Ghost of Tsushima - the PS4's swansong?
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I need to get Horizon too. It seemed to get underrated because BOTW sucked the air out of the room but I imagine Horizon II's gonna be a pretty big deal and I'd like to play the original first.

Do you have a PS4? I have jonb's copy of Horizon. Happy to pass on (if he doesnt want it back)
  • Got some birthday cash and now buying this Digital using Shopto’s Sale for Top up cards
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Happy birthday dear Gaz
  • Aye, happy birthday Gaz!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'm quite interested in this. I don't often play open world games since vice city, my total time on shitty asscreed is two hours or so, and BOTW is the only one I have thoroughly played and loved.

I read Musashi last year so I'm amenable to a game set in a believable if not authentic samurai themed feudal Japan. Hopefully my PS4 remains at ground level when I play it.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Happy birthday dear Gaz
    g.man wrote:
    Aye, happy birthday Gaz!

Cheers chaps, a young 49 - where does it fucking go!!!!
  • Damned if I know mate!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Happy birthday dear Gaz
    g.man wrote:
    Aye, happy birthday Gaz!

Cheers chaps, a young 49 - where does it fucking go!!!!

I’m 48 on Saturday-!

I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • 6 in edge
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Ouch.
    Get schwifty.
  • Vela wrote:
    6 in edge

I honestly thought this was in response to Bob saying he was turning 48 this Saturday.

As if '48' was actually '6' in Edge years.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Watched a vid review last night and this seems fine as, will grab it at some point in a sale.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    6 in edge

I honestly thought this was in response to Bob saying he was turning 48 this Saturday.

As if '48' was actually '6' in Edge years.

Maybe it was bobs review :p
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    6 in edge
    I honestly thought this was in response to Bob saying he was turning 48 this Saturday. As if '48' was actually '6' in Edge years.

Hah! You’re not the only one!

I thought they would go with 6 or 7.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Edge review reads like a 7 fwiw.  No way of locking onto individual opponents sounds a bit "eh?" though, and the slightly iffy camera controls gets a mention.
  • A proper Samurai doesn't require a 'lock on'.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • That was brought up in the review I watched last night, yer man didn't seem to find it troublesome - maybe there's some kind of stickiness to the attacks, like it homes in. Jon can probably chime in here.
  • It does make sense to not have lock-on, because you're often surrounded and having to deal with more than one enemy at once. But it does have some issues.

You can use the left stick to sort of home in on a particular target, but I found it unreliable. There were definitely times I just couldn't attack the enemy I wanted to, and obviously it gets trickier in a big scrap.

And the camera doesn't seem to rotate at all automatically, which can get awkward. Sometimes you end up with an obstacle obscuring your view or attacking an enemy who's barely on screen. There are barely any battle in interior locations though, so it's not a huge problem.

I think once you get used to it, it's a sporadic annoyance rather than a constant hindrance. It forces you to play more tactically, I suppose, in that you try and isolate one or two enemies at a time, to keep them in view. It's going to get confused if you try and take on 6 at once, but you deserve to get speared if you do that anyway.
  • JonB wrote:
    It does make sense to not have lock-on, because you're often surrounded and having to deal with more than one enemy at once. But it does have some issues. You can use the left stick to sort of home in on a particular target, but I found it unreliable. There were definitely times I just couldn't attack the enemy I wanted to, and obviously it gets trickier in a big scrap. And the camera doesn't seem to rotate at all automatically, which can get awkward. Sometimes you end up with an obstacle obscuring your view or attacking an enemy who's barely on screen. There are barely any battle in interior locations though, so it's not a huge problem. I think once you get used to it, it's a sporadic annoyance rather than a constant hindrance. It forces you to play more tactically, I suppose, in that you try and isolate one or two enemies at a time, to keep them in view. It's going to get confused if you try and take on 6 at once, but you deserve to get speared if you do that anyway.

Sweet, thanks for the insight.
  • because...
  • So far it just captures my idea of what it would feel like to be a Samurai. I like a lot of the little things, for example instead of waypoints or directional lines the direction of the wind telling you where to go. However generic bits of it obviously are, I couldn’t care less as long as I enjoy the package. Still very early on but I’m liking it so far.
  • Only played for about an hour and till the opening credits, fuck me this is gorgeous on the Pro with a 4K tv and I’m loving the audio to.

The bit where you get the opening credits, I had fucking goose bumps.

Only tried the combat for a bit and It’s good enough for me, the lock on wasn’t too much of an issue but the first time you fight someone the camera was a bit pants.

