CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    This game is brilliant and i'm so happy it's #1 on the Switch download chart. 

Now you know what us Early Access lot have been harping on about.

Not enough comments about the music which gets me pumped up everytime.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Loving it on switch, although pc was still good too. Fascinating to run quite far through early doors and see how that affects the narrative.
  • This is great
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Loving it on switch, although pc was still good too. Fascinating to run quite far through early doors and see how that affects the narrative.

Not a fan of it handheld, but pro controller on tv is ace.
  • Yeah I'm struggling with handheld. Things are just too small. Looks great but I can't put in a solid run away from the TV so far.

That beat that kicks in when you start a new run though? Never gets old. I just wish it carried on through other areas. The soundtrack is fucking brilliant.

I've been rocking the bow and flirting with the captain america shield which has surprised me as I'm usually a sword and board man.

It's a brilliant game. I'm not sold on the narrative and characters and exposition in between runs - it's not my thing really but it's certainly done with panache and it doesn't outstay it's welcome.

I think I'd prefer a faster way to get into my next run rather than running through the rooms with various things to tinker with but it's a minor nitpick. I'm pretty spoilt by the instant restarts of Spelunky and Isaac etc.

Proper good. Who needs a next gen console when you've got this shit??
  • So is one of the defining characteristics of 'rogues', repeating the same game/run but with different skills/weapons etc? Or is that just Hades? I'm completely unfamiliar with this genre, but I like what I've seen and heard of this.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah it's kinda what the genre means. Random elements so it's never the exact same run.
  • Yeah that’s basically correct.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Isaac
    Dead Cells
    Neon Abyss
    Hades
    Gungeon
    whatthefuckever

in that order

Slay the Spire is stood atop this pile looking mighty, laughing at Isaacs position and mocking the others.
  • Urgh. Slay the Spire is a card game. Doesn't belong. These are cool, fun action games we're talking about here, not top trumps.
  • Really enjoying how moreish this is. Just managed my 6th run and limped to the second boss encounter, but no further. Must give it a go on the tv as I'm sure it looks divine on the big screen.

Do all the weapons start with the same base damage?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Urgh. Slay the Spire is a card game. Doesn't belong. These are cool, fun action games we're talking about here, not top trumps.

I'm glad Chalice said this so I didn't have to
  • Football is the best rogue-like.
  • Definitely not the place to be wanking on about what belongs in the incredibly loose genre of rogue-like which also includes games like FTL and Invisible Inc. but if only some people here had written an article discussing its evolution eh.
  • Or there was a thread about Rogues generally.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • At least Rogue are cheaper than Eleiko.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Anywho, as a purveyor of rogues for a long ass
    time one of the things I am always a bit torn on is the slow incremental increase of power as you play it for longer. It’s why Spire, Spelunky and Isaac are the best, because they are truer to the origins and have you starting from the ground up with every run, only thing that changes is what passive/active items you’ve added to the pool and your knowledge of the game. Spire feels like the apex to me because eventually everything is a known quantity and there’s no physical skill cap to your ability to play well, it’s all reasoning and thinking, and the way every run requires you to understand it from move one as a unique experience due to the huge amount of variables is just incredible. Recall a few days ago I was watching a Jorbs video where after 6000 odd hours of playing the game he did a relic swap and got a certain scenario in the first hallway fight that he’d never seen, which is just amazing. Technically the same can happen in Spelunky and Isaac because the exact positioning of elements changes much faster, but having it crystallised in turn based stuff really hammers home the strength of the genre - the ability for a well considered game to offer almost bottomless depths due to seeded generation.

Now Hades also have the same power creep element that most action roguelikes tend to go for these days, a power curve that lets you invest in stuff to get slowly stronger run after run so that your power curve starts to march up with the game’s difficulty curve. Usually it’s the kind of thing that dampens the enjoyment of a rogue after a while. Enough unlocks and investments lead to you finding an optimum way through, or simply winning via brute force. Dead Cells tried to fix this with its Cell system, but for my money the difficulty increases were far too punitive to be attractive to anyone but the most ardent and dedicated of players.

I think this is where Hades plays an absolute blinder with its overarching meta systems - darkness and heat go hand in hand really well to offer an enriching and long lasting sense of progression. The skills in the mirror having two versions that you can swap between mean that you’re setting yourself up for almost infinite combinations of them that you can tweak at will with almost no penalty. The Heat Bounties actively encourage you to mess around with the difficulty and negative elements of the runs to earn more resources that you can pour into the weapon aspects, which in turn help you deal with the tougher elements of the game. There’s a beautiful, reciprocal relationship between the meta elements of the game that really hammers home just how brilliantly designed it is. It’s not got the limitless potential of Slay the Spire’s deck building vs act map structure, but it does establish a really strong precedent for making action roguelikes a lot more long lived when they have very set weapons and skills than previous efforts in the genre have managed.
  • After a few hours I've realised handheld mode just isn't the way to play this. When things get tricky and hectic you just can't see enough to get through it.
  • Heat 8 win, good stuff!

SPOILER_unknown.png
  • I refuse to buy this until I do.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Urgh. Slay the Spire is a card game. Doesn't belong. These are cool, fun action games we're talking about here, not top trumps.
    I'm glad Chalice said this so I didn't have to

StS has cards in it. I'll concede that.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Stupid fucking game, I was supposed to go to bed 2 hours ago. Tomorrow will be shit. Still, I got to Elysium.
  • Another run today with a genuinely absurd shield build using a hidden aspect, absolutely ridiculous damage by stacking everything on Cast, via Zeus and Poseidon. 

Made mincemeat out of everything.
  • This is such good shit isn't it?  Barely touched Mario All Stars over the weekend thanks to this, and have been thinking about it all morning here at work.  Still very much down the shallow end (like I barely use cast or call) but the fighting's great on its own and it's fun to figure out how the different bits fit together.  Very impressed!

Need to start paying more attention to what the PC early access regulars are playing - along with this I remember Hollow Knight and Slay the Spire getting love, then I jump on like a year or two late to the party.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Need to start paying more attention to what the PC early access regulars are playing - along with this I remember Hollow Knight and Slay the Spire getting love, then I jump on like a year or two late to the party.

It's a step below those names, but I'd add Pako 2 to that list. It's well out of EA now, but I got on it early, and it's a cracking little game.

(And I don't know if it's hitting consoles, but Gunfire Reborn is another to keep an eye on.)

It's a loooong way off and could still go either way, but Shattered is also worth keeping track of.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Cheers mate - I'll add those to the steam wish list.  Great price on Pako and Gunfire as is.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    Loving loving this on PC
    Controller play so fluid and fun and the dialogue and sound remind me of diablo
    GOTY so far for me.
    rest less
  • This game is great. 

Is it great enough to dethrone Isaac from top of the all time Rouj's favourite roguelike pile? Ask me in 1500 hours I guess. 

But I have seen a couple of very silly builds, including Tempy's weapon to surpass metal gear shield video above that have me hopeful it's going to do the bonkers combination of item synergy that I love in games like this and what ultimately ended up making Gungeon such a bore for me.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I've gone and bought this as well. Had enough of Spelunky 2 for now. I like this very much so far.
  • Just met and beat the first boss. Took me 3 attempts to get there cos I’m rubbish but boss was ok.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!