META QUEST - Stand Alone VR
  • Lady hoznettes nephews loved the "first steps" demo.
    They're mostly on Nintendo stuff
    Can I ask- are there kiddie games on oculus.

And secondly, can you age restrict stuff? Like, obviously the hard thing is that you cant see / visualise what they are doing.

You can stream what they're seeing yo your phone or tv super easily, haven't don't it in years but it's dead simple albeit prone to dropping out at times. Needs an Android device or Chromecast iirc.
  • Amazingly, I don't think there is an age restriction in the app, yet.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/gaming/four-reasons-not-to-get-an-oculus-quest-2-for-kids/
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Got a friend who wants to buy a Quest 2 for her husband. Do you think it needs the 256GB model or will 128GB work? Are games getting bigger in size?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Wait for the Quest 3, the 2 will be obsolete in a few weeks.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Oh didn’t realise it was so soon!

Edit - just read up they are talking September 2023. Pretty sure she won’t wait that long.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Lady hoznettes nephews loved the "first steps" demo.
    They're mostly on Nintendo stuff
    Can I ask- are there kiddie games on oculus.

And secondly, can you age restrict stuff? Like, obviously the hard thing is that you cant see / visualise what they are doing.

You can stream what they're seeing yo your phone or tv super easily, haven't don't it in years but it's dead simple albeit prone to dropping out at times. Needs an Android device or Chromecast iirc.

Can be done on an Xbox via the AirServer app.
  • Do people let their kids use VR regularly? I'd be concerned about the effect on their eyesight.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Probably takes about 40 years to get used to normal reality, let alone virtual stuff.
  • I gave my boy a shot when he was about 6 and he ran full pelt into a wall. Kids are idiots.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    A mate at work was involved in this:

• There's footage of Zuckerberg demoing the Cambria. Everything about the clip is awful.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    A mate at work was involved in this:

I would imagine the pace of that would be nauseating in VR
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Got a friend who wants to buy a Quest 2 for her husband. Do you think it needs the 256GB model or will 128GB work? Are games getting bigger in size?

Depends if it’s only gonna be used to play Beat Saber

I definitely feel space anxiety having the 128gb version and really dislike deleting games to make room.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • New map on walkabout golf gimmie a shout lads
  • Would love to play. Just got home, gotta sort teh kids out for bedtime then sort out washing and make dinner... Will keep ya posted if I can find an hour
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Love Island has it’s hooks well in. See you come July.
  • Oh dear
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Had my first go last night thanks to mano.

Beat Saber. Hmm. Would've probably helped if I was on a fresh profile to maybe go through a tutorial of sorts. I couldn't get the depth perception completely right and I kept on failing due to the big boxes that float by you. Quick exit. One for the future and a full afternoon to learn it's ways.

Superhot demo. Okay now that's the stuff. Had played the console version so I knew the gist, and after that first "grab falling in mid air gun, turn and blast" movement, I was sold. Completely immersed. Brilliant stuff.

That mini golf one. Very, very good fun. Can see why it's a hoot in MP.

So is it the future? I'm not sure but it's very good fun. I enjoyed my brief time with it. Will have my eyes firmly set on any Quest 3 news and rumours.
  • Super hot is phenomenal in VR, glad you like it.

But... a tutorial needed for beat sabre? m8, you hit the things as the things come at you. With arrows maybe. I'm being a bastard tho, it's a cracker, will take but a minute to pick up, and is great exercise.

I actually played Alyx last night for the first time ever, good stuff. Will play more this weekend.
  • Aye, I mean, I just needed a little hand holding, some prompts or something to tell me where I was going wrong. Went in completely dry. As someone with good rhythm and decent enough history with rhythm action, I was ok there. Something just felt a bit off though. I was definitely missing something. Ah well.

In two minds to pick up a cheap PSVR, give the ol' PS4 an Indian summer.
  • I was definitely being a bastard mate, was only joshing. It's a very straight forward game and I'm sure you'll get into it given your rhythm action chops.

I'd question the value/cost of a psvr at this point and maybe save for the next iteration or a quest 2, depending on your desire.
  • No idea how much a psvr is atm tho, but if it's close to £100 I'd say save/spend on better
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Gav, welcome to your first foray into the pleasure dome!

There’s a decent tutorial for Beat Saber but sounds like you could have not been standing in the sweet spot (there’s two footprints if you look down towards your feet).

I’d wager Pistol Whip and Rez would blow you away :D
  • Aye Pistol Whip looks right up my street, and one of the main reasons I'd take a PSVR just now (to stopgap until a Quest 3) is because I have Rez sitting on my shelf for PS4 ready to go! Can't remember though if I'd absolutely need to shell out more on that Move gubbins though.

Plenty of food for thought. What's a good VR news source?
  • I tend to use https://uploadvr.com/ for consumer
    And https://www.roadtovr.com/ for hardware/business
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Aye Pistol Whip looks right up my street, and one of the main reasons I'd take a PSVR just now (to stopgap until a Quest 3) is because I have Rez sitting on my shelf for PS4 ready to go! Can't remember though if I'd absolutely need to shell out more on that Move gubbins though.

Wouldn’t want to play Pistol Whip with a cable!!!
    Messy faff to set up/put away too. Rez VR I believe is a bespoke game.
  • I want a vid of Gav playing pistol whip. He'd love it
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    SHABBA!

…and after that first "grab falling in mid air gun, turn and blast" movement, I was sold. Completely immersed. Brilliant stuff.

gAfvwjA.gif
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!