DEMON'S SOUUULLLSSS
  • Maiden Astrea music changed! Terrible news.
  • Just watching a Barb stream and while the music was quiet it was different. Music then came back for the Penetrator fight so I don't think he is playing generic music just at boss times.
  • Just listened to an OST on Youtube. It's a revised version - and not as good.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    There's too much grunting and heavy breathing in this remaster. From would not approve.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • The devs have stated that other than giving an initial blessing, no-one from From Software had anything to do with the re-make. Make of that what you will.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • That'll explain where there are so many design clunkers left and right in all the footage i've seen. It such a weird decision to take, to be handed all the concept art for the game that's mostly known for its very unique vision and atmostpher, and to just throw it out and go "nah, we'll change how everything looks  - Asylum Demon is from Doom now. Flamelurker is a generic WoW monster, no weird glasses to tie in with Blacksmith Ed - next gen gwaffix lol!".

They already revised those two bosses after fan feedback, but loads of other stuff just seems weird. They changed the Fat Officials, now their shirts don't fit their big tummies, despite the fact they're not freshly corrupted things bursting out of too small clothes, they're Demonic Nobles! It just seems like a pointless exercise in trying to enhance a design that was already solid and consistent.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    The devs have stated that other than giving an initial blessing, no-one from From Software had anything to do with the re-make. Make of that what you will.

Oh I do, it's why I'm - mostly successfully - ignoring it. I want new From games not remolds done by other people.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Yeah, I'm not a Souls guy. The games do fascinate me, but I've never played one, because ultimately they're not my cup of tea to actually play. Anyhoo, I watched a stream of the first hour or so of the remake last night, and it to my eyes, it looked very impressive, and a lot of fun...but also I didn't really think it looked like much the source material. Just didn't look like a From game to me.
    And therein lies the rub I s'pose. Much like the SotC re-make, many will think this new version is the absolute mutts nuts, but I suspect that again like the SotC remake, there will be a hefty subset of players who grew up with, and loved the original, and for them it's just not going to be Demon's Souls.
  • Equally a lot of people won't care. My issue, as always, is how this affects the future. If this becomes the easiest way, or only way to play Demon's Souls... then it's troubling, because however good or bad this is, it isn't the original.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm glad I finished Demon's Souls various times on the ps3. I have no desire at all to play this on any next gen console. I guess if I was playing for the first time ever then I would want it to look the part and not be a half arsed remaster like Dark Souls on the ps4, but I'm happy I don't have to.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I guess you can put me in the don’t care camp. Or rather, I did play the original, but I didn’t get far and I don’t recall much of what I played, compared to say Dark Souls. I guess it just doesn’t rally hold a place in my heart like it must for some.

I personally think this looks great as a console launch game. I guess I’ll just play it as a game and see if it’s fun.
  • That's totally fine too, but I think it's worth thinking about these things. It's like the endless parade of Star Wars remasters. It's very sad that it's very difficult to get a hold of the originals, and the same is slowly happening to games.
  • I watched some of a lets play last night.
    It looks stunning but I am almost certain it will play slightly differently, not necessarily worse but Souls aficionados may find it feels odd. Could be wrong mind but there were aspects that looked like they played differently.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Completely agree, you would think the original would find it’s way onto PS Now at some point, and perhaps, eventually, it’s services like that, that will hold these old games. It’s certainly not going to be disc, except for a few who have the space and money to keep their own game collection.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm certainly interested to try it. I played a fair bit back in the day and did complete it, but a while ago now so I'm hoping for a new game and shinies but some nostalgia etc too. We'll see I guess!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I watched some of a lets play last night. It looks stunning but I am almost certain it will play slightly differently, not necessarily worse but Spuls aficionados may find it feels odd. Could be wrong mind but there were aspect that looked like they played differently.

I guess there will be QOL stuff, and the devs did say the first thing they did was get the original up and running on the PS5, so that version obviously exists somewhere, maybe it’s an Easter egg?
  • Archiving stuff is incredible important and something that games just don't really care about.
  • I thought I heard the devs mention in that DF video I posted that there was a legacy mode they were toggling between, but I don't know if it's actually part of the package or just something they had running in the studio.
  • There's a whole bunch of lighting changes you can do, from what i've read the legacy lighting just makes the game have a greener light temperature, like the original. Big shrug.
  • Ah, might just have been that they were referencing. It's a really interesting watch tho that video.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It is kinda worrying the original might be superceded by this in terms of availability. On the other hand, a PS3 will still connect to your modern TV and play the HD port of the original Shadow of the Collosus and the original Demon's Souls with them looking just as good as they ever did - it's not as bad as an original being left on PS2 where it's just like, "Argghh, how do I make this not look like crap without a CRT???"
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • The character models looks great BTW.
    There is actual kip syncing and everything, they now longer look like people in a FIFA crowd.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Streamers I've watched playing it (mainly Souls speedrunners) are chatting like its the second coming.

Looks fucking amazing imo. I never bought into the crude charm some see with the first, its always looked like absolute shit.
  • I've not had a PS since the PS1, so I missed this first time around. Can definitely see how this doesn't quite look like a 'Souls' game, but it looks incredible imo. It's quite an odd scenario for the first 'Souls' game next-gen, to be made by someone else though. Will be interesting to see what From come up with in comparison.
  • I would put good money on Elden Ring not looking as good as Demon's Souls in the technical department, but artistically it'll be much more its own thing. Bluepoint are technical artists.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I would put good money on Elden Ring not looking as good as Demon's Souls in the technical department, but artistically it'll be much more its own thing. Bluepoint are technical artists.

Presumably this has gone quiet because they're bumping it up for next-gen? There's certainly no rush now, with Demons filling the void I guess.

• Streamers have been warned they might get dmca’d if they play the music - hence the music being turned right down.

• Streamers I've watched playing it (mainly Souls speedrunners) are chatting like its the second coming. Looks fucking amazing imo. I never bought into the crude charm some see with the first, its always looked like absolute shit.

Omg DS, anti-Umbasa:

7a44341d39ffbd7e7cf8da34764eaa4f-1024x767.jpg
  • Decided to boot up the original. Liked how my initial thoughts of 'this looks crap' and 'super crap framerate' and 'my god these controls are laggy' were completely forgotten after an hour of playing :-)

Yeah, it's clunky but it's still got it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!