Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Beastie Boys/ Spike Jones - Sabotage has to be near the top of the list...

Also a nod for...

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Minus points for Alex James and Keith Allen, but aye.

+1 for the lovely girl in yellow.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Been thinking about this. Need to add more to the list right now (there's loads)

Weezer/Jonez - Buddy Holly
    Orbital / ? - The Box pt. II
    FOO Fighters / Michel Gondry - Everlong
    Bjork / Chris Cunningham - All is full of love

Honestly, there's fucking tonnes of amazing videos out there. Michel Gondry, Spike Jonez, a lot of Bjork, Radiohead, Squarepusher, Prodigy, Aphex Twin stuff is top notch... I used to watch MTV in the 90s and record the best ones on VHS.
  • My god. I might have to actually put together a top 100 channel on YouTube this weekend. I LOVE this topic.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Best Video for a Song - i.e. a Music Video that is so hand in hand with the Song it represents it actually enhances the whole package?

I feel like we've mostly ignored Dave's actual suggestion, and just gone with Music Videos Wot Are Gud.
  • Fucksake, your man Gondry is a genius:

White Stripes - Fell in love with a girl
    White Stripes - Hardest button to button
  • In the days before YouTube I bought those Directors Label DVDs, and the Gondry one was outstanding.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Best Video for a Song - i.e. a Music Video that is so hand in hand with the Song it represents it actually enhances the whole package?
      I feel like we've mostly ignored Dave's actual suggestion, and just gone with Music Videos Wot Are Gud.

Okay, back to the point - videos that enhance the song.

My pick remains Bitter Ruin - Trust, but here’s some more.

Chemical Brothers - Star Guitar
    Björk - All is Full of Love
    Apex Twin - Windowlicker
    Fatboy Slim - Praise You
    A Perfect Circle - Judith
    R.E.M. - Everybody Hurts
    DJ Shadow/Run the Jewels - Nobody Speak

Hmmm. A lot of late ’90s in that list.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have the Gondry, Jonze and Cunningham ones of those.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I have the Gondry, Jonze and Cunningham ones of those.

The classic three. I think the second batch was much less of a big thing at the time.
  • Some faves, limited myself to one per artist but some could be whole categories on their own.

Leave Me Alone- MJ
    Hurt- Johnny Cash (actual tears every time)
    I want to Break Free- Queen
    Just- Radiohead
    This is America- Childish Gambino
    Stand and Deliver- Adam Ant
    Weapon of Choice- Fatboy Slim
    Everybody Hurts- R.E.M
    California Love- Dre and 2Pac
    Beastie Boys- Make Some Noise
    Heart Shaped Box- Nirvana
    Bitter Sweet Symphony- The Verve  
    Unfinished Sympathy- Massive Attack
    Come to Daddy- Aphex Twin
    Get Your Freak On- Missy Elliot
    Gimme Some More- Busta Rhymes
    Metallica- Time to Disappear
    The Prodigy- Firestarter
    Too Funky- George Michael
    You Could Be Mine- Guns n Roses (The end bit where the Terminator identifies Axl Rose as a waste of ammo)
    Blue Monday- New Order
  • @poprock
    Yeah, same!

@Dante
    That's the way I rate the ones I've chosen. The visuals enhance the audio, help tell a story. Or maybe theres some synesthesia going on (check Rez by Underworld / Tomato).There's some songs you can't but think of the video now when you listen; I can't be the only one who shoulder shuffles like Christopher Walken when Weapon of Choice comes on!

But your point re: just a good video. There's loads I'd leave off the list even though they're very watchable (e.g Alex Gopher - The Child) because it doesn't necessarily make the music BETTER.
  • God damn some amazing choices here.

I'd go for Freedom 90 over Too Funky... for reasons...
  • Good shout by pop for Judith - directed by Fincher. Looks like the musical interlude that was cut from Seven.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    This is America - Childish Gambino

Excellent shout. That’s a real contender.
  • Aw that one is actually art. The whole thing.
  • RedDave2 wrote:

Yeah, a bit. I fell buddy Holly is the best example. It's a perfect synergy of song and video , with the added impact that the "stay tuned for more happy days" bit before the bridge feels more in place than out, to the point I miss it when listening to the album.

I guess it's tricky to explain but it's not just good videos it's videos that sync up with the music and the lyrics perfectly.
    SFV - reddave360
  • @nick
    Is that what we mean when we say "enhance"?

@reddave
    I could debate this with you but need to work. I think I know what you mean, though I'd say it's not simply a literal syncing of sound and vision, but a synergy. Reptilia by Strokes a good example of that - great photography, a masterclass of editing to music but not in the pantheon of the GREAT videos. Though it is pretty fucking good.
  • Is that what we mean when we say "enhance"?

In truth, I could have described it better and some of the calls here are great. Sabotage is one that fills a good fit and even though it wasnt written by him, the hurt Video by Johnny cash is really fitting for both artist at the latest point in their life and the overall tone of the lyrics.

It's nearly as good as the original by Leona Lewis.

SFV - reddave360
  • I've changed my mind. Reptilia IS in the pantheon.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Is that what we mean when we say "enhance"?
    In truth, I could have described it better and some of the calls here are great. Sabotage is one that fills a good fit and even though it wasnt written by him, the hurt Video by Johnny cash is really fitting for both artist at the latest point in their life and the overall tone of the lyrics. It's nearly as good as the original by Leona Lewis.
    Actual lol
  • nick_md wrote:
    Call on Me video

Since a mate made this, I have never been able to watch the original in the same way.

• I didn't realise until earlier in the year that the tune's a recreated version of a Bangalter and Falcon tune they only played in live sets. They didn't want to release it but every record company was saying 'lads release it, it's a banger'. Eventually someone got Eric Prydz to club it up a bit and release it as Call on Me.

Video, may interest. Headline's a bit OTT tho:

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    A lot of my list has now been mentioned, although despite all of the Gondry talk, for my money, we’re still missing his best:

• Radiohead’s videos during The Bends and OK Computer era, were excellent (LivDiv already mentioned Just)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Another from my list:

No Surprises is up there too.

A great Radiohead-adjacent video is this one:

Radiohead-adjacent not just for the Yorke cameo, but because the director, Jonathan Glazer, considered it to be a companion piece to his earlier Karma Police video.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Going back to this for a second:

I’m not sure there’s any actual difference. Music videos wot are gud do go hand in hand with the song and enhance the overall package, if they don’t, then they aren’t good videos.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    No Surprises is like a Davros origin story.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!