Longplays/playthroughs/speedrunning - games to watch
  • Roujin wrote:
    It's probably a case that he felt he deserved the WR and that the RNG was the only thing getting in the way

I bet this accounts for a lot of sr cheats at the high level. Like I said, I think Dream (and similar) cheat to get a time _quicker_ not to get a time they couldn't achieve.

• nick_md wrote:
    Missed that, its a good summary. Thing is, he could have done the exact same thing, then revealed what he did to make a point about the shitty drop rate. And that might have pushed people to ask questions of Mojang, and as a result see some kind of response. I can totally understand frustration with bad RNG, but that doesn't excuse fiddling the numbers. At the end of the day he's just a dumb kid, but he really missed an opportunity to shape the game positively, and he'll always be associated with cheating.
    Is the drop rate shitty, or is it just low? It's not a gacha title with money to eek out, so if the team want rare items, so be it, right? What's the issue with the drop rate?

It's a bit of a complicated answer. Toycat has a video on it if you want a 20 minute explanation from someone who knows way more than me.

If not, I've still got you. Basically you didn't used to have to deal with it at all, the feature of bartering was only introduced in 1.16 (or The Nether Update), which brought a hefty change to the entire Nether and introduced a ton of new features. They after introducing it, they lowered the odds quite a bit. It's by far the biggest bottleneck on a run because if you don't get the luck, it's run over there for something entirely outside your control.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Ah right, soz. Yeah basically game RNG is fine, Mojang don't even need to address the drop rate for the item, because the drop rate is balanced for how the game actually plays normally, not under the extremely niche way of speedrunning it, which must be a tiny fraction of a percent of all the people who ever played Minecraft.

Except... Very few players in Minecraft have ever actually got to The End. Something like 5%, so it's already a niche thing.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Missed that, its a good summary. Thing is, he could have done the exact same thing, then revealed what he did to make a point about the shitty drop rate. And that might have pushed people to ask questions of Mojang, and as a result see some kind of response. I can totally understand frustration with bad RNG, but that doesn't excuse fiddling the numbers. At the end of the day he's just a dumb kid, but he really missed an opportunity to shape the game positively, and he'll always be associated with cheating.
    Is the drop rate shitty, or is it just low? It's not a gacha title with money to eek out, so if the team want rare items, so be it, right? What's the issue with the drop rate?

It's a bit of a complicated answer. Toycat has a video on it if you want a 20 minute explanation from someone who knows way more than me.

If not, I've still got you. Basically you didn't used to have to deal with it at all, the feature of bartering was only introduced in 1.16 (or The Nether Update), which brought a hefty change to the entire Nether and introduced a ton of new features. They after introducing it, they lowered the odds quite a bit. It's by far the biggest bottleneck on a run because if you don't get the luck, it's run over there for something entirely outside your control.

I get it. I've watched the video. What question is Mojang meant to answer? The rng isn't broken. That's the game. Don't like it, run another game. Why is the dr shitty? Because it doesn't do what you want? Get tae.

Man on vid said, 'it's not about how good you are, it's about what luck you get'.

Boo fucking hoo. Run a different game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The repetitive grinding those top tier speedrunners have to do in any game is incredible. Looks like this guy just wasn't prepared to put the hours in and his tweak made it too obvious.

I presume an official build of the game would have a hash? If that were known then any tweaks to the code would result in a hash change - relatively easy to prove. Github hashes its repositories.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • No Davy it's Mojang's fault, they should make the game better for speedrunners.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've often wondered why some game devs don't build in a speedrun mode with tweaked settings and a real time clock.
  • It's creeping into a few games, I'm sure I've seen it here and there on indies.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I enjoyed this even though it lacks the production quality of someone like SS (audio levels m8):

Maybe one @Moot_Geeza would enjoy.

Gonna jump into MKs vid this eve, love me a good speedrunning breakdown / cheating bust.

Will have a go on that tomorrow. I'm interested in Forever for speedruns too, as unless players input seeds they'll be playing different builds. I wonder if there's a point where players become au fait with all the chunks and adapt on the fly.
  • GamesDoneQuick is currently on. Lots of videos up already for the last couple of days. 

I've watched Tazmania, Sonic 1, Dishonoured 2 so far.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Love a bit of GDQ. Brightens up a January day for me sometimes. :)

The playthroughs and the out-and-out nerd-dom on show never fails to raise a smile.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just watched a Diddy Kong Racing run. I had forgot just how great that game was/is. Great soundtrack too. The skill level at GDQ was of course astounding.  There was some clipping into out-of-bounds on some tracks and weird manipulations to warp to different worlds. I'm not a massive fan of glitched runs but it mostly consisted of just insane track navigation at high speeds so I enjoyed it.