Playing using subtitles and it’s good but it could be difficult reading the them and trying to play the game.
  • It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    That gaming rut i've been in for the past few months has clearly been broken by this game.

I played maybe 5 hours yesterday, but more importantly went to bed early then woke up at 7am today, and after coffee etc, booted this up and have been playing non-stop (yes i took a break for shower & lunch, and then another around 4pm when my thumb hurt. What do you take me for? A sweaty heathen?)

So, the game: its not revolutionary, or even close, but it has that certain 'something' thats difficult to describe. A flow that feels good. Natural. Not forced in any way.

Yes, its another generic open world adventure, and yes, the graphics sway from gorgeous to suspect. But the selling point is the combat which is utterly sublime! And a new benchmark for open world games!

It feels satisfying. It has heft and a "thunk" that hits hard. Forget AssCreed, forget Batman, that shit is old food. This is waaayyyy beyond all that, to the point you could compare it to proper action games and it stands up. And! the more skills you unlock, the more depth is revealed. 

Okay, downers: the story and characters are mediocre at best. But is that why you're here?  No! Its to gallop full speed into a crowd, leap off the horse, plunge attack that guy, evade, kunai the second, then sprint mid-slice the archer who was tee-ing you up. And thats a baby encounter. I'm onto Act 2 and i've seen and done some crazy shit. 

All of which can be tailored to your style through charms. I always play like a rat (we know that). I have charms equipped that work for my hit & run approach. And its so flexible. I'm excited to see what comes next.

In summary: Today i'm happy. You don't need to buy this game, because its not gonna blow you're mind. Its just exactly what i wanted and needed right now.
  • Curtis wrote:
    That gaming rut i've been in for the past few months has clearly been broken by this game.

I played maybe 5 hours yesterday, but more importantly went to bed early then woke up at 7am today, and after coffee etc, booted this up and have been playing non-stop (yes i took a break for shower & lunch, and then another around 4pm when my thumb hurt. What do you take me for? A sweaty heathen?)

So, the game: its not revolutionary, or even close, but it has that certain 'something' thats difficult to describe. A flow that feels good. Natural. Not forced in any way.

Yes, its another generic open world adventure, and yes, the graphics sway from gorgeous to suspect. But the selling point is the combat which is utterly sublime! And a new benchmark for open world games!

It feels satisfying. It has heft and a "thunk" that hits hard. Forget AssCreed, forget Batman, that shit is old food. This is waaayyyy beyond all that, to the point you could compare it to proper action games and it stands up. And! the more skills you unlock, the more depth is revealed. 

Okay, downers: the story and characters are mediocre at best. But is that why you're here?  No! Its to gallop full speed into a crowd, leap off the horse, plunge attack that guy, evade, kunai the second, then sprint mid-slice the archer who was tee-ing you up. And thats a baby encounter. I'm onto Act 2 and i've seen and done some crazy shit. 

All of which can be tailored to your style through charms. I always play like a rat (we know that). I have charms equipped that work for my hit & run approach. And its so flexible. I'm excited to see what comes next.

In summary: Today i'm happy. You don't need to buy this game, because its not gonna blow you're mind. Its just exactly what i wanted and needed right now.

That's probabley the most positive thing I've heard about this so far. Shadow of Mordor is genuinely in my top 3 games this gen mostly because of how satisfying the combat is, the flow of the encounters and the taking of heads never gets old. I'm getting that vibe from one or two people about this. I don't care for all the map icons and stuff and I was able to ignore all that and enjoy SoM for what I enjoyed it to be. Im thinking this will definitely get purchased at some point now, think I need to watch a few vids to decide how much I want it.

• I bounced quite hard off SoM because despite the combat being quite morerish, it felt too 'gamey' with all the icons everywhere. Following the wind with Ghost sounds likes a better plan to help minimise 'gamefication' of the open world.
  • Noticed this was being advertised on Film4 last night.
    The devs have done an amazing job in creating some gorgeous visuals for this, combined with all the film filters and what not it looked fantastic in all the trailers purely from a visual standing.

The TV spot on the other hand uses the classic "not gameplay footage" tag, ditches all that Samurai movie influence and makes it look like generic gameplay.

God knows what they were thinking. Why ditch the movie loveliness?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Especially on Film4.

Ad should come on in black and white with the subtitles and a cut scene. At a glance people think it’s a new film then it swings into gameplay and up pops “only on PS4” etc.

They can have that one for free.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!