Longplays/playthroughs/speedrunning - games to watch
  • IGN do a nice segment on youtube where you can see developers react to speedruns. It's really interesting to a) watch games I don't know about and b) see how much game makers know about their own games or thought might be possible once speedrunners get hold of the game and basically optimise/break it :)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Yeah, they're pretty good. Watched the halo one. it was great.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Did you see that recent skip discovery on Sherbert Land MK? First ever (TT) skip found on it, 20+ years after release, impressive how things are still being found.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Did you see that recent skip discovery on Sherbert Land MK? First ever (TT) skip found on it, 20+ years after release, impressive how things are still being found.

Yea, that forrest guy is really shaking things up. We knew there was likely one there but hadn't ever really made it possible as a time save until now. It's a fucking mental set up :)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Innit, love me a really obscure skip discovery - there's one in GTA:SA or so that's mental, like 'be here at this point in this car get out do that thing at this specific point save quit load go there hope for that guy' etc :D
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Elite level Wii waggle.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • New Yoshi Valley record from Abney - https://twitter.com/abney317/status/1334712854109417473

MK - let me know if you hear of any footage of the run.
  • The skills required for this sort of thing usually boggle my mind to an extent but that Kororinpa video is ridiculous. How do you get that level of control from a Wiimote? He could probably almost nail the Bonelich bits in Zach & Wiki.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The skills required for this sort of thing usually boggle my mind to an extent but that Kororinpa video is ridiculous. How do you get that level of control from a Wiimote? He could probably almost nail the Bonelich bits in Zach & Wiki.

It is incredible. While the wiimote waggle can be wonky the use of tilt in Kororinpa is rock solid. It's a really enjoyable game.
  • Couple of bits from the last few days:

• Not a speedrun or anything, just a guy trying to learn the ropes and teach others too, and trying to discourage fire on site gameplay for a more thoughtful adventure.

I preferd watching this dude (Frankie and sada equally really) there is some excellent adventures and laughs etc.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuMTZBpxpB0cB3p3ewQT3KTdZ6szpBYSZ
  • Just want to say having watched the Mario 2 vid the other day after it popped in my feed, it's a fucking great watch. Also subscribe to summoning salt obvs. The Tier Zoo of speedrunning videos.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yeah he's great, I exhausted his content ages ago so am on a one vid every few months regime now, sucks.

The Minecraft one is interesting too (blatantly cheated I think, based on the sims). Jobst's delivery is very stilted but I guess that's just how he speaks irl.
  • Agree, on the Karl style, I don't mind it so much as usually his videos are pretty informative in the way he talks about stuff so the info going into my brain keeps me distracted haha.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • nick_md wrote:
    New Yoshi Valley record from Abney - https://twitter.com/abney317/status/1334712854109417473

MK - let me know if you hear of any footage of the run.

Sorry I missed this. You can see all new wrs here https://mkwrs.com/

You can also click just on mk64 to narrow it down if you’re not checking for a while.

Liked the Mario 2 video. Not a massive fan of the game but the video was interesting.
  • Cheers, will check that link out on my remaining two days before I rejoin the work effort.

Mario 2 is an odd one for sure but I've always been strangely intrigued by it, it's like a fever dream of a Mario game. Plus that overworld theme.
  • Anyone up on the Dream Minecraft controversy? Or just me and Stormy?
  • Nmd linked a video of it above. It seems highly likely that he modified the drop rates based on the evidence that was collected from all his runs and runs from other streamers.
  • Yeah I don't know owt other than the vid I posted, but if they ran trillions or whatever simulations and never got the same rng, then it looks suspicious af imo.
  • The point about skilled runners cheating to get a time faster, rather than get a time they can't get, strikes me as very believable.
  • Missed that, its a good summary.

Thing is, he could have done the exact same thing, then revealed what he did to make a point about the shitty drop rate. And that might have pushed people to ask questions of Mojang, and as a result see some kind of response.

