The Greatest Hit 2.0 - Songs with punctuation marks in the title
  • No-one liked the '93 Enders theme but it banged.

• Not just an uncool band, but the least cool song from their least cool album. And yet, almost 30 years later, it’s still stuck in my head from time to time. Can’t say fairer than that.

Poison - Bastard Son of a Thousand Blues

• Geoff Love, whose TV themes records have graced every boot sale ever.  I bought a western themes vinyl by mistake once, thinking it contained original Morricone tracks rather than occasionally funky covers, but after the irritation subsided I was hooked.  I've got close to a dozen of these compilation records now, and the most I've paid was £2.  

I've got a record player at home which I don't use anywhere near as much as I claimed I would when I bought it, but when I do I tend to spread the Love.  I don't think I listen ironically now either, I just quite like it. 

Unbelievable, Geoff:

• Hanson. I'll keep mentioning them at every opportunity until everyone realises that they are great! ;) here's their latest track with a very silly video
    Is this the MmmBop kids, with a Malcolm in the Middle video?
    yup
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Geoff Love, whose TV themes records have graced every boot sale ever.  I bought a western themes vinyl by mistake once, thinking it contained original Morricone tracks rather than occasionally funky covers, but after the irritation subsided I was hooked.  I've got close to a dozen of these compilation records now, and the most I've paid was £2.   I've got a record player at home which I don't use anywhere near as much as I claimed I would when I bought it, but when I do I tend to spread the Love.  I don't think I listen ironically now either, I just quite like it.  Unbelievable, Geoff:
    Amazing!
    Here's Star Wars main theme
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I remember that Star Wars one. It must have got a lot playtime on air.

James Last was likely the pinnacle of that sort of thing.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Star Wars would've been better with Jim Kelly, it's true.

Moot_Geeza wrote:
    No-one liked the '93 Enders theme but it banged.

Christ, he'll have his '92 Neighbours on next!
  • Just Give Me One Good Reason why I shouldn't!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Reg brought it up and I'm going with it:

Layered by Bads, it's a gorgeous little melody.
  • I’ve been thinking about songs and bands recently and I figured this would be a good place to put it. I have this theory for a band to go mega they need two singles in a One-Two punch combination that takes them over the top. The first single grabs attention the second cements the legacy for years.

Some examples

Spice Girls - Wannabe —> Say You’ll be There
    Oasis (okay this is later) - wonderwall —> don’t look back in anger
    Gorillaz -Clint Eastwood (remix) —> 19-2000(remix)
    Arctic Monkeys - Dancefloor—>when the sun goes down.

In each case the next thing might be completely duff but the first two are critical.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Surely a band going mega means by definition they must have had at least two singles that have done very well?
  • Maybe mega is the wrong word here. I just mean that they can sort of trundle around forever and do not much of note but still get cultural appreciation today.

Out of my list I’d say it best applies to Arctic Monkeys. But even to an extent Oasis - once they went (champagne) supernova with don’t look back in anger it was generally down hill but they maintained a sort of interest for three or four albums more.

So even if a band has super success afterwards, my argument is, you can point to precisely a single pair of consecutive singles that got them there.

Another example was Coldplay with Yellow and Trouble.

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I've always believed this, with the proviso that the follow-up has to be stronger. Get noticed, then hammer it home. Creates the impression you might pull something out of the bag again, rather than failing to live up to your early promise.

So many one-hit wonders had one or two other decent songs, but jumped straight in with their banker instead of sitting on it. Gnarls Barkley versus Lady Gaga, say.
  • Just dance followed up with Poker face is quite the leap.

I think Telephone is my favourite song of hers and there’s some gems dotted but also a lot more nonsense too.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Maybe mega is the wrong word here. I just mean that they can sort of trundle around forever and do not much of note but still get cultural appreciation today.

The Velvet Underground says hi.

Escape wrote:
    I've always believed this, with the proviso that the follow-up has to be stronger. Get noticed, then hammer it home.

From Crayon’s list, I’d say that this wasn’t true with the Spice Girls, Wannabe is the song they’re still known for.

Not from Crayon’s list, Nirvana followed up Teen Spirit with Come as You Are, a popular track, but nowhere near as popular as SLTS.
  • Yeah, but then Lithium was the next single.

Just because I was listening to it yesterday. Bang average band, but this does have one of my favourite basslines ever. Just more teenage nostalgia.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, but then Lithium was the next single.

Great song, but not remotely as iconic as Teen Spirit.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Thinking about it, Radiohead were very much an exception to the rule too. At one point they were considered one hit wonders.

Edit: I think the one-two punch is a very common route to success, but by no means the only one.
  • Offspring and Green Day probably sold just as many t-shirts as they did records.
  • Oasis already had a number one album and single, had been through that whole "battle of the bands" thing with Blur and were already playing Arena's and had headlined Glastonbury, before Wonderwall came out.

x
  • Edit: Sorry, for the appreciation thread.
  • Outside of the fanbase high opinions of Pearl Jam are generally hard to come by. I could stick a dozen tracks in here but I won't. Had a little journey on Youtube when I was considering posting a track or two this morning though, always does the job for me.
  • Pearl Jam are fucking awesome.

Even if you don't like the music, their anti-Ticketmaster stance should get your support.
  • Yeah Pearl Jam are great, right up near the tippy top of my own list anyways
  • Not criticising the quality of some of those 90s rock bands (Pearl Jam, Nirvana) but I can't listen to any of that now.
  • monkey wrote:
    Not criticising the quality of some of those 90s rock bands (Pearl Jam, Nirvana) but I can't listen to any of that now.

You tell those big boys who stole your grunge albums to give them right back or you'll tell the teacher. Problem solved.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Escape wrote:
    I've always believed this, with the proviso that the follow-up has to be stronger. Get noticed, then hammer it home.
    From Crayon’s list, I’d say that this wasn’t true with the Spice Girls, Wannabe is the song they’re still known for.

'Kay, I'll change my tune and extend the follow-up to any single within 12 months. Probably has to be sooner than that, as a rule (2 Become 1), but can even be from a separate album with a short enough gap.

Pulp are another good argument against me (Disco 2000 not quite as big as Common People), but there's a far longer list of people who started at the top and fell much faster for it.

I suppose the follow-up doesn't have to be better, just good enough to show you might have more in you.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    What about THE Leppard?

Cobra Kai played Switch 625 recently, and I'll listen to Bringin' on the Heartbreak.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!