Ghost of Tsushima - the PS4's swansong?
  • You'll catch on and it all becomes a bit too easy tbh.
  • Yeah it's all about recognising which enemies you're fighting and switching stances in the flow of the fight. Sometimes it falls apart and becomes a button mashing frantic mess, but eventually you get the hang of it and are moving through the enemies, cutting them down with grace and violence. Its the most cinematic and satisfying combat I've ever had in a game when it comes together.
  • I've got to admit I'm not loving my time with this. There's enough I like about to keep me playing but I'm considering dropping it down to easy for a push through the story.

The combat is good, but I don't enjoy it as much as certain other games that most would argue had worse fight systems - Shadow of Mordor and Mad Max being the prime examples. They're far more basic but I find their rhythm more fun to the point where I'd instigate skirmishes just dispatch groups of enemies in those games, whereas in this I tend to either hide or run from unnecessary engagements.

Perhaps it's doing nothing wrong and it just doesn't fit into whatever requirements I have for open world games, but I'm just not really feeling it. I assume I've barely scratched the surface too, as I've only just
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah still pretty early
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've got to admit I'm not loving my time with this. There's enough I like about to keep me playing but I'm considering dropping it down to easy for a push through the story. The combat is good, but I don't enjoy it as much as certain other games that most would argue had worse fight systems - Shadow of Mordor and Mad Max being the prime examples. They're far more basic but I find their rhythm more fun to the point where I'd instigate skirmishes just dispatch groups of enemies in those games, whereas in this I tend to either hide or run from unnecessary engagements. Perhaps it's doing nothing wrong and it just doesn't fit into whatever requirements I have for open world games, but I'm just not really feeling it. I assume I've barely scratched the surface too, as I've only just
    Spoiler:

You are early in the game, but the basic mechanics aren't going to change that much. Granted there are a load of moves/abilities to learn to make things feel varied.

The main campaign doesn't overstay its welcome. I found I was getting a little bored so I stuck to the main quest and got it done quicker than I thought I would. Just stick to that main quest and ignore the side stuff and it won't take too long. 

Have since started playing again for the co-op stuff, but I do really enjoy the combat in this game, it's the thing that kept me going on my solo playthrough.
  • I've mostly been doing the main quest, I think, although I have reclaimed two forts which seemed to be optional. Fast travel would help, I assume it's coming but I'm not sure if it unlocks at a set point or if I have to do something to activate it.
  • Yeah, the game has fast travel. Not sure when it activates though. Can't remember.

Makes going from quest to quest very quick indeed.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Uh pretty sure fast travel is there from the start?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    But you can't necessarily do it if midway through a quest
  • Yep, fast travel is there from the off. You can't fast travel to the actual missions, but you can fast travel to most other places by pressing triangle on a location on the map. I'm not sure I would have found that myself, sinple as it sounds, given that I've had no desire to go anywhere off piste (thus far).
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's pretty useful even if but going off piste, cos some missions after miles away and you can fast travel to nearby.

Plus the loading speed is mind-blowing (on PS4 as well as PS4, aiui...)
  • The cinematic standoffs in this are outrageously good. I've dropped the difficulty down to easy and once I come to terms with the fact that it's gone from 'surprisingly tricky' to 'absolute pushover' I reckon I'll be fine to push on.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    It's pretty useful even if but going off piste, cos some missions after miles away and you can fast travel to nearby.

Plus the loading speed is mind-blowing (on PS4 as well as PS4, aiui...)

Wasn't moaning, the system in place is fine and I'll use it constantly now. Load timed are surprisingly short.
  • Managed to find my mojo with this yesterday, put maybe 2hrs in and have now
    Spoiler:
    Fast travel FTW.
  • My thoughts on this.
    So I guess I haven't helped settle the argument as I'm kinda in the middle.
  • Got this yesterday and really impressed with it on PS5. Nice audio and looks great.

However, the camera. It has a weird hybrid auto lock on, auto rotate action. So I can be fighting someone, backing off and the camera will swing around so I can no longer see who I'm fighting.

I hate auto rotating cameras and appreciate the option to be able to turn it off in Nioh 2, for example.

And I'm all for games with no lock on but no lock on and auto rotating camera? Who thought that was a good idea?

Rest of the game seems awesome.
  • I started playing this again this week. I've just took castle Kenada or whatever it's called. It was a lot of fun. The visuals, sword play and stand off /boss battles are all wonderfull. Far away cut scenes still bother me but the game is a treat to play.
  • I honestly found this game hit it's stride from act 2 (if you're treating each part of the island as an act). I fid a lot of grind on part one to clear all of the side quests, so my armour and weapons and charms were at a good state. After this I prioretised just the main story and character tales and picked up side quests only as I cane to them.

I think this game (like Second Son) is at its best when you're involved with the story. The busy work is its weakest part.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • thread title should probably be changed seeing as GT7 etc. are PS4
  • Well this was the last PS4 game to be developed before the actual release of the PS5. And whilst many games like GT7 are being released as cross gen titles, Ghost was the last true PS4 game before the advent of next gen.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Started this having bought it for cheapish.

I mean, it looks stunning but....seems like Far Cry? Also has the worst camera in the history of gaming to the point where I'm finding some fights completely unplayable. I have very little desire to load it back up tbh. Was looking forward to it too.
  • Canberra is fine

Sure is. How’s the camera though ?
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Dreadful.
  • You do your own camera so there's only yourself to blame.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Not when the screen fills with a fence halfway through a fight so you can't see what's going on.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s a feature to simulate the difficulties of close quarter fighting!
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Its annoying. I'll go back when I'm done with MM.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!