Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Topic suggestions pls

I seem to remember that there were a few before this one, but I don’t recall what they are.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'd also welcome the Smashing Pumpkins (smiling politely)
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I wouldn't know where to start but this always made me bounce around my bedroom like a lunatic when I was 14.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m probably going to be a bit boring with this one, as I think all of the obvious ones (Today; Disarm; 1979; Tonight, Tonight; Zero) are absolutely superb and are famous for good reason. If I had to pick one, it’s probably Disarm, just about.

However, have a couple of slightly less obvious tracks anyway.

I love the relentless fuzz of the guitars in this:

And this is just great:

Also, their cover of Fleetwood Mac’s Landslide doesn’t change much, but I prefer it to the original:

But ultimately, it is this:

• I genuinely thought Zwan were better.

x
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I sometimes think your ears somehow process music differently to mine.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I sometimes think your ears somehow process music differently to mine.

And how boring would the world be if everyone had the same taste? :)

x
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’m probably going to be a bit boring with this one, as I think all of the obvious ones (Today; Disarm; 1979; Tonight, Tonight; Zero) are absolutely superb and are famous for good reason.
    Yeah these are all the best ones. 1979 holds up the best. 

Others
    Soma - excellent example of the quiet to loud 90s rock trope.

Adore is a really good album but doesn't have any of the standout blistering moments of the previous two.
  • You know I've only just realised that they did a synth album in 2020.  Have it on now and it sounds quite promising!

x
  • The best thing to come out of the Smashing Pumpkins was the money that enabled Billy to buy the National Wrestling Alliance.
  • For 2 Albums, I thought Smashing Pumpkins were absolute top tier of the grunge era. Maybe not quite Nirvana or Pearl Jam but right under it. Siamise Dreams was a great sludge of an album with multi overlays of distorted guitar tracks. As Yoss said, some of the best stuff was the singles but I'll plump for Mayonnaise - find its a the best example of Corgans virtuoso assembly of dynamics and riffs.

But after that, Mellon Collie and the infinite Sadness is the best double album ever. While it does have its up and downs, no song really fills like filler or b-side material (although the b-side material was excellent as well resulting in the intriguing "Aeroplane flies high" box set) 

From it, there are loads of excellent tracks and its really hard to pick one that sums up the band. I'd probably go for Tonight, Tonight even though it isn't a typical rock track, it features awesome drumming from Chamberlin,  Corgans odd but fitting vocals and also is home to one of the finest music videos ever.)  Also shout outs to through the eyes of ruby and here is no why. 

Oddly though, while I enjoyed both Gish and Adore, I never got into the bands later stuff. It felt like the magic had gone. But for 2 albums, what a high.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I thought we already did great bands with terrible singers.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Didn't Corgan go full Icke? There's a particular interview I'm trying to remember, but he's been in the silly pond for so long it's hard to pinpoint.

An offensive view IIRC, so nothing as reasonable as lizards coming for him and Howard Stern.
  • krs wrote:
    I thought we already did great bands with terrible singers.

Blame Reg.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    To start with, the majestic Starla from the incredibly underrated Pisces Iscariot. If nothing else, it goes full on wheels-off at 5:30.

After Mellon Collie, there were only fleeting signs of their brilliance. Their 2009 comeback project, Teargarden by Kaleidyscope which was planned to be a 42-song concept album with all songs released as a free download. Like many things Corgan, it went belly-up but it did spawn some great songs, especially A Song For A Son.

I could include many other additions but before I go I’ll leave one more, again, hope becoming a false dawn, but the impressive Quasar from Oceania.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Shit, I have skin in the game here.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm gonna be a bit of a machina fucker here. That's because 2000 I turned 15 and got fully into the band. Some others below, but ranked order here. I should add I'm starting this post as I'm out for a walk so will update until I say I'm done. I've got a lot to add here...

Top for me is Stand Inside Your Love, something sitting in my personal top 5 songs of all time, and a perfect pop paean to a Love.

Behind that is This Time, also off Machina, which I love for being something of a chugging britpop song in all but name.

It's really easy to just name check Siamese Dream, and I'll probably get there, but their "last" song before the Rotten Apples break up, Untitled, also hits like an old Pumpkins song.

I can't get past Tonight Tonight next. It was my gateway drug into the band, and came off the back of Blur's Universal and Manics'A Design, and I just thought every song had a big orchestra on it

Then there's Today, one of the first songs I learned at my guitar lessons and on of my favourite music videos ever. What a riff

Going to go back to Machina again for my last track (for now) to listen to The Sacred and Profane, another end of Britpop/ turn of century jam. Love the chorus on this.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think that's me for now. But I might have more.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Face of disappointment at being left out of the Moby song.
  • I never got massively into them when I was tardily hoovering up the grunge era in 1999ish (I bought a best of and Mellon Collie iirc), but everything I've clicked on in here so far has been gold.  What a lovely noise they make!
  • Corgan released a steel guitar drenched Americana album a couple of years ago (with fiddles!), which was unexpectedly decent.  Doesn't need to be 17 tracks long though.  Veers close to earnest Live balladry at times, might be off-putting for some.  Gave it another go this morning, surely worth a listen for SP fans who may have missed it.   

Has some juke joint bangers on there too.  Honk if you country:

Or weepy geetars:

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Doesn't need to be X tracks long.

This feels like the perennial criticism of Corgan post-Siamese Dream.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Shit, I have skin in the game here.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • *runs away*
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Corgan released a steel guitar drenched Americana album a couple of years ago (with fiddles!)

Don't think I like much of the stuff krs is into.
  • Yesterday I learned something everyone already knows. Not sure how it escaped my attention all these years but it happens. Corgan was the lead guitarist?? All these years I assumed he was a tortured genius type frontman who kept things steady with a few chords, but apparently he recorded the majority of the instruments on Siamese Dream. Madness. No idea how this passed me by all these years but the mate who was schooling me on the obvious reckons he's up there with the best guitarists.
  • Yeah, he is pretty slick but Iha did play some of the leads and fills. But I think for Siamise Dreams Corgan went full on in terms of handling near everything. He did a column for Guitar World years ago and explained that he felt there was a gun to his head in terms of Dreams being the make or break for the band (and he was probably right) so he pretty much did everything outside of percussion. Some of its crazy, like Soma having 40 different guitar tracks on the recording between the main guitars, leads and fills. I dont think Mellon Collie is as Corgan heavy although if you here a particularly fast lick, it's probably Billy boy.
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!