System Shock Redux & System Shock 3
  • The world premiere of the new System Shock trailer dropped earlier will post trailer here. We also have System Shock 3 arriving.

I dunno you wait 20 years and you get two System Shock games.

• This is an older trailer for SS3
  • That looks erm...rough. Even for a kickstarted fan-made project. I assume that elevator music is taken from the original, for tongue-in-cheek purposes?  But they would have been better off whacking some cyberpunk techno in there instead.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Aye, I watched a dev play through the stuff in the Redux trailer the other day, and I'm afraid it looked terrible.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Trailer for that 3rd one looks a lot better tho.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • You can play the Alpha demo on PC. It's ok, demanding for an UE4 game, looks ok (but nothing special), and has nice atmospheric ambient noise. The Bioshock'esque music is not in the demo. From what I've played, the first level is the same as the original - it's a remaster after all so it should be the same.

Last I heard SS3 development was on hold.
  • Whoa, I evidently forgot about all of this.  Loved SS and SS2 back at the time; is this Redux thing the result of the ill-fated Kickstarter from ages ago?  Or was that for SS3?
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    You can play the Alpha demo on PC. It's ok, demanding for an UE4 game, looks ok (but nothing special), and has nice atmospheric ambient noise. The Bioshock'esque music is not in the demo. From what I've played, the first level is the same as the original - it's a remaster after all so it should be the same.

Last I heard SS3 development was on hold.

Latest edge magazine, arrived today said its still in development and due for release at somepoint. What we will get is abit of an unknown though. Development issues, original publisher pulling out. New team finishing it off.
  • Hmm, ropey trailers both.  Not sure there's much room for something like SS3 in a post-SOMA world.  Neither of the original games were about nasty monsters, body horror and so on.  They were about the creeping dread of realising that something was very very wrong about the whole place you were in.  Same reason I found Event Horizon the movie utterly terrifying; the concept that the thing you were in, the only thing keeping you alive, was the enemy, was the thing that wanted to kill you.

System Shock's best bits were piecing together the atmosphere through written and audio logs, and hearing chat from SHODAN.  Not sure I can be bothered with fighting proto-Doom enemies.
  • Don't forget the pyshic space monkeys.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Best kind of space monkeys.
  • I loved system shock 2. Nice to read the retrospective in edge this month.
  • Scans, please! Love to read that.

(I think my local 'Smiths is still shut so I can't read it there)
  • Prey (2018) was as close to a modern system shick as we have had. I like that game alot.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Scans, please! Love to read that.

(I think my local 'Smiths is still shut so I can't read it there)

Will try to get it scanned tonight buddy if i can

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!