Longplays/playthroughs/speedrunning - games to watch
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched a Mr. Bones playthrough. What a mindfuck that game is!!!   A Saturn exclusive.

Almost makes me want to snag a copy.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Gdq seems to be really putting out some niche games this year which is great. I’ve also seen a lot more shorter runs which is nice as I like 20-30 min games often more than I have the patience for the 3hr slogs through some Japanese RPG I’ve barely heard of.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    My friend is playing through ever single SNES game to completion. His twitch is MeridianPrime. He did N64 last year. Thinks this will take him about three years. There’s plenty of content already up of his streams.

Quality.

QFPT because I missed this and yeah, quality.

I'm also on board with ~30min runs rather than hours long.

• nick_md wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    My friend is playing through ever single SNES game to completion. His twitch is MeridianPrime. He did N64 last year. Thinks this will take him about three years. There’s plenty of content already up of his streams.
    Quality.
    QFPT because I missed this and yeah, quality. I'm also on board with ~30min runs rather than hours long.

Didn't give much back story but he is a hardcore gamer, he's played almost every game he's touched to a fairly high level so is generally very skilled. He's played most of the main games before but even i was surprised when he cruised through Ghouls n Goblins pretty much first go. So there's respect from me in watching someone pick up a game from scratch and beat it which differs from watching someone who has spent 500hrs + on a game and has honed every single element of it. Lends itself to some "do that" screaming at the screen every now and again but he's generally not stuck on anything for long.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Will check his stream history out later, I'm not in the mood for films atm so something like this is perfect. Cheers for the rec, Tom.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Is he on YT too? Just watched someone with the same name beat SNES Dr. Mario. (beat lvls 1-20 with no top outs).

Next level skills on show. Impressive.
  • That will be him. He’s comparatively best at dr Mario. He’s a beast at that game but the scene is meh so he’s not famous despite being amazing at it.

Watched some cool GDQ today. Highlight was the halo3 run. Then the time splitters2 run which has just made me realise the community is getting a bit of a revival. And then Bear Saber which is a rhythm game in Hive. It looks like DDR with hands and was pretty amazing to watch. I’ve not done any VR stuff before but this has peaked my interest.
  • Beat saber not bear saber lol
  • interesting video by jobst on the theoretical best time you could get on a minecraft speedrun
  • Saw that pop up, my evening viewing sorted tonight!
  • i've never played minecraft in my life but my daughter loves it so i like watching the videos, learning about it and then conversing with her and seeing her face when I namedrop items and stuff :D
  • Some new WR Ninja Gaiden vid up from Jobst, will be checking that out tonight.
  • It’s pretty cool
  • New shortcuts in mk64 there’s a video doing the rounds which I don’t have the link to hand for but the new Luigi raceway shortcut has changed massively. How it’s taken someone so long to get this to work I’ve no idea. He makes it look easy

https://youtu.be/MYibDiE6ygQ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Enjoyed this one .... had me going back to the All Stars version. I completed SMB3 on NES way back but never really went back to it - so I fancy just trying for a warpless 1CC now.

I prefer glitch-free runs. This uses about three in World 7. What gets me is that he is jabbering the whole way through and gets a WR.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    New shortcuts in mk64 there’s a video doing the rounds which I don’t have the link to hand for but the new Luigi raceway shortcut has changed massively. How it’s taken someone so long to get this to work I’ve no idea. He makes it look easy https://youtu.be/MYibDiE6ygQ

He does make it look easy....I suspect it isn't though - at least not for the likes of me.
  • spent the last few days watching a full playthrough of GTAIV. It was really good. I didn't complete the game (not sure why) when I had it. But yea it is such an amazing game. The sheer beauty of the open world is astounding for it's time. I'm interested to see how it compares to GTAV which i'll watch next. I think the action is a bit samey by the end (chase, shoot, repeat) but i think that's in part because the playthrough doesn't go on dates or side stuff like the strip club which you might do on a normal play through etc. Obviously a tonne of content i didn't see. But the main stories are quite good! 

• You spent over thirteen hours watching that?
  • Yea I watched about an hour and a half a day
  • Summer games done quick was/is on last week. Just watched this. Fucking hell. Never seen skills on any game more than this. 

https://youtu.be/X2ogX44s5Cs
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oh....didn't know that was on. Love a bit of GDQ.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Insane skill on show here.... This sort of thing isn't really GDQ compatible though. We really need GDB (games done brilliantly)....rhythm action and shmups are time fixed and its all about score - so they will always be a fringe thing on GDQ but maybe that's good enough?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    TheMexicanRunner doing Battletoads....including the turbo tunnel blindfolded!!!!!!!!

• Brilliant game.  Nice to see that the speedrunning community has got to grips with it.  Not for everyone but comfortably the best autorunner in existence imo.
  • Nothing can touch the original but the sequel is legit too.

@acemuzzy
  • Ah but you meant the Youtube series. Yep, watched a couple yesterday. Shovel Knight was a good one.
  • This is excellent.

Really cool to see a detailed breakdown of all the tech that went into the run

• 50% off on Switch at the mo.  I was briefly tempted but I think I'll just watch it nearly kill a few randoms instead.

• are all of these games close enough to be called/deemed clones of eachother? These games which are one screen navigate using jumps/flying tech etc?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!