How to Start a Pension in the Face of Economic Armaggedon
  • Yeah if you're going to dabble keep it fun but reserved.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Market tanked so hard last night it hit my latest investment's Stop Loss. Was 50% up at peak and came out with 20%.

Onto the next one.
  • If you want to see some interesting opinion against Crypto, this guy is worth a read (and a follow on Twitter).

https://davidgerard.co.uk

Good example...

https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/2021/03/11/nfts-crypto-grifters-try-to-scam-artists-again/
  • I've got the VANGUARD INV UK LT U.S. EQUITY INDEX GBP ACC

I have this too (as part of a wider VANGUARD LIFESTRATEGY 100% EQUITY fund).  Heavily diluted, but all stocks. Over time I will drop down the lean towards equity. 80%, then 60% etc when approaching retirement. Assuming the fund itself is still a good performer.

It's ridden out the last year or so well. Crashed. Recovered. I kept on putting in when it was down, so in theory I bought some units cheap.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You can also get multiple articles and feedback from peeps pro NFTs.

Like any new space, there are of course scam artists out there. There's been multiple rug pulls in crypto, just a couple months ago there was a $35 mil rug pull.
  • Sorry, new to this thread, so another one from me. Just some more ideas for "light" investing.

eToro has worked well for me. I put some money into a CopyTrade and it's performing well. Realistically the minimum investment is probably a few hundred £. Crucially, there is exposure to both stocks and crypto (as well as currency swaps I think), so if that floats your boat, it's a winner. It's not ISA wrapped though, but since capital gains is only payable after a lot of profit, it's no biggie.

A CopyTrade is a bit like investing into a fund. You put money into your account and then "copy" someone. For every trade they make, you will automatically make the equivalent trade. This is a really nice feature.

Also, for something that feels a bit more real, I've used Crowdcube to invest in a couple of start-ups. You can put in a really small amount (or a lot!) and you actually own a piece of a private company. You will get your share documents and can actually buy into something you believe in that could change the world. It's more interesting than just buying the latest pump stock.

https://www.crowdcube.com
  • You can also get multiple articles and feedback from peeps pro NFTs. Like any new space, there are of course scam artists out there. There's been multiple rug pulls in crypto, just a couple months ago there was a $35 mil rug pull.

I mostly see pro stuff from Twitter hashtag idiots, so just tempering it with some well written and researched words.

I have some Crypto btw. I don't believe in most of the projects at all. Just riding the wave along with 99% of other investors.

Can you give me a positive contribution for NFTs that isn't gambling and speculation?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    drumbeg wrote:
    You can also get multiple articles and feedback from peeps pro NFTs. Like any new space, there are of course scam artists out there. There's been multiple rug pulls in crypto, just a couple months ago there was a $35 mil rug pull.

I mostly see pro stuff from Twitter hashtag idiots, so just tempering it with some well written and researched words.

I have some Crypto btw. I don't believe in most of the projects at all. Just riding the wave along with 99% of other investors.

Can you give me a positive contribution for NFTs that isn't gambling and speculation?

Not really, just as I can't really give a positive contribution for art investments bar 'it looks pretty'. Like that market, NFT desire sets price.

Its a new space that has taken off literally two months ago and will have kinks to be ironed out. Similar to art and forgeries. Sure NFTs have been around for years but the concept has inly recently gone big.

Dangerous game though as once the bubble bursts you're fucked. Or, the bubble doesn't burst.

As for believing in crypto projects, I held my last one for weeks and ignored other potential profits as its truly doing some good in the space, in conflict stricken countries.

• NFT's are absolute horseshit. Gave us this though:

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I dunno, two NFT tokens made me insane gains. Fine by me if rich people wanna buy jpegs for hundreds of thousands.
  • Not really, just as I can't really give a positive contribution for art investments bar 'it looks pretty'.

Art is really interesting. I consider art as a market to pretty much be about status and speculation. I think of it as being pretty different to just "creating stuff". So yeah, I don't really think NFTs have changed that (other than you don't actually own any art in a meaningful sense).
  • Can we keep the crypto talk in the crypto thread please? Asking nicely.

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    What did you sell?

Eehh
  • What did you sell?
    Eehh
    Nudes of Dante, confirmed...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • FTSE Developed World ex-U.K. Equity Index Fund - Accumulation

Is this what I want to just whack money into every month for the next few decades, then? All the lingo is baffling and I'm really tired. Looks right.
  • The principle is right but I'd be wary of funds like that. It may well make you a fortune but it's far safer tracking a larger array of more reliable markets. The USA is a very safe and profitable bet. 

I'd probably read the first few pages of this thread again but it you decide that's the fund for you keep an eye on it. With USA trackers you can kind of forget about them unless something mental happens at some point with China.
  • FTSE Developed World ex-U.K. Equity Index Fund - Accumulation

Is this what I want to just whack money into every month for the next few decades, then? All the lingo is baffling and I'm really tired. Looks right.

Go back to page 1 and read SG's lengthy post dude.
  • Actually, looking at it it has quite a lot of USA exposure.
  • Actually yeah it's not bad but I would say it's quite expensive for a passive tracker. Seems ok though.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    FTSE Developed World ex-U.K. Equity Index Fund - Accumulation

Go back to page 1 and read SG's lengthy post dude.

If only I'd thought of that... ;)

Thanks, SG. I'll peek at a few other options too.
  • I mean it's fine really, but I'd maybe try something around 0.06% for the fund charge. Those costs really do add up over time.
  • I pay two sets of fees for the fund in my pension. The product service fee itself, then a fee for my financial advisor who set it up.

Wondering whether to cut him loose, as all he does is get in touch once per year to tell me what I already know and asks if my risk level has changed.

I'm sure there are good ones and bad ones, but any point in keeping a financial advisor around when you aren't planning on making changes any time soon?
  • On average they're a waste of money - see start of thread. DIY means you can just cut him out but be careful, if it's not a tracker fund then you will need help managing it. The beauty of trackers is you can 'set and forget' as they automate for you.
  • Thanks. I've taken a look and checked the linked article in the OP.

I'm not making my own individual investments. Everything is in the Vanguard LifeStrategy accumulated equity fund (https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investments/vanguard-lifestrategy-100-equity-fund-accumulation-shares), which in turn is made up of many other funds (US, UK, developing world equities...). Some of which have been mentioned on this thread.

I think I'll cut the advisor loose, as to my mind I'm paying him for nothing.
  • Hello. I don't think I've really contributed much to this rather lovely forum but this thread is the exception and I feel a sense of responsibility to those who've invested. As always do nothing rather than something if in doubt, except to add more money on a regular basis. 

Don't forget Fidelity will start charging more soon (if Cavendish) so look into swapping platforms. If really panicking then really try hard to ignore it, barring a nuclear war, but if you must [email protected].
  • Nice to see you mate. I trust you're keeping well?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • SG, hey!

I assume you went all in on GME as well?
  • Don't forget Fidelity will start charging more soon (if Cavendish) so look into swapping platforms.

I absolutely had forgotten about this. Guess I’d better do some research into who to move to, at some point. The how part shouldn’t be a problem if it’s just cashing out and buying in elsewhere.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Let me know when you’ve done the hard work Poppo. I didn’t realise the fees were going up.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!