The Greatest Hit 2.0 - One song and why
  • Anyone fancy picking the next topic?
  • what about something like...not quite one hit wonders, but acts that had a few hits but then disappeared from the mainstream but are still knocking out albums and songs you like. so yeah, Hanson might be that act for me, but i'm guessing others have similar acts that they still care for and follow, but eveyone else only remember them from that one song umpteen years ago?
    acts that still knock out choons even if the hits are long dried up...;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I'm up for it on the condition that you provide a concise description that I can paste into the thread title.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    One hit, many wonders?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm up for it on the condition that you provide a concise description that I can paste into the thread title.

"Wait, they're still going?"
  • what about something like...not quite one hit wonders, but acts that had a few hits but then disappeared from the mainstream but are still knocking out albums and songs you like. so yeah, Hanson might be that act for me, but i'm guessing others have similar acts that they still care for and follow, but eveyone else only remember them from that one song umpteen years ago?
    acts that still knock out choons even if the hits are long dried up...;)

Could they come under Guilty Pleasures? (By the sounds of it they're probably not guilty listening to Ram! )
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • But thinking about it that sounds too obvious not to have been done already.
  • 'guilty pleasure' implies you should be ashamed to like it, i kind of think "fuck that, i'm too old too care what others think". ;)
    Plus Hanson are too good to feel guilty about, the people who should be feeling guilty are those not listening to them! :P
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm up for it on the condition that you provide a concise description that I can paste into the thread title.

"Wait, they're still going?"

Is 2pac still releasing stuff?
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not a one hit wonder , but Elkie Brooks still has some pipes on her. She was 61 here but is still going strong.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The Go-Go’s. Amazing back in the day, still amazing now. Having broken up in ’85, their 2020 comeback single, Club Zero, easily sits in a greatest hits playlist beside their oldies. I’m impressed.

The Go-Go’s in 1981:

The Go-Go’s in 2020:

“Zero fucks given” indeed.
  • I was lucky enough to see The Zombies in 2008, which was billed as a three nights only thing.  Since then they've toured intermittently and released roughly half of their total output - album releases were 1965, 1968, 1990, 2004, 2015, 2015, with a lost LP from '68 released in 2000. 

Instead of linking a new one, here's a recent-ish version of an oldie:

After some Dinsosaur Jr. chat in here a month or so back I've been listening to their more recent stuff, including Sweep It Into Space, which was released on Friday is a contender for album of the year so far.  They do straight-ahead stuff so well and every time fuzzy a solo hits the track gains a point.  Hot take: It'd be impossible to hate this album if played at the correct volume.      

• Ok, Hanson then eh?
    They've been an active group for 29 years, and the oldest one has only just turned 40...

So here's one of my favourite tracks of theirs and is fairly new, and it's very different to mmmbop. all 3 of them take turns singing a verse, and the vocal harmonies on the chorus are awesome.

This here is the track that got me 'back' interested in Hanson...i'd forgot all about them when they dropped from the mainstream, then a few years back suddenly wondered if they were still around. This was their latest single at the time, and the album it's from (Shout it Out) I then picked up, which is a fantastic funky-pop album. There's a video for this track that is an homage to the Blues Brothers too.

in 2018 they did an album called String Theory to celebrate 25 years. It's recorded with a full orchestra, reimagines some old songs, adds in some new ones...it's a fantastic album overall. This is one of my fave tracks from that.

I won't bang on too much, but hopefully someone might find themselves pleasantly surprised by the above tracks to check out their stuff.

Bonus track
    Spoiler:

Also Moot, can't say i'd really heard of Dinsoaur Jr but enjoyed that track so will check them out!
  • I could go ham with Jimmy Eat World in here tbf..
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hanson? Brothers? That time they did a few covers?

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Goldfinger of THPS Superman fame are still going and whilst their later albums are patchy the last two have had some cracking singles on.

This video also features a swearing dog

• Listening to Tidal yesterday and up pops the new Crowded House song, it's great too!!

• nice.

Shawn Mullins, famous for 'lullaby' and 'shimmer' back in late 90s

• I could go ham with Jimmy Eat World in here tbf..

https://youtu.be/cd4nSM9gMrw

Just tonight with Burnout 3 was one of my prime PS2 moments. I would deliberately time the boost to coincide with the track.

SFV - reddave360
  • The Pogues this week.

Unless we've already done them, but I don't think we have.
  • My favourite is actually Fairytale of New York but IGNORING THAT I reckon a top three would be A Pair of Brown Eyes, Thousands Are Sailing and Sally MacLennane, with A Pair of Brown Eyes getting the final nod.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oh My God.

Enormous fanboy here.

Probably Broad Majestic Shannon but goodness me the choice.

• I mean, it’s Fairytale of New York. It has to be, however you slice the question. That song is a cultural juggernaut, crushing everything else written by the band beneath its mighty wheels.

And then you fall to The Irish Rover. Another collaboration, another recording that blew the bloody doors off and took on a life of its own – way beyond the band’s own influence. It’s an old folk standard, but the Pogues/Dubliners version is definitive – and that’s no mean achievement.

You have to get past those two behemoths before you can start thinking about the rest of The Pogues’ output.
  • Absolutely. I'd add Dirty Old Town as a 3rd place to that uberlist too.

Come with g if you want to live...
  • Fair point, yeah. I think that top three is locked in, if only for their cultural impact.

For that reason, I’m voting for Fairytale of New York. If we collectively decide that’s vetoed and we’re looking at the rest of the band’s output, then I’m skipping The Irish Rover as a cover version and settling on Dirty Old Town.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fairytale of New York suffers from over exposure with me. Of course it's a great artistic achievement (it took around 2 years to reach its final form) and the best known, the most accessible and part of the soundtrack of people's lives. It's among the very best of Shane's poetry but I'm not sure it's his best.  However I expect to be outvoted.

Dirty Old Town is a cover too. It's a Ewan McColl song about Salford. (or are you saying that's their best cover?)  

Pogues also did a great cover of McColl's The Band Played Waltzing Matilda and another called Navigator - the latter two are on Rum Sodomy and the Lash.  

They did a version of The Old Triangle. It's great but nothing matches The Dubliners' acapella version of that.

Rainy Night in Soho, Misty Morning Albert Bridge, Streams of Whiskey, Sea Shanty, Dark Streets of London haven't been mentioned. All worthy entries from MacGowan's pen though not as user friendly as Fairytale of New York. But Broad Majestic Shannon sounds like it was written 100 years ago and will feel the same 100 years from now. Just my tuppence worth.
  • It's probably already won a Christmas week, plus it's in with a shout for duets week. I'd lean towards not including it but I'll count it if it gets votes. Great song.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's probably already won a Christmas week, plus it's in with a shout for duets week. I'd lean towards not including it but I'll count it if it gets votes. Great song.

When it first came out it was kept at No.2 by the fucking Pet Shop Boys with Always on my Mind.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!