A pun about Souls, or something. It's a genre, innit
  • So, 4.5 hrs into Shattered: Tales of the Forgotten King.

It's potentially sooooooooooo great. Some absolutely incredible touches, moments, ideas and general presentation. 

I think, assuming covid hasn't fucked it (small french studio, apparently), it could be a great addition. 

Clearly unfinished aspects: 

- it doesn't remember all visual settings or invert camera.
    - There's no contrast or brightness options yet (and holy shit would I turn up both if I could)
    - Audio and visual cues when you confirm something are missing/flakey.
    - interior camera is diabolical. (Only in really small rooms, and they really are few and far between, and the way it handles other areas, I think they just have it a ways down the to do list.)

Potentially the way it's meant to be problems:

- Visual cues around the 2d platform bits are flakey, there's a circle under you, but it seems to disappear all the time.
    - you can equip a light, but it kinda feels like it should just be a default, it's like a ghost in Destiny, and you'd just have it on all the time if you could.

- It's failing in how it handles keys etc, doesn't give enough info about what they're called etc. I know Souls is meant to be a little opaque, but when you found a key in that a lot of th time, it had a name that would drop a massive hint, this has left me trying 6+ doors a few times.

- combat is feeling better, but the parry animation and timing is fucking YIKES at the moment.
    - A lot of the platforming happens over flat out abysses. So insta death if you miss. The "bonfires" aren't that unfair, and you don't lose all your "souls" on those sorts of deaths, but man, some of them are quite long, and if you miss the last jump on some BS, YIKES. 

It's far less oppressive than a regular souls game, it's got a dark vibe, but it's a bit more emo than death metal.

RPG elements are much less intense than DS, I haven't been able to do any weapon upgrading yet, and there's only 4 things to upgrade with souls: health, damage/str, stamina and magic.

(Really good touch with the 2d platformy bits, especially when the fire is well placed, is you have a permanent option to return to either the main hub or last bonfire used at no cost.)

Anyhoo, it's still around the $30 mark I think, and still deep in EA, but there's a lot of meat there, and I'm gonna keep plugging away because it's got a distinct vibe.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Worked out a large section today. Defintely need regular checkpoints for the platforming are a must. Had a bit that was super annoying because of the souls styles.

Having said that, the flipside is the metriod bits and map layout is hinting at brilliance.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Heads up: Remnant: From The Ashes will be free on the Epic Game Store next week.

Cracking game! Don't miss out.
  • Wooot.
  • Lol first proper proper boss was a doddle. Not finished. Big shield Knight dude, but you can just sit on his legs and he swings over you. 

Found some literally unfinished areas too. 

Inbetween though, some brilliant stuff. 

I'll keep folks posted when next update drops.
  • Some Shattered pics from the new area, which is a lot more zelda/purdy/open...

xNo7OlS.jpg

R9yqXPr.jpg

1Dx4h8T.jpg

CNyWzHi.jpg

Hard to give sense of scale, but it's huge, and a lot of those things in the distance are actually accessible. You can drop nearly as far as you want and then jump just before floor to land safely, Destiny style. Means you can traverse some areas really freely and quickly. (Especially with the option to always return to last bonfire.)

Some bits hint at how much detail is yet to be added, but even factoring in more detail, the game runs smooth as silk on high def settings. 

(To add to the EA nature though, has to be mentioned that the sound, particularly the stuff around where footsteps/noise is coming from relative to player is currently as subtle as a sledgehammer. It's either coming from your FUCKING LEFT EAR or FUCKING RIGHT EAR. Jesus.)
  • Looks interesting.

I fancied some sword 'n' board the other day and downloaded Lords of the Fallen. Instantly felt familiar, albeit like playing in treacle. Felt quite positive about it for about 3 minutes and then it went downhill.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Some Shattered pics from the new area, which is a lot more zelda/purdy/open... xNo7OlS.jpg

Wow, not sure this area counts as EA or whatever comes before Beta. I spent a while searching through it and it's all basically linked up, and there's a few enemies, but it's quite literally half finished. 

This area is basically one of the 4 main areas, but it's massive. It's open world single game massive. The one thing I could test is how they've linked it all up, and that is very cool. In desperate need of more stuff to do and probably a horse or equiv for this area. 

