Hades
  • Pretty obsessed with this now it's finished. The way it uses the roguelike structure to actually strengthen its narrative is really well executed, I love a game that takes its mechanics and systems fully into consideration, and this one does it sublimely.
  • I had a run last night where my special was basically lobbing a nuclear bomb at the enemy with a decent chance to crit for ludicrous damage and another run where I had some cool dash build with extra dashes and then deflects and damage ups while dodging, a load of different boons causing status effects when I dodged, I basically spent the entire run mashing A and watching rooms explode. 

Definitely seems like there is some nice potential for power tripping in the item combos that you can combine.

Game is still great. Working my way through trying to clear 0 heat with every weapon before moving up to heat 1.

Hooks are well and truly in.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Did some writing on Hades. Not paid for or anything, so no editor, but I wanted to try and codify some thoughts i'd had on Hades.

Talking about how the narrative works with the mechanics, a separate bit about  how the overarching game works in a really smart way to keep you playing.

Spoilers for the ending if you are bothered.
  • That’s another great read Tempy. Good stuff.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Fantastic reads Temps. I had no idea about the pacts of punishment (and no do I blame you for any spoilers, i'm fine with it) and by fuck do I need to hammer this game.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Maybe I should try this some more
  • Cheers DS/Uncle!

I literally just got the proper ending after writing that too, Credits Roll and all. There's a ton of post-game stuff, but i've not done another run to see how it all works yet.

Absolutely delightful game, easily one of the best of the year by far.
  • I’ve had a quick run to the first boss. I just don’t think I’m wired right for roguelikes. Always get a sinking feeling when I’m booted back to the start. I just keep bouncing off them despite, like Dead Cells, being just what I want gameplay wise. Maybe I just need to hammer one for a few hours and push past it. Til the progression systems become a bit clearer and start feeding back.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I had to save and quit earlier but I think I'm on a winning run here. Heading into Elysium without having used death defied, and a beefed up gun. Going to kick a certain duo's arses.
  • The small screen on handheld is definitely a problem
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • I’ve been playing handheld only and been doing fine. I do have the screen quite close to my face though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • This is excellent. Played a lot yesterday and just think it's so much smarter and more entertaining than comparable games.

Echoing a bit of what Temps has said, I don't generally go for the kind of Roguelike/lite where you constantly level up towards inevitable victory, but they've worked all the systems and the narrative into it so well here that it makes perfect sense. The way the characters are written is also brilliant.

And the way it plays on their past games, like the use of the narrator. Yes.

Early days still, but clear GOTY if it keeps it going.
  • Wow. In the same year as last of us 2!

I think I’m a little cooler on the game than most. I find that mostly the game is about patience for me and I don’t get a great feeling killing the baddies (mostly I prefer to stay far away and chip away as I don’t think I’m skilled enough to get in and out). I also sort of wish the game didn’t have the meta stuff and focussed on inside the game useful stuff - like this concept you can fight through a level simply to get stuff that mostly changes the colour of something feels like flabby padding to me (I go for those because there’s one thing that’s 300 gem that looks useful).

Having said that I’m probably playing the game badly. I just mostly like to focus on choosing one of the things and then ramping up the power of that to atrocious levels.
  • I'm still enjoying this. Came close to beating it a couple of times, but I must say the repetition of the early levels is setting in a bit, despite new enemies being added into the fold. Repeating the furies over and over is getting a bit boring. I'm loving all the weapon types but the fists in particular are wild fun.

It's a superbly polished game, but I'm not into the narrative side of it at all really. The busy work between runs is grating now.

Spelunky 2 has a hold on me in a big way.
  • That interesting, I think for me, with how well written the dialogue is and the voicing work, part of what's drawing me in for doing repeat runs is all the developing conversations and stories that are happening between the characters. 

Crayon, in reference to the gem stuff and the colour changing cosmetic stuff for Hades, more stuff opens up in the contractors store over time as you purchase the things that affect the dungeons and stuff. Also the gems can be used as currency elsewhere in Hades, but just in case of spoilers, nothing more to say on that right now from me.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    That interesting, I think for me, with how well written the dialogue is and the voicing work, part of what's drawing me in for doing repeat runs is all the developing conversations and stories that are happening between the characters.
    Yeah, I'm often looking forward to getting back to the hall as i come to the end of a run to see what I can do and what's being said. And just the way the whole mythology with themes like fate and immortality and the influence of the gods fits around it is great.

