The Greatest Hit 2.0 - Songs with punctuation marks in the title
  • Not 100% sure if this counts as there is technically:
    1. a 50 second mini music skit after
    AND
    2. a SECRET BONUS TRACK (but i'm assuming we're talking tracklist closers, not secret tracks)

...so I'd argue this is the album closer to Fantasma. 

• And yes, that's the wrong cover image but it was the only decent version I could find on YouTube.
  • Honestly think it's hard to beat day in the life or purple rain BUT if they have not been said :

Hurt by nine inch nails (the downward spiral) not just a wonderful track but it really is the calm after the storm of the rest of the album.

Words, between the lines of ages by Neil Young (harvest) part of a one-two really, second last track is the awesome and delicate needle and the damage done. Words kicks in with a nice touch of bombast (for young at least). It's a trundle of a song but in the best way.

30 seconds by Theraphy? (Infernal love) as an album I think infernal love does not get the kudos it should but I love the way this fades in at speed lovely tremolo guitar gives it a real nice ethereal feel and any rock song which brings in a sax as background noise on an escalating outro works for me.

Maybe not the greatest three songs ever but they popped into my head. Also a shout out to Jay zs first song that finishes the black album. A nice fade out track with some funny lyrics
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Hurt by nine inch nails (the downward spiral) not just a wonderful track but it really is the calm after the storm of the rest of the album.

Great shout.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Put this on in the car and try not to speed.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • This probs won't light anyone's fires up but I love this band and this is one of my favourites of theirs, which closes their first album:

...the song itself starts at 1m47s, but I like the whole video.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    what an album that is.

One of the best musical snapshots of a generation ever.
  • Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks.  The National.  From one of the greatest albums of all time.

x
  • A few favourites off the top of my head.

David Bowie - Rock n Roll Suicide
    Neil Young - Words
    Talking Heads - This must be the place
    Wu Lyf - Heavy Pop
    Alkaline Trio - Crawl
    Explosions in the Sky - Your hand in mine
    Nirvana - Downer
  • A left field pick.

One of my fave movies is Shortbus and this is the song that closes off the movie and the OST (although in the OST sense it’s a double header between the movie version and an acoustic version of this song).

A sad lonely song about living with guilt and baggage and demons grows to a glorious acceptance, a song for the freaks, the fuckers and the broken. A song about accepting who you are and accepting what is coming to you - a perfect end to a movie and an OST about struggling with yourself. And a name that fits right in. In the end.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Did I say All Surface, No Feeling?

Because if not then fucking that
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Did I say All Surface, No Feeling?

Because if not then fucking that

Excellent choice, Sir.

x

• Shoot Speed Kill Light, by Primal Scream.

x
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bit obvious and perhaps hackneyed - but I still love this.

• When I was having a quick peruse, I noticed a lot of great penultimate tracks, that missed this list on a technicality - the last track often being some instrumental outro thing. A list for another time perhaps?
  • Yeah, quite a few bands like to throw in a nothing track at the end (looking at you pearl jam). Can be quite annoying. (And also quite good, depends)

Also from the Neil Young camp - Hey Hey my my on rust never sleeps. Basically a crunchy, overdriven cover of the opening accoustic track (my my Hey hey) - its lovely!

Really Joe rogan, fuck you...

SFV - reddave360
  • The LP area had proper side A finishers and side B starters, don't think you get that these days. Think it was to do with two sides, needing flipping over. Probably a thread week on that.
  • kestla wrote:
    Neil Young - Words
    Yes.

• RedDave2 wrote:
    Also from the Neil Young camp - Hey Hey my my on rust never sleeps. Basically a crunchy, overdriven cover of the opening accoustic track (my my Hey hey) - its lovely!

Really Joe rogan, fuck you...

Great shout! And yep, I have many a playlist on Spotify with Neil Young shaped holes in!
  • kestla wrote:
    When I was having a quick peruse, I noticed a lot of great penultimate tracks, that missed this list on a technicality - the last track often being some instrumental outro thing. A list for another time perhaps?

Yeah, the are a couple of albums I thought of with seemingly perfect closers followed by an extra track.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hard to see past Purple Rain to be honest.

Except for A Day in the Life at the end of Sgt. Pepper.
  • Forgot this one:

Hard to explain the impact without having what came before, but all I can say is that's how you close a fucking good album. Love how it builds.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think, after careful consideration, that my personal number one album closer was Where Did You Sleep Last Night. Not just an incredible interpretation of a song, and an absolutely great album closer, but the last track released from an incredible career (well, there was I Know You’re Right, but the 8 year gap for that song means that it felt less connected to what had come before).

That gets my vote.
  • The Boo Radleys - Wilder - YouTube

The last song from the Wake Up! album.  Written by the same person who did the amazing last track i recommended earlier:

Weaponised - YouTube

Have a listen and tell me if you can believe that.  Underrated GENIUS.

x
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I think, after careful consideration, that my personal number one album closer was Where Did You Sleep Last Night. Not just an incredible interpretation of a song, and an absolutely great album closer, but the last track released from an incredible career (well, there was I Know You’re Right, but the 8 year gap for that song means that it felt less connected to what had come before).

That gets my vote.

Very good call. Wasn't sure if live albums counted though.
    SFV - reddave360

• I know it's not a particularly good song or album, but I love it anyway. Teenage nostalgia is a powerful force.

Might be a good choice. Songs/Albums you know aren't great but love anyway / Teenage Nostalgia
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    This all shows I've never been an album person. Best of Alan for me.
  • I know "Her Majesty" ruins it, but does the entire Side 2 of Abbey Road count?

x

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!