Think I'll leave it for a while now. It's probably 2 major updates away from being something to actually judge. Colour me VERY interested and not unhappy I threw cash their way, regardless of final result.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    @Facewon I'm starting a fresh build on PC. Wanna coop?
  • Yes, as per message, jump in whenever. Quality all round. 

Can run it on high with uncapped fps. Nice.
  • I’m gonna give Code Vein a try this afternoon since it’s on special at JB Hi-Fi.  Internet seems to think it’s a reasonable souls game with a world class character creation suite.  Worth a try!
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Don't do it! Code Vein is shite. Trust me. No weight to the character or the combat. Very disappointing.
  • Oh no!  Really wish I'd stayed online a bit longer before going out.  Ah well.  I bought it.  Will give it a chance.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I bought it for XBone, and tried to like it, but its exactly as i described: the character has no weight, feels like moving fresh air, and the combat has no oomph or clunk or thunk! Its flimsy! 

Even if you ignored all that, the hit detection is way off. No poise. No armoured frames. Knocked out of combos left-right-and-centre.

Press attack and hope the game lets you take priority. Its awful. Sorry.
  • Only issue I have with remnant now is how it's gonna mess with my head when I switch between it and Warframe. The way it handles melee vs shooting is clever and good design choice, but man, I miss hip fire from Warframe.

Beat the first boss, which was cool. Second attempt.
  • I found it far too hard solo. Second stage just wiped the floor with me every time. I wonder if they patched it? Never went back to try online but I heard it's way easier...
  • I am playing 'The Surge 2.' It's kind of cool so far. Seems much better than the first to me.
  • Horrendous looking game that. Was fairly decent but the ugliness was too much for me to keep on.
  • Looks pretty decent to me technically. You mean like art style wise?
  • Yeah. All jagged metal and weird level design. I found it a messy looking game.
  • I only played an hour or so of surge 2. I had more time for the first, thought it looked cleaner graphically.
  • Interesting. I haven't noticed any issues yet and quite enjoying the combat including the targeting limbs you specifically wanted to break of and harvest for your own weapons. Mmm, limbs
  • Yeah, the limbs stuff was neat in both games.

Just did the church in remnant. A little weird in its pacing, but I got there. 3 attempts.

Found the sniper.

Made it to the next dungeon bit.

It's an odd game in some ways. Unlike a lot of the souls games, there appears to be no deliberate jump scares or blindside attacks. If you go slow, you will 100% not be caught out. The sound design gives clear indicators and even the guys on the roof are easy to find.

I've been methodical, and it absolutely rewards that. There's only been a couple of the special enemies that have killed me more than twice in a row so far.

Enemy design is pretty cool, but man there's limited combos of them at the moment. And the locales are very by the book.

However, the shooty stuff feels bang on, and it's very polished. (probably helps I'm coming from a bunch of EA games.)

Good stuff overall.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Stick with it. Earth is by far the most generic locale. It gets waaaay more interesting and exotic.
  • Awesome
  • Mortal Shell anyone?

Gets a really good write-up on Polygon.

"Mortal Shell becomes great by not being afraid to offer less. It’s refined and elegant in its simplicity, without sacrificing quality, mechanics, or challenge. And that makes Mortal Shell incredible."
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • heh, if it's getting good reviews I'll give it a go. I saw trailers and thought it was so pure souls I'd not bother.
  • Curtis wrote:
    I bought it for XBone, and tried to like it, but its exactly as i described: the character has no weight, feels like moving fresh air, and the combat has no oomph or clunk or thunk! Its flimsy!  Even if you ignored all that, the hit detection is way off. No poise. No armoured frames. Knocked out of combos left-right-and-centre. Press attack and hope the game lets you take priority. Its awful. Sorry.

Yeah, was hoping I'd disagree, but have pretty ordinary first impressions.  Early fights didn't do much for me.  The lengthy cutscenes seem out of place in a souls game too.

Also the character creation stuff is just okay.  You can make a good looking anime person, but there's too much hair clipping though hats and stuff like that.  Clothing options seem to be limited to how many superfluous arm belts you would like to wear.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Already purchased Mortal Shell. Doesn't unlock until 1pm BST. Looking forward to it. Quite happy to know its a short experience (15 hours max).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!