The Greatest Hit 2.0 - One song and why
  • I toyed with Gabriel but its too slow.
  • mk64 wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    I'm having this as a perfect Garage track. Sits in a nice middle ground of girl's and boy's Garage. It has soul and a smooth but boppy beat to it. Put on your oversized, shiny denim jacket, sculpt that beard line and have a little dance and a chirps.
    was on kiss garage this morning. It's banger but not sure it's the one based on your description, Body Groove or Sambucca also fits those and body groove is soo catchy.
  • Thought of two more on the way home:

• "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • What's next then?  Do most enjoy the broader focus of recent topics or would most prefer a return to the single artist thing?
  • I much prefer single artist
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I prefer the broader topics, allows more opportunity to contribute.
  • i prefer it when it's artists i've heard of that i like... ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
  • good shout
  • It's in. Don't let us down, Eric.
  • His solo stuff is good, but is it art?

Looking at the lyrics to Graceland I'm gonna say yes. Undoubtedly gets my vote, love that song.
  • Oh fuck me, yes! Thanks Gav x
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Paul Simon reminds me - we must do a "most overrated ever" thread one day.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    His solo stuff is good, but is it art? Looking at the lyrics to Graceland I'm gonna say yes. Undoubtedly gets my vote, love that song.

This video might just be

• I would never knowingly call myself a fan, but damn he’s written some tunes.

Bridge over Troubled Water
    The Sound of Silence
    Mrs Robinson
    Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard
    I am a Rock
    You Can Call me Al

I mean, that’s some greatest hits record already, just off the top of my head.

But then I remember that he wrote Hazy Shade of Winter and good grief, that’s one of my favourite songs. Obviously he didn’t perform it as well as the Bangles did, but he wrote it! What an achievement.

There’s only one choice for me though. Despite the long list of classics above, Paul Simon’s greatest song is 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover. No question, no contest, no arguments. It’s fucking incredible.

• Formulating a post for later. I'll be deep in my feelings.
  • can we just vote for the whole gracelands album? i know picking the 'most well known' and obvious choice isn't particularly cool, but this really is an album that justifies it's constant inclusion on 'best of all time' type lists. I could easily pick most of the songs off the album as a favourite depending on mood etc.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Formulating a post for later. I'll be deep in my feelings.

No need for this.

It's CALL ME AL
  • Reg knows. It's a corquer of a song. Heard it in a ravey electro club and it still killed. Heard it in a hotel band and even though it morphed into a bad 00s tune it still was ace.

https://youtu.be/KHxeM1hQOSc
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Cementing my vote for Graceland with a link to someone else singing it (RIP JTE):

The opening line is my favourite ('the Mississippi Delta is shining like a National Guitar'), but my dad is partial to the lines 'losing love is like a window in your heart/everybody sees you're blown apart'.  Bit heavy for the thread but my mum died when I was pretty young, and every now and then papa moot gets extra drunk and tells me how much he loves that line, and I always see him crack just a little as he recites it.  It's a great line from a great song.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The opening line is my favourite ('the Mississippi Delta is shining like a National Guitar'), but my dad is partial to the lines 'losing love is like a window in your heart/everybody sees you're blown apart'.  Bit heavy for the thread but my mum died when I was pretty young, and every now and then papa moot gets extra drunk and tells me how much he loves that line, and I always see him crack just a little as he recites it.  It's a great line from a great song.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck, I'm the exact same as your dad, but it's with my dad.

A few years after he passed, I started getting into buying vinyl, and when my mum noticed she gave me permission to go into the attic space and have whatever he/she had left. Among them was an almost pristine copy of the Graceland LP, and since I loved You Can Call Me Al, I papped it on.. BITB sounded so clear and warm, but when Graceland came on, I just felt this massive wave of emotion.

And those lines you mentioned, those fucking lines, well, they destroyed me. I'll also include the next one 'everybody feels the wind blow' which I interpret as kind of well, everybody's got problems, you gonna sit around and be sad forever about your dad? But also can interpret it as everyone around you is gonna be affected by your sadness, so pick it up, for them. For mum. For my brothers. Keep moving. The chugging of the general rhythm of the song, like a train, told me to keep going. Not to completely forget my dad, but also not to feel so guilty about not being sad about it any more. Sounds corny as fuck but that's my Graceland, and that's where I'm going.

God I love that song. Its definitely my pick too. When he played it when I saw him a couple years back at the Hydro (with my mum) I was a right mess.

Honorable mentions:

Listen, even when collecting a cheque for a animated film OST, he still churns out a banger. Lovely wee song, that.
  • That makes me well up a bit Moot. Always loved that lyric too. I know I'm biased but some of his lyrics are just pure poetry.

True story, I was always a bit shit at English and was always a grade C coursework sort of guy, but I had a great memory for reciting stuff so I decided to drop loads of Paul Simon lyrics into my English Language exam. The Dangling Conversation took centre stage using it to open my life as a run away along a beach...

It's a still life watercolour
    Of a now late afternoon
    As the sun shines through the curtain lace
    And shadows wash the room
    And we sit and drink our coffee
    Couched an our indifference, like shells upon the shore
    You can hear the ocean roar...

I ended up with an A and my english teacher remarked that my examiner must have been dyslexic, I told him, he was probably just a big Paul Simon fan.
  • I'm blubbing here, great choices Gav.
  • My eldest is called Sonny after The Obvious Child.

Sonny gets sunnier day by day, by day, by day...
    (except when he's being a little shit of course).
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Graceland and Sound of Silence are peak Simon. But so many good uns. Obvious Child is a cracker for the drums alone.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I find Graceland a bit annoying
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!