I've still not unlocked the last weapon yet, so I'm still at the stage where each run feels new and different. I can see that repetition might become an issue in time, but I'm hoping it keeps introducing more stuff to make it less problematic.
  • I think for me this game is going to have longevity covered because of it's take on "Ascension" difficulty:

Heat_1995_original_film_art_3fb9c47b-12ea-478a-b89a-91c32c694b12_1200x.jpg?v=1596142904
  • Bought on the epic deal for about a fiver. Sounds like it’s worth that.
  • Wow. In the same year as last of us 2!

I think I’m a little cooler on the game than most. I find that mostly the game is about patience for me and I don’t get a great feeling killing the baddies (mostly I prefer to stay far away and chip away as I don’t think I’m skilled enough to get in and out). I also sort of wish the game didn’t have the meta stuff and focussed on inside the game useful stuff - like this concept you can fight through a level simply to get stuff that mostly changes the colour of something feels like flabby padding to me (I go for those because there’s one thing that’s 300 gem that looks useful).

Having said that I’m probably playing the game badly. I just mostly like to focus on choosing one of the things and then ramping up the power of that to atrocious levels.

I generally think you’re better off like in most rogues, having a knowledge of what every boon can do and picking rooms accordingly. The problem with focussing on just one thing is that you’re missing out on basic bonuses like the chance for Duo books to turn up, or more advanced bonuses from the Mirror like Privileged Status, which increases damage to enemies if you have two status effects on them, or the skill in the same slot that deals more damage per the number of Gods you own Boons for.

My runs tend to focus on maybe two gods that interact well in some fashion, like Zeus & Poseidon which is a very simple and obvious build, especially when you unlock the Duo boon that procs lightning on all foes that get knock back because suddenly your synergy and damage are improved drastically, especially if you’ve picked up Ruptured and Jolted, because then Privileged Status is giving you a damage bonus.

Also worth knowing when to dip out. If my build is feeling ok between split two gods and i’m missing a primary boon still, I might jump for an Athena or Artemis, to fish for deflect on dash which is a very useful skill, or all damage can crit/every action makes you fire an arrow which can turn some builds into smart guns of death.

Also Hermes is nearly a 100% pick as he has two of the best boons in the game for my money: extra dodge charges are super powerful, especially when coupled with damage on dodge effects like Ares and Dionysus, and finally Side Hustle maximises the usefulness of shops and makes Styx a real interesting proposition as you get 10 gold per mini chamber.

Essentially like every good roguelike it rests on you learning the potential outcomes of each choice you make, and maximising your build with each choice. Knowing when to add a new god, or to miss an existing one for life up or a pom of power etc is all part of the dance.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Thoroughly enjoying this, only just got past Meg so I’ve barely scratched the surface. Feel like I’m improving with every attempt and love the art and combat.
  • Long time no see!

Glad you're enjoying it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Focused now on getting another defy death. But yeah, carving through Meg and sisters like butter now, no problem. It seems that after a while you get to her through fewer chambers as well, but I may be imagining that.
  • Argh, just had a great bow build going on, made it to the Elysium boss with three death defy intact but lost it all with them down to a sliver of health. Look up from the screen and my lunchbreak has vanished behind me. Still quite addicted to this.
  • As an example of picking a good duo of Gods early on, this will 90% likely win me the run:

unknown.png

Reason being: Adamant Rail chucks out lots of shots in a short space of time, so I am getting lots of arrows. Zeus thunderbolts have a chance to crit thanks to pressure points above it. If I can get Jolted for Zeus, I'll chase Dionysis or Aphrodite on Special or Cast to get Privileged Status proccing, and if I am lucky I'll also get the Lightning Rod Duo Boon to make my casts worthwhile. Smart moves.
  • JMW wrote:
    Bought on the epic deal for about a fiver. Sounds like it’s worth that.
    Yeah it was down to £5.99 at the start of the summer last year - oh, to get a 100th of that gaming value on all the other shite I buy
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have no depth of knowledge to this, and defer to king rogue Tempy, but I will say it fucking feels good.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Just got my first win (barely played it in early access). Lightning everywhere, dashes, special and reg attack, deflect on attack and dash and it was just glorious chaos.
  • I like the sound of a reg attack.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Long time no see!

Glad you're enjoying it.

/waves
  • It's a superbly polished game, but I'm not into the narrative side of it at all really. The busy work between runs is grating now.

I've been in this boat as well.  Having completed my first (and only) successful run the other night, I wish I paid it more attention.  It does seem like the kind of thing that I'd enjoy and a lot of effort has gone into it.  It just seems like there's a few too many people to talk to.  My mind wandered when clicking though the dialogue.  Rathered just seeing what I could buy and upgrade then getting into the next run!

Think I might start a new file and giving the story a fair go.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!