theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    But the brand name for entertainment services across all Microsoft platforms (console, phone, PC)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2012/05/29/xbox-beyond-the-box.aspx

Going to be weird seeing the name used everywhere for a TV, movies and music service.

Fare thee well Zune, we hardly knew ye.
  • Can't say I blame them, milking an established brand.
    Will be weird seeing it on things that aren't box shaped, also the whole 'X' thing is a bit late 90s X filesy for me. Was hoping the next console maybe called something totally new, but fuck it.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Funny to think how far it's come.

Related: Earlier this year MS started dropping the Windows Live and branding replacing it with just Microsoft Account, so now Live now means Xbox Live and not anything else Live.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Importantly, the name Zune is now up for grabs. It is the perfect name for a cuddly toy space dog brand.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Captain Zune and the Power Pups.

Get on it, MS.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Fuck that's actually pretty good.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    But the brand name for entertainment services across all Microsoft platforms (console, phone, PC)

Glad to see this happening. I don't think it helped Microsoft to have so many different branding styles across their products. Surprised it's taken this long, given the success of the Xbox 360, and how they've managed to take the system beyond games.

I'm still confused as to how anyone at MS thought "Zune" was a good name. Though I am still a bit sad that they didn't release the Zune HD out side of the US, that was actually quite cool little device.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • ... it's a disease.
  • They're going to have to improve DVD playback which, I discovered recently, is a total foggy mess compared to the PS3.  Either that or keep it as just a console, but they do seem rather committed.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I never had any issues with DVD play back on the 360. Then again, I've never owned a PS3 so I didn't have anything to compare it to.

Thing is, the video stuff on the 360 is so popular, I can't see Microsoft ever going back to making just consoles. Heck, the idea of something that big that I plug into my TV just to play games seems archaic now.

Am I getting this right, that iPlayer is available on 360 now? If I was still in the UK I'd be all over that. iPlayer on the Wii was a god-send, on the 360 with a better picture would be a great way of winding down after a marathon gaming session.

All this makes Nintendo's decision to not at least offer DVD playback as a downloadable function for the Wii all the more confusing. You need to give consumers as many reasons as possible to turn your device on, otherwise they're going to bugger off elsewhere. All the Wiis that are about to become landfill would make great little DVD players to stick in the spare room or mancave.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Am I getting this right, that iPlayer is available on 360 now?
    You are getting it right, yes.  And since it has to be an app, rather than a web portal, it is user-friendly and remote control friendly.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Am I getting this right, that iPlayer is available on 360 now? If I was still in the UK I'd be all over that.

Yeah, in Oz there's iview, which is the ABC equiv of BBC iplayer, and also SBS on demand. As adkm says, the menu and stuff is excellent, and basically the same across apps. Only problem with iview is that it seems to have the odd crash/drop out. Hopefully an update will sort that. Surprised NZ doesn't have an equivelant. And/or that ABC isn't on NZ system as well.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Amazon player on 360 now... XMediabox more like ZING
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Where's my Xbox tablet then? And my Xbox bath towel?
    Get schwifty.
  • Xbox essentially becomes a series of tubes
  • This is them preparing us for an epically terrible E3.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    They're going to have to improve DVD playback which, I discovered recently, is a total foggy mess compared to the PS3.  Either that or keep it as just a console, but they do seem rather committed.
    Are you still using the component cables to connect the 360 to your TV?

There was some sort of industry agreement that DVD wasn't allowed to be upscaled through that, it always looked better on mine using the VGA cable.
  • I like the idea of the unified brand, and I fucking love the media stuff that you can get now but...xbox. It's really a very shit name and reminds me of Pepsi Max, which nothing should ever do. At least we might not get anything as dumbfuck as '360' bolted on this time though...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I'm still not convinced they're not announcing their next not a console.
    Get schwifty.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Am I getting this right, that iPlayer is available on 360 now?
    You are getting it right, yes.  And since it has to be an app, rather than a web portal, it is user-friendly and remote control friendly.

Mmm, tasty. Makes me want to move back to the UK. NZ TV sucks balls.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    With 67 million of the blummin' things* sold, Microsoft calls the Xbox** a 'premium entertainment service'.

*The actual console. Not the brand.

*The overarching brand, not the box sat under your telly that lets you get called a fagnoob by spotty yank oiks.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I think they've specifically come out and said they won't.
  • This E3's going to be OMG Hlo 4
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    I think they've specifically come out and said they won't.

I think when they saw what the WiiU was doing they realised they didn't need to.

If there was actual hardware to be shown we'd have seen it by now. But I wouldn't rule out a name, a box render, a sizzle reel and a launch date.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    But I wouldn't rule out a name, a box render, a sizzle reel and a launch date.
    Not the old teaser trailer for the release date teaser trailer.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Yup.

I just don't see what the choices are. There's no way they can keep a lid on it all for another 12 months (other trade shows exist I guess).

WiiU is shaping up to be on or just above par with PS3/360, but it's risky giving them a full year of sales without teasing the existence of something bigger and more powerful Coming Soon.

Seems fairly certain that Sony aren't in a position to come out earlier than Xmas 2013, not unless they really do pull a Megaton and exit the chips and drives console market and go down the Gaikai route.

It's all gone a bit Poker player.

As an aside, I think the core Nintendo/Wii audience and the PS3/360 audience have diverged to such a point now they might not care what Nintendo do, the thinking being they'll never claw back the hardcore. I'd lean on that viewpoint.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    WiiU is shaping up to be on or just above par with PS3/360, but it's risky giving them a full year of sales without teasing the existence of something bigger and more powerful Coming Soon.
    The sort of people who'd buy a new MS console in the first few months know that something is over the horizon, the people buying a 360 now are much more likely to be oblivious. Making announcements a year in advance can only harm the 360 without doing anything for the new machine.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    The sort of people who'd buy a new MS console in the first few months know that something is over the horizon, the people buying a 360 now are much more likely to be oblivious. Making announcements a year in advance can only harm the 360 without doing anything for the new machine.

Yup. Dangerous game all right.
  • With that in mind, I suspect they'll go down the Apple route with a quick announcement followed by launch. If the performance of the 3DS and Vita are anything to go by, it takes time for new consoles to bed down. I wouldn't be surprised to see the companies going increasingly down the media content provider rather than hardware manufacturer route. Microsoft remains first and foremost a software manufacturer.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    And in all likelihood that's what their E3 will mostly consist of. Concentrate on the media/service offerings that don't rely on new hardware.

One suspects a "just one more thing" reveal isn't going to be tagged on the end, they'd host a dedicated event just like the last two. But my gut says it might be.

Potential to be the worst Xbox E3 ever. Especially if WiiU and Sony grab the headlines (assuming that streaming service pans out)
  • What are Sony potentially showing?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!