I never completed it in the day - couldn't win the bloody 2nd Wizpig race - it was the only thing I had left to do. Was a really annoying flying race with loads of obstacles that I seemed to be magnetically attracted to.
  • Was playing the snow level music on xmas morning :)
  • davyK wrote:
    Just watched a Diddy Kong Racing run. I had forgot just how great that game was/is. Great soundtrack too. The skill level at GDQ was of course astounding.  There was some clipping into out-of-bounds on some tracks and weird manipulations to warp to different worlds. I'm not a massive fan of glitched runs but it mostly consisted of just insane track navigation at high speeds so I enjoyed it. I never completed it in the day - couldn't win the bloody 2nd Wizpig race - it was the only thing I had left to do. Was a really annoying flying race with loads of obstacles that I seemed to be magnetically attracted to.

Was it the mirror mode wizpig with the silver coins? That's what did for me, did everything else. Still hurts!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • My friend is playing through ever single SNES game to completion. His twitch is MeridianPrime. He did N64 last year. Thinks this will take him about three years. There’s plenty of content already up of his streams.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Just watched a Diddy Kong Racing run. I had forgot just how great that game was/is. Great soundtrack too. The skill level at GDQ was of course astounding.  There was some clipping into out-of-bounds on some tracks and weird manipulations to warp to different worlds. I'm not a massive fan of glitched runs but it mostly consisted of just insane track navigation at high speeds so I enjoyed it. I never completed it in the day - couldn't win the bloody 2nd Wizpig race - it was the only thing I had left to do. Was a really annoying flying race with loads of obstacles that I seemed to be magnetically attracted to.
    Was it the mirror mode wizpig with the silver coins? That's what did for me, did everything else. Still hurts!

Ah - no....I didn't unlock mirror mode - forgot about that!! That's Adventure 2 isn't it? No - I couldn't beat the 2nd Wizpig race in Adventure mode. You have the first Wizpig race in karts - win that and you unlock the last world in space. Clear that and then have a flying race with Wizpig - that was the one I couldn't win.

What a game though - stocked with content. Three vehicle types, Silver coin races and the trophy modes to clear as well. That 2nd Octopus boss race was a real stinker.
  • Yeah that second wizpig race in adventure 2 with silver coins was a killer. Great game. Had it back when I only had 4 games and couldn’t afford any others so played it to death.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I loved the game too, it's odd because I probably played MK64 more but the memory of DKR makes me smile more, loved the different vehicles, especially the plane, and the music was great.
  • mk64 wrote:
    GamesDoneQuick is currently on. Lots of videos up already for the last couple of days.  I've watched Tazmania, Sonic 1, Dishonoured 2 so far.

Link to the Sonic 1 video please.
  • Lots of sonic runs this year

Watched the Tony hawks games. So quick!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cuphead's a nice run too. I need to go back to that - on Isle 3.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I enjoyed this even though it lacks the production quality of someone like SS (audio levels m8): Maybe one @Moot_Geeza would enjoy. Gonna jump into MKs vid this eve, love me a good speedrunning breakdown / cheating bust.

Was loving this up to the use of auto jump, which is just cheating in my eyes, it's like slapping on a rapid fire unit.  And the pause glitch timesaves were right out.  Also the rng stuff makes me feel a bit ill (in this and especially Punch-Out).  Can't fathom how you could dedicate yourself to something so completely that isn't entirely down to skill/timings. 

Most importantly though, what a game.
  • Are the summoning salt vids narrated by the guy that does Digital Foundry with Ledbetter or do they just sound similar?
  • I mention this every time there's fresh Meat Boy chat, but this recent addition is huge imo:

You can speedrun the whole game (or selected chunks of it) locally in split screen, with a progress bar and a timer.  With two players of a similar skill level this would be superb.   Kinda like those simultaneous Trials Twitch vids, but a proper mode.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Are the summoning salt vids narrated by the guy that does Digital Foundry with Ledbetter or do they just sound similar?

No idea tbh but SS is legit a great channel, I'm kinda sad I've watched it all. I recommend watching all his stuff even games you wouldn't think you're interested in as it's always an entertaining vid. The Ninja Gaiden one sticks in my mind.

• mk64 wrote:
    My friend is playing through ever single SNES game to completion. His twitch is MeridianPrime. He did N64 last year. Thinks this will take him about three years. There’s plenty of content already up of his streams.

Quality.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!