Disco Elysium - What kind of cop are you?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    5 minutes gets you a little bit of reptilian brain.
  • I just failed a jump from a roof, lost all morale, had a mental breakdown, quit the force and now live under a bridge throwing shit at passers by.

This game is hilarious
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I sat on an uncomfortable chair and died
  • Christ I really love this game, it's absolutely glorious. So glad I held off on playing it until the Final Cut release. These voiceovers are doing a much better job of the work than my imagination ever could.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Yes, I was one of the three. Really appreciated that grammatical curveball at the end.
    Christ I really love this game, it's absolutely glorious. So glad I held off on playing it until the Final Cut release. These voiceovers are doing a much better job of the work than my imagination ever could.

I'm glad you're glad. No voices could ever match my imagination - but more importantly, keep up with my reading speed - so I believe I did it right as well.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Christ I really love this game, it's absolutely glorious. So glad I held off on playing it until the Final Cut release. These voiceovers are doing a much better job of the work than my imagination ever could.

Apparently half of the 1 millions words spoken are by the one guy (a jazz musician) who is playing all the facets of your mind. What a gig.
  • What’s the deal with thoughts? I only have space for 3. Is it worth discarding one or do the slots get expanded somehow? I quite fancy the role of anarcho-nationalist as I can imagine it would open up possibilities in some impending encounters, but not sure if it’s worth the price.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    What does internalising thoughts do?
  • It seems that you do it to allow the concept to influence your conversation options
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Or in more classic RPG terms, they give you various stat boosts and traits, which can be both positive and negative.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's generally negative until it's fully internalized. Then it gives you bonuses.
  • I've got a lot of appreciation for how it seems as though you're not really supposed to play it like a game, or at least not like any other game. I'm not sure I've played anything before that incentivises leaving conversational avenues unexplored.

So it seems this isn’t actually true, at least not in the sense I thought it was. I assumed that when I get tips from the parts of my brain that are well statted, that these hints were guiding my conversations options away from the least profitable branches of the dialog tree. But actually in many instances the opposite is true, and it appears there is nothing to gain by leaving certain topics unspoken?

Sometimes I will get reminded that particular conversation paths will influence a character’s opinion of me, but I’m not sure I’ve noticed any modifiers taking place. That’s a shame I guess.

Also, is there any reason to discard thoughts when they occur? This seems to be an option whenever an idea randomly pops up, but I’m not sure why I would do that if it just means my playthrough has less content.

Still, this is so my thing. Not the best game ever, but certainly one of my favourites. Forcing myself to go to bed last night wasn’t easy
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Trying to play this on PS5 and it's a fucking chore. You sometimes have to press x multiple times to interact with things, game crashes alot and frame rate chugs like fuck. There's just been a patch now, hope it's better as I'm really enjoying it.
  • Quick question for people who have completed the game. I would appreciate an answer without further spoilers 
    Spoiler:
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well it happened there in my playthrough too, so I'd say it's where it should appear in the script. Although there are lots of choices the story is quite linear.
  • I'm not sure if I ballsed up my playthrough by avoiding inspecting the body. At some point early on people we complaining about the smell and that was all the encouragement I needed in deciding to leave it there, just to get a reaction. But..
    Spoiler:
  • Kow wrote:
    Well it happened there in my playthrough too, so I'd say it's where it should appear in the script. Although there are lots of choices the story is quite linear.

okay thanks
  • Just trying to figure out if I need to replay the whole game or just the last section to make sense of things
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think what you do triggers stuff to happen because I squandered a few days pissing about and that event didn't occur.
  • Same. I think I  maybe did just enough to trigger the event but definitely not enough for any of it to make sense.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Spoiler:
  • Playing it through again. It's not the best game of all time, but it's certainly one of my favourites. I regret that my misunderstanding of some of the gameplay mechanics somewhat spoilt my first playthrough. Would love to witness the story unravel in a cohesive manner first time around. Going over much of it again naturally isn't as exciting, but I'm still enjoying it, and there's quite a bit of variation already.

Managed to get myself over 200 real on day 1! Though the method is a bit sneaky. 
    Spoiler:
  • Jesus what a fucking game. I'm actually envious of people who haven't played this through yet. It really got in my head like nothing else. Just finished my perfect playthrough, taking me to 100 hours of playtime to complete every conceivable quest. I guess I'm done with it, although a tiny bit tempted to go through one more time just fucking everything up.

I would actually write the developers fan mail if I could find a way to contact them. Best best best
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's petty unique. I don't think there's any other game that I've looked at everything just to see what happens, and read every word, so good is the writing.
  • I'm honestly blown away. Christ, the writing. But also the tone and delivery, as set by the voice acting. I really couldn't imagine a better fit for the narrator than whoever it is that got the job. When he speaks- about almost anything- it's like someone is lightly tickling my humour receptors with a feather. But the other characters are superb too. Garte, the shop girl, Measurehead, Evrart, Kim, and probably more that I can't remember just now. It's so well done that it actually managed to persuade me to abandon my usual approach to these things, which is most often just trying to piss everyone off as much as possible. I def found myself becoming more responsible as the story progressed.
  • could a game like this work if it never affirmed your investigative decisions? For example, here there is one murderer, and the game inevitably leads you to finding them. But what if it didn't do that, and instead the player could conclude the experience arresting someone innocent, perhaps even unknowingly? What if the game gave you the info to make the ‘right’ decision- because a careful consideration of all the clues pointed to a particular culprit- but it never acknowledged whether or not justice was ultimately served?  
    I can’t really decide whether this would work or not, but would be interested to hear peoples’ thoughts
  • It could definitely work, but of course the sheer amount of content required to support that outcome would be soberingly vast. I hope they made a fucking mint from this one, on that basis.
  • could a game like this work if it never affirmed your investigative decisions? For example, here there is one murderer, and the game inevitably leads you to finding them. But what if it didn't do that, and instead the player could conclude the experience arresting someone innocent, perhaps even unknowingly? What if the game gave you the info to make the ‘right’ decision- because a careful consideration of all the clues pointed to a particular culprit- but it never acknowledged whether or not justice was ultimately served?   I can’t really decide whether this would work or not, but would be interested to hear peoples’ thoughts

I think Paradise Killer does something like that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!