The Greatest Hit 2.0 - One song and why
  • I’ve always loved this, where they cover MGMT and Lady Gaga as a medley/mashup. So good they ended up putting it on the Raditude album (probably the best thing on that record by a country mile).

• Teenage Dirtbag must be in for a second place shout.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Teenage Dirtbag must be in for a second place shout.
    Oooh, kitten’s got claws.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Wait, did someone post Buddy Holly already.

Um…….

(kidding)
  • nick_md wrote:
    Teenage Dirtbag must be in for a second place shout.
    This is a good post.
  • Always liked Pork and Beans.

Also remember when internet famous was a thing that happened accidently and not a career chocie.

• Weezer are a solid [8] band.
    Always happy if they appear on a playlist but not really a band I seek out often.
  • Remember when Kerrang channel changed Hash Pipe to Half Pipe. What a time.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I’m pretty sure I loved Raditude’s opening single but I can’t remember its name. I don’t think I have ever heard an album of theirs in full so I might rectify that for the Listening Post thread.
  • I'll go album by album to spare you a huge wall.

The Blue Album

My Name is Jonas

I don't hear people talk about this song that much, but it's possibly the one that sounds the most Weezer to me.

Buddy Holly

It is good, but I think that at least half of peoples memories of this are the video, not the song.

Undone – The Sweater Song

The slow start with the rubbish talking knocks it down for me, but once it gets into it it kicks ass.

Say it Ain't So

Majestic. Heartbreaking. Emo.
  • I stand behind Dante’s picks so far. Good work. Interested to see what you make of Pinkerton.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I know all four of those Blue songs so strong start.
    poprock wrote:
    I stand behind Dante’s picks so far. Good work. Interested to see what you make of Pinkerton.

Having just listened to it in full for the first time, so would I!

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Urgh I just wrote a massive post and it was deleted
    Fuck.

Here we go again.

Weezer are a special band to me. I discovered them at age of 10 on the Windows 95 videos and I've followed them religiously since. They've had some absolute Nadirs including the White Album's stinking cover of Toto's Africa but I'll always keep an ear out for what they do.

With the exception of my first pick, I'd like to present 5 Weezer tracks that go mostly unacknowledged. These are chronological and I love them all. If I went album by album I would be finding filler.

1. Say It Ain't So

This is the encapsulation of the Blue Album, not Buddy Holly which gets to be thrown about at weddings and by lightweights. This is the song for break ups, rejection, heartache and which really lit the torch for a ton of bands to follow.

2. Simple Pages

Yes, peasant, I have skipped Pinkerton. Simple Pages is the Blue Album condensed into two and a half minutes. It's retro, it's heartfelt, it rocks.

3. Keep Fishin'

It would be easy for me to just say "hey it's the Muppets" and this be the start of Weezer's decline into memedom videos, but this song seriously fucking rules. It hits hard, has a middle 8 to be respected, and also has the Muppets. What a great song.

4. The Angel And The One

The extra track off the Red Album? Maybe the best thing Weezer have ever done. Pompous, rocking, exciting and emotional. It's well worth your time.

5.(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To

This is from 2019's Raditude, and excusing a 50 year old man singing these lyrics, hits as hard as Weezer ever have. It was around this time they teamed up with the Jackass crew and there's a real sense of finding their energy again.
  • Pinkerton
    This is probably the most divisive album. It's certainly very different from the previous one, and I don't think that there is much that stands out. The singles are probably the strongest, with I'd say El Scorcho as the pick of the bunch. I see Oli picked The Good Life from this, it was between that and You Gave Your Love to Me Softly for third place for me, but I think the other two songs are a bit above both of those so I want with those two rather than four.

El Scorcho

This is probably the track that's most 'Weezer' on here. This song accidentally referenced ECW.

Pink Triangle

Falling in love with a lesbian may as well be the story of my life, so safe to say I strongly identify with this.
  • I've rather enjoyed revisiting blue this avo. Only in Drea-he-heams gets my endorsement.

It doesn't embed oh well what to do.

Edit: Or does it?

Edit: Yes, it does. What a rollercoaster ride of emotion posting this has been.
  • My pick from the Blue Album is Say it Ain’t So.

My pick from Pinkerton is El Scorcho. Maybe Tired of Sex as a runner up.

My pick from every other album is to fuck off and play one of those instead. There’s a lot of good stuff - there really is! - but nothing to trouble a top three.
  • The Green Album
    I feel like if you played a lot of these songs on their own people would love them all, but as a run together, there is a lot of similarity. 

Photograph

A tight 2:19, comes in, does its stuff and leaves you wanting more.

Hash Pipe

It's Hash Pipe. Even monkey knows Hash Pipe

Simple Pages

Correctly identified by Reg, it is a banger.
  • Maladroit
    This is probably the strongest single album since the debut. It's a bit of a departure musically, mixing in some heavy metal. I get a Quiet Riot vibe.

American Gigalo

This is more a straight rock song, but there are elements of the sound you expect in there meaning it's not totally out there.

Dope Nose

I prefer this over the other single because of it's more crunchy sound, and I apparently prefer my Weezer as close to two minutes as possible.

Keep Fishin'

Muppets aside, this song bangs. But yes, there are Muppets.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    The video for Keep Fishin' rocks - and as reg said earlier, the song itself is actually great - though I prefer the single mix to the one on the album

I have thoughts about Weezer too, lemme go listen to a few things before I post my favourites

• I've never listened to anything beyond Make Believe (which I wasn't all that keen on). No idea if they improved, declined or stayed about the same. First two are great and I listened to them a lot as a teen, next two are fine and it was nice to have them back. After that ... dunno.
  • Can I make a suggestion for the next topic?

I'm putting together a sports montage for my local club and need an appropriate piece of music.  Should start quiet for 10-25 secs or so and then have a big drop.  Could be beats or a guitar riff, whatever you good folk think will work.  Its for a wheelchair rugby league team if that helps focus ideas.

I've got a couple of ideas and will post them if the suggestion is approved.  I've also worked out it is nearly 30 years since I did any editing.  This will be fun.
  • A tight 2:19, comes in, does its stuff and leaves you wanting more. Hash Pipe It's Hash Pipe. Even monkey knows Hash Pipe

The most MTV2 video that ever MTV2-ed.
  • 10-25 secs is quite an early drop.  Stinkfist might work.

• Disclaimer:  Things I'm looking at using, not necessarily all entirely to my personal taste.  Part of me just wants to throw some Prodigy at it.

• Can start immediately but I need a tempo change and loud/quiet elements.  Early drop allows me to move from game prep footage into the more violent and brutal shots quickly.  I've been given a 2 min limit so will likely have to fade out.
  • I was gonna say Qemists probably have something suitable. Beat me to it!

• Too moody for too long perhaps, and maybe the first kick in isn't really big enough so you'd need a bit over 2 mins really.  You could start it a few seconds late I guess. 

Is the vibe supposed to be WARZONE or good game good game?
  • The vibe?

Something like:

This sport is high energy
    look at us all smashing the living shit out of other teams
    doesn't that look like fun?
    come give it a go
  • Gotta be Creed surely?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!