airflow is the other part of the equation. A thicker more boxy case shape will allow for fatter heatsinks and simplifies the airflow, you can have a bigger fan moving more air for a slower RPM. Think of how most laptops really struggle with cooling compared to desktops, getting good cooling in a thin package is tricky.

If you look at the Xbox One X it pulls air through the top and uses ducting to push air sideways through the heatsink, under the black cover in the picture below -

teardown_12.jpg

The PS4 Pro does something similar with a smaller fan and heatsink -

VVcHt2YWkTZVoF3L.medium

The Corsair One PC looks to have a similar footprint to the new Xbox, you can see that a single fan at the top pulls air through vent holes to pull all the heat out the top. In this case the One uses watercooling and side air vents -

corsairOne_exploded_hero_bow_3_4_starboard.jpg

And the old trashcan Mac Pro did a similar thing, I think it had a lot of design and execution issues but the basic idea for cooling is a good one in terms of cramming it all into a small package -

o2EKmAbHAAfPD2Xs.medium

You can see that the PCBs are at the outside with all the heatsink area in the centre, I would expect the new Xbox to do something similar. It's a good way of making the best use of the internal volume for cooling, though in Apple's case I think they tried to cram in too many power thirsty parts.

I've not seen any side vents on the new Xbox, so I can only assume that it draws air in from the bottom. Actually I don't think we can see if there is in fact a fan in the top, it could be in the bottom pulling air in and pushing up.

Xbox_Series_X.0.jpg

It doesn't look like there's much clearance between the bottom and the surface it's sitting on, which could be an issue with this sort of cooling design. It's been a very common flaw with cases over the years to have airflow restricted by proximity to a surface, for PC cases this is usually when you have the front fans right up against a solid front panel and drawing air through some side vents. This is not ideal, every right angle the airflow has to make will significantly reduce the pressure, you can easily test it on many PCs by running a stress test for a while then pulling the fron panel off and seeing the temps drop. A similar common problem PC cases have had is small feet that give the case a low height off of the floor, just like with the front panel this can severly restrict airflow. I would hope that the Xbox engineers have accounted for that, but it might be that the low clearance does the machine no favours.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!