PC Monitors & TVs thread
  • When I get around to updating our telly, I still don’t really expect to be seeing much in 4K. Games, yes. But not much else.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I’ve never seen a TV at that resolution. 4K is the norm now tbf.

So what's the point of the Series S targeting 1440p as its optimal resolution, unless you're running it through a monitor?  Will 4K TVs either display it at 1080p or (upscaled to?) 4K, or will the display be in between if the console is set to output at 1440?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I think you’ll be surprised. Especially combined with HDR. But that obviously depends on the size of the scree. Good quality 4K HDR is very obvious to me.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    I’ve never seen a TV at that resolution. 4K is the norm now tbf.

So what's the point of the Series S targeting 1440p as its optional resolution, unless you're running it through a monitor?  Will 4K TVs either display it at 1080p or (upscaled to?) 4K, or will the display be in between if the console is set to output at 1440?

4K TV up scaling from 2k will be better.

But I’d also argue that there are a lot of great 1440p 27” to 34” monitors out there. This would be a great gaming PC replacement of you have an ageing PC.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    4K TV up scaling from 2k will be better.

Makes sense, ta.  So obvs if the TV is doing the extra legwork with the display that won't impact on framerates/smoothness of games, right?  Just thinking about long term really, I expect I'll get a series S sooner rather than later as they seem so bargainous, but it's unlikely my current HDTVs will last as long as the console.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Something to bear in mind is I’ve looked into the Series S as I was very tempted by it and I think it’s more likely to be a solid 1080p machine rather than a 1440p machine. As I recall from some of the analysis the main concern has actually been the ram speed and amount. Think we’d need Gurt to step in here but while the CPU and GPU are relatively not that far apart the ram is significantly slower than the X.
  • poprock wrote:
    When I get around to updating our telly, I still don’t really expect to be seeing much in 4K. Games, yes. But not much else.
    b0r1s wrote:
    I think you’ll be surprised. Especially combined with HDR. But that obviously depends on the size of the scree. Good quality 4K HDR is very obvious to me.

I just meant that I don’t expect to have many (any?) 4K sources for TV and film.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ahh ok

Netflix and Amazon are doing great stuff in a lot of their original programming. I’m a fan of Apple TV movies but expect the quality to be the same on Amazon.
  • Hdmi 2.1 will be a must of you want to get the best out of a PS5/X Series X. The prices of these tvs will drop next year as more and more manufacturers release newer sets with hdmi 2.1 to keep up with the folk who are buying next gen consoles. Also we have the European Championships next summer and international tournaments drive alot of new tv sales so i would expect alot of sets to come out well before the tournament.

You will need new hdmi 2.1 cables as well as current hdmi cables wont work. If you go the hdmi 2.1 route.

If your not getting a next gen console anytime soon then it doesnt matter. I want a LG OLED48CX which is currently £1500. Far too expensive for me. So now im thinking if i dont get a next gen console this autumn i will wait for next year to get a hdmi 2.1 tv.
  • also i reckon the hdmi 2.1 stuff is prob overrated for most uses, these new consoles have the grunt to be steady at 30/60 fps really so while nice to have (he says as he bought an expensive lg last year that has 2.1) i'm not actually sure it's ever really gonna get much use in this next gen. prob more relevant in PC gaming.

If you watch the previews of Xbox Series X backwards compatibility, the biggest impact is in games with unlocked frame rates (or those that let you choose that option). Where the rate can fluctuate, the HDMI 2.1 stuff should kick in and make it smoother. Time will tell if it’s worth it, but I think it’s more than just the games at 60fps.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    VRR is precisely that benefit. When we see consoles pushing it, that is when VRR will make the most sense.
  • i still think it sounds like a 'nice to have' and something we've never had before, rather than something that people should feel they have to double their budget to get.
    then again, i can't say i've ever noticed screen tearing on a console game, so i may just not appreciate these things. :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I was genuinely thinking of selling my 55” B9 for the 65 LG NANO as it’s that good.
  • i still think it sounds like a 'nice to have' and something we've never had before, rather than something that people should feel they have to double their budget to get. then again, i can't say i've ever noticed screen tearing on a console game, so i may just not appreciate these things. :)

Looking for a tv around the £500 mark and spending £700 isn't doubling the budget, and it would only really be an issue if £500 was the upper limit, not a ballpark figure. Nevertheless, I'd say all TV upgrades are nice to have, rather than essential.
  • The 55 inch LG CX is now reduced to 1399
    PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That’s a steal. For what you are getting.
  • I’ll wait for an OLED at 65 before I upgrade now I think.
  • Went for a 4K 43" LG for £450. Had good reviews regarding lag from gamers and has the all important 4 HDMI ports. Will be a decent step up from my 32" 1080p dumb Toshiba which only has 2 HDMI's and doesn't even have a USB port for *movies*

Thanks to those who helped out, will keep one eye on the HDMI 2.1 TVs for when I get a PS5 in a few years.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • b0r1s wrote:
    That’s a steal. For what you are getting.
    My house sales still not quite there. You watch it go back up by the 9th oct
    PSN - minkymu
  • First time venturing into this thread but started thinking I might suggest to the wife that with us both getting into a good position workwise before we start our savings plan in January we would treat ourselves to a new TV for christmas. 
    Quite fancy keeping the cost to below £500 as theres no way I can convince the wife to spend any more than that. Would need to produce a good 4k image, HDR and 2.1 HDMI. Other than that I'm not too sure. 

Here begins the hunt.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Smarter people may know better than I do, but I’m not aware of anything with HDMI 2.1 going that cheap yet.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Drop the 2.1 for now as a requirement. What size you looking at?
  • The TV I picked up for £699 was around the lowest I saw.

• 14:12 -

...On those games that don't quite hit 60 FPS I'm really fascinated to see how variable refresh rate pans out on Xbox Series X, something I hope to look at soon. From my personal point of view, while I can see and feel stutter when a game is running in the 50's and not at 60 FPS on a standard screen, I've got to admit that I can barely tell the difference at all on a variable refresh rate screen...

This is why VRR should be a high priority for a console display IMO.
  • First time venturing into this thread but started thinking I might suggest to the wife that with us both getting into a good position workwise before we start our savings plan in January we would treat ourselves to a new TV for christmas. 
    Quite fancy keeping the cost to below £500 as theres no way I can convince the wife to spend any more than that. Would need to produce a good 4k image, HDR and 2.1 HDMI. Other than that I'm not too sure. 

Here begins the hunt.

I am doing the exact same, was looking at the 50” Samsung TU8500, but not too sure. Mainly looking at Samsungs because that’s just what we have currently. Am looking to get one in a few weeks as the living room floor needs to come up (again) to fix pipes that have been leaking (again) so when all is done at least we have a nice new TV to play with too.

That, and my current 40” TV is about 5-6 years old, and has a big black splodge forming on the top of the screen. It’s only noticeable on certain scenes but it’s really bugging me.
  • b0r1s wrote:

Avoid that, it’s the older model. You want the product code to start 86 for the 100hz panel and HDMI 2.1. That would be £799 for the 55”.
  • Correct a mondo
    PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    My bad! Sorry figured it was the latest one. £799 for 100hz and 2.1 is a great price.
  • Thanks Boris and Syph!

Oh man now I’m confused. So I don’t want the one linked, I want one that starts with 86...?

So would that be the LG 49NANO866NA ?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!