The Greatest Hit 2.0 - Songs with punctuation marks in the title
  • Songs/albums you know aren't considered great but love anyway is a lock for a future week.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Songs/albums you know aren't considered great but love anyway is a lock for a future week.

Nominating party hard by Andrew wk
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Everything I love is great.
  • I remember Andrew WK from the curated by thread. Pretty sure Dante was responsible that time.
  • For some reason I started listening to a few of his tracks this week and it's starting to stick. It's not the best music I'll ever hear but it's hitting the spot right now.
    SFV - reddave360
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Songs/albums you know aren't considered great but love anyway is a lock for a future week.

Nominating party hard by Andrew wk

Good shout.

Others from me -

No tears left to cry - Ariana Grande
    Shimmer - Fuel
    Dakota - Stereophonics
    All Together Now - The Farm
    You Get What You Give - The New Radicals.

I debated before pressing post comment.
  • Music snobbery is tedious anyway. Davy posted Brothers in Arms on the previous page and it's a belter.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Actually that Ariana Grande song isn't shit.

Also

J Geils Band - Centrefold
    Steve Winwood - Higher Love
    Michael Bolton - Steel Bars
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I nearly nearly convinced F that Steve Winwood song was called Pie of Love.
  • Ftr I tried joining in with the "ha ha, Stereophonics" stuff the other day but I don't actually mind what I've heard of them.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Ftr I tried joining in with the "ha ha, Stereophonics" stuff the other day but I don't actually mind what I've heard of them.

I think the first album is overrated small-town shit storytelling and then the second album goes fucking hard and is better for it. but most else can disappear.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Steel Bars is the last track on Time, Love and Tenderness?

WE HAVE A NEW CHAMP
  • The last song from Luna, by The Aliens. This is a true psychedelic masterpiece:

https://youtu.be/cyO5pULQ_vg

x
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Songs/albums/artists you know aren't considered great but love anyway
  • Wonder where The Bee Gees lie here. I adore a good few of their songs, but know a lot consider them in the kitsch area.

• They blatantly ripped off riffs from Nirvana, and the lyrics are cringey as hell, but I love Freak Show by Silverchair. Think I was 14 when I first listened to it.

As for my other big guilty (not really guilty at all) pleasure, Avril Lavigne.

Track 1 of her first album, is an absolute banger that blends her country roots (can be heard in the cadence of a lot of the lines) with the pop punk style of the album.

Losing Grip

Her straight up pop era gets overlooked too, but What The Hell is a great pop song right from the opening hook.

• Also here she is doing duets of Losing Grip and Ironic with Alanis Morissette.

• I loved Silverchair too and remember being blown away by Neon Ballroom and Anthem for the year 2000 when it was released. Can't beat a bit of Freak though!

Daniel John's latest album is worth a listen btw, he's gone all rock opera and it has reviewed particularly well.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Avril is great. The new album is a bit uneven, but the song with Mark Hoppus is a Certified Banger.

• Surely Bee Gees have no place in this kind of discussion? I put them in the same level as Pop era Beatles and much of the 80s. Yes, a bit cheesy in points but so many stand up classics.

Anyway, these were the first thoughts that popped into my head:

Guilty Song - Tick Tock (Keisha) 
    Awful lyrics, pointless Puff Daddy cameo on the track, and over produced, but I fecking love this tune when it comes on. Full of bounce.

Guilty Band - Live
    Sort of a more religious and commercial version of REM with a tinge of mainstream chilli funk basslines. Music wise, nothing strong (about nickleback levels of ability) but a decent (but ego mad) singer, from Throwing Copper up to Songs from Black Mountain, I'm a huge fan even though I know they are not all that. One of the best gigs I've been to as well (Manchester University I think, many moons ago)

Guilty Album - St Anger (Metallica)
    I think even the band dont like this one? There's clear problems with the lyrcis being weak and repetitive, the songs being over long and under nourished (we all cried along with Kirk Hammett about the demise of the Guitar Solo) but it still is kinda fun as a background album. There is a rough appeal to the sound and while I'd never suggest it to someone who wanted to know what Metallica are like, I still dig its messiness. 

Fun note - it was the first album I ripped to my OG xbox so I also very much associate it with Project Gotham Racing....
    SFV - reddave360
  • I was driving to Dublin the morning that came out, so downloaded it before the journey to listen in the car. Barely even gotten on the motorway before the whole album was over. Something like 32 minutes. I loved it!

Avril's new one, not St. Anger, though I did see them on that tour. Shite album, but Frantic is a staple of their live set now.
  • If St Anger was only 32 minutes it would be so much better...
    SFV - reddave360
  • 75:04

I didn't remember it being that long. Think I've only listened the whole way through the day I bought it.

Even self indulgent bollocks Be Here Now is only 71:33.

Do love Magic Pie though, even if Noel hates it.

• Its crazy long - can you believe that One is only 5 seconds longer than St Anger? 

I also like Be Here Now. Again, not the best Oasis at all, but its OTT appeals to me.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Surely Bee Gees have no place in this kind of discussion? I put them in the same level as Pop era Beatles and much of the 80s. Yes, a bit cheesy in points but so many stand up classics.

Feel the same about artists that probably aren't considered in vogue. The Carpenters are like that too - Karen's voice was peerless and their stuff may be on the twee side but you can't kick the artistry.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Hanson. I'll keep mentioning them at every opportunity until everyone realises that they are great! ;)
    here's their latest track with a very silly video
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sounds like it belongs on the soundtrack of a low-budget, mid-80s action flick that was attempting to cash in on the popularity of Top Gun.
  • Based on my failure to convert anyone here last year, I’m going to say Bess Atwell.

x
  • Hanson. I'll keep mentioning them at every opportunity until everyone realises that they are great! ;) here's their latest track with a very silly video

Is this the MmmBop kids, with a Malcolm in the Middle video?
  • How many solos?  Why all of them, man.

Non-interactive ramrod storytelling:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!