Are 50 pound notes genuinely rare in the UK?
‹ Previous1234567
  • Red post boxes, poppies, black rod, the Queen; it's safe to say the UK is a strange place, but today I heard a new one for the first time:

That 50 pound notes are rare. And so rare in fact that most people haven't seen one in many years, others have never spent one and generally shops refuse it.

This blew my fucking mind, this isn't some provincial yokel trying to spend Scottish or God fucking forbid Northern Irish Sterling down the London but a crisp English 50 bob being out of bounds.

In Ireland it's not possible to get a 20 out of the atm about 70% of the time, because they always run out and tenners are legendary for only appearing in universities ATMs.

Now the 100 euro note is a rare enough sight and if you had 200s it's quite you are involved in some dodgy shit but I can't fathom having a maximum of just 20 quid. It seems unwieldy on a different level.

So is it true and if so who would you like to put on my new proposed £35 note?
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Shops tend to refuse them because they are often fake (or at least thought to be).

Cash machines don't issue them so they are very rarely in circulation.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You get them if you get large sums it from the back, so they're coming amongst trades that work that way (often cash in hand)
  • Seen plenty of £50 notes at the bar I work at, and many many more at the Vaults when people are buying gold.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t know if they’re quite as rare as you’re being led to believe, I spent one last week, although that was the first I’d seen in a while, TBF. Back when I worked in retail there’d usually be a few in the till at the end of the day.

I wouldn’t try to hand one over for anything under about £20 in a cornershop, chippy, cab or pub, but in most large shops it’s unlikely to be refused.
  • In Ireland you do often get the "look" when you use a 50 for something small but mainly that's just a sign of the appalling customer service here. Special shout out to Bus Eireann.

Everyone knows the atm often won't give anything but multiples of 50.

Japan on the other hand you can pay for a ¥100 coffee with a ¥10,000 note without any problem. Fucking Omotenashi, bitches.

Wind Waker is a bad game
  • I almost never took £50 notes in my time in bars and retail.
  • I've only ever seen fifties when I played poker.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Only ever seen 50s when I worked on the flooring dept at John Lewis.
    I'm not saying this is true of all 50 users but every single one I served looked a shady fuck.
    Full on Sexy Beast fake tan and wife that's more tits and lips than anything else.

Got given a $100 bill one birthday just before a holiday to America, back when that was near enough £50. I didnt want to spend it for ages because I liked having it.
    Eventually bought Pokemon Blue and a GBC.
  • The other problem is that if they are fake the loss can be huge. Not worth the risk I think.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The other problem is that if they are fake the loss can be huge. Not worth the risk I think.
    Especially if the shop make the minimum wage cashier foot the bill.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I almost never took £50 notes in my time in bars and retail.

I mostly worked in clothes shops in central London. Loads of 50s given to tourists at the bureau de change, loads of items that cost £50+.

I have refused them on occasion on the basis of being unable to change them. A standard till float was £100 in my time, over half of which was coins. I’d have been unlikely to be able to make £40 in change first thing in the morning.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The other problem is that if they are fake the loss can be huge. Not worth the risk I think.

Most shops I worked in had those note checking pens from the bank.
  • Only ever had some £50's once when I got a deposit back from a private landlord, this was about 12 years ago.

Tried to use in a pub and they didn't accept. Think I cashed them in at the bank, never to be seen again.
  • Who carries cash these days?
  • Like kneecap, I'm kinda amazed. Plenty of 50 and 100 euro notes around here.

The 200, if I'm not mistaken though, is being taken out of circulation. We won't take one in the restaurants as its a bigger to lodge. As for the 500 euro note...
    SFV - reddave360
  • nick_md wrote:
    Who carries cash these days?

Many people, so they can tip me.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Don't put black polish on white shoes.
  • If I had the time and inclination I could probably break the forum by posting in the 101 thread with all the awful shit people do at bars that make me want to kill them.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Who carries cash these days?
    HALLO
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Pounds, shillings and pence.
  • Haircuts
    Kebabs
    Tips
    Quid for the trolley
  • I have a few pound coins for the pinball machine but that's it.
  • Oh haircuts is a good one, yeah that too.
  • You don't tip at bars? feelsbadman
  • *clicks cancel button on chip and pin machine to give tempu zero p*
  • It's every man for himself now tempu, work harder
  • Chip and Pin tips don't go to the server!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    You don't tip at bars? feelsbadman

I would if I ever had cash, but I never do. It does feel bad.

Honestly, the best use I could put an ATMs to would be to offer me a fiver, three £1s and a £2 just for tipping purposes via a chip and pin tap. I’d probably use them regularly for that.
  • I never like tipping via the chip & pin.
    I prefer my tip to go to the server who looked after me, or split from there if they have a system between servers and other staff.

On the machine I am convinced it disappears up the arse of management.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It also doesn’t help the situation that when I do have some change on me, I almost always end up giving it to a homeless person.
‹ Previous1234567

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!