I can totally understand frustration with bad RNG, but that doesn't excuse fiddling the numbers. At the end of the day he's just a dumb kid, but he really missed an opportunity to shape the game positively, and he'll always be associated with cheating.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    First time I played Mario 2 was part of the All Stars compilation in the early 90s. I really quite liked it but didn't go back to it once I beat it. But that video has me hankering to go back for a runthrough.

That SummingSalt channel is really very good. I've watched most of his stuff.
  • From Karls video Dream must have fiddled the numbers. He'll probably say he amended them off stream to see what might happen and forgot to put them back or something. 

I watch alot of Geoguessr (mainly GeoWizard) as I think it's incredible how they use their poweres of perception and knowledge. Turns out one of the top players in competition has been caught cheating too. Again, similar use of stats to catch him. 

• I enjoyed this even though it lacks the production quality of someone like SS (audio levels m8):

Maybe one @Moot_Geeza would enjoy.

Gonna jump into MKs vid this eve, love me a good speedrunning breakdown / cheating bust.
  • Missed that, its a good summary. Thing is, he could have done the exact same thing, then revealed what he did to make a point about the shitty drop rate. And that might have pushed people to ask questions of Mojang, and as a result see some kind of response. I can totally understand frustration with bad RNG, but that doesn't excuse fiddling the numbers. At the end of the day he's just a dumb kid, but he really missed an opportunity to shape the game positively, and he'll always be associated with cheating.

Is the drop rate shitty, or is it just low? It's not a gacha title with money to eek out, so if the team want rare items, so be it, right? What's the issue with the drop rate?
  • ENB is back with a nice looking and well produced walkthrough series of Demon's Souls remake. It's a nice watch but only one episode so far...

• nick_md wrote:
    Missed that, its a good summary. Thing is, he could have done the exact same thing, then revealed what he did to make a point about the shitty drop rate. And that might have pushed people to ask questions of Mojang, and as a result see some kind of response. I can totally understand frustration with bad RNG, but that doesn't excuse fiddling the numbers. At the end of the day he's just a dumb kid, but he really missed an opportunity to shape the game positively, and he'll always be associated with cheating.
    Is the drop rate shitty, or is it just low? It's not a gacha title with money to eek out, so if the team want rare items, so be it, right? What's the issue with the drop rate?

The drop rate for two items you need to get to the final area in the game is low and requires you to either kill some monsters and get them as drops, or trade with npcs to get them. 

The issue is that the guy was complaining about the RNG making doing the speed running super annoying, as it makes or breaks a run, but that's like, just the way game is dude. Speed run something else if you don't like it. Dream then miraculously gets amazing luck at a later date with drop rates for just the two items he needs to get access to the Nether andf goes on to break the world record. 

It's probably a case that he felt he deserved the WR and that the RNG was the only thing getting in the way, so in his hubris he manipulated the drop rate for the items he needed, probably to a level he thought people wouldn't notice but would make his runs more consistent. He has a huge channel that has grown quickly, and I'm sure there was also an element of chasing further growth on his channel numbers, which he also probably felt not getting the WR for Minecraft was impacting, compared to the subs and views and therefore ad revenue, additional merch sales, twitch subs, whatever that go along with that.
  • I understand everything about it, I just didn't know what Dante meant by 'shitty rng' and 'asking questions of Mojang'. The game isn't broken, that's the rng they put in. If it's frustrating for speedrunners, maybe it isn't the game for them.

Complaining about a .01% dr in a gacha title, sure. Complaining because you don't like the drop rate in a sr you're doing, woteva.
  • Ah right, soz. Yeah basically game RNG is fine, Mojang don't even need to address the drop rate for the item, because the drop rate is balanced for how the game actually plays normally, not under the extremely niche way of speedrunning it, which must be a tiny fraction of a percent of all the people who ever played Minecraft.
  • Exactly, they have nothing to answer unless there's something broken with it.

Fuck you, Dante!!!

(Jokes)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!