PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Seeing as I'm not tallying up GotY stuff for a cpipe of months the we could take a mini break to list top 5 2D Metroidvania types...

In no order

Symphony of the Night
    Metroid Fusion
    Steamroller Dig 2
    Yokus Island Express
    Bloodstained
  • 1. Super Metroid
    2. Metroid Prime
    3. Metroid Zero Mission
    4. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    5. Hollow knight
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Seeing as I'm not tallying up GotY stuff for a cpipe of months the we could take a mini break to list top 5 2D Metroidvania types...

I should probably play Super Metroid before I do a full top 5 list so I can work out whether it is all that or whether many of you are simply rating it out of nostalgia.

I think my personal top 5 off the top of my head would include Ori 2 at number one, then in no particular order Hollow Knight, Shadow Complex, Monster Boy and Strider. Or maybe VVVVVV instead of Strider if that counts.

I’ll happily admit that my love of Strider is at least partially based on my nostalgia for the original game. And I should probably give Shadow Complex another run through at some point as well, I played it at release, but it would be interesting to see if it holds up.

Really should get around to trying Axiom Verge at some point too, heard good things about that.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Metroid Prime

That’s not 2D.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    top 5 2D Metroidvania types...
    hylian_elf wrote:
    2. Metroid Prime

Moron
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm not sure what my list would be. HK, Super Metroid, Ori 1 probably. Could sneak in a left field Axiom Verge or You Have To Win The Game. But I'm sure there are others in not thinking of.

Or does Guac count?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Guac definitely counts.
  • Ah, I forgot it was Moot who can't get his head round 3D.  Fine, get rid of Prime and put in Metroid Fusion at the bottom then.  Done.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s a wrong answer, but it counts.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:

In no order

Symphony of the Night
    Metroid Fusion
    Steamroller Dig 2
    Yokus Island Express
    Bloodstained

For context I could have gone Fusion or Zero Mission - both are exemplary, but I just replayed Fusion this year so.

I wanted to put Shadow Complex on there but fuck OSC so it is left off.

VVVVVV is a great shout and now I'm thinking about bumping Bloodstained for it.
  • My "no metroid or castlevania" top 5 of metroidvanias

5. Inside
    4. Shadow Complex
    3. Bloodstained
    2. Dead Cells
    1. Steamworld Dig 2
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Guac definitely counts.

A very strong number 6.
  • First you denigrate W101, now you're out here calling Dead Cells a metroidvania. Gav, your time is up. Come in.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

OSC?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I grabbed Steamworld Dig 1 and 2 in the same sale I nabbed Axiom Verge in. And I got Bloodstained through GWG a while back. I have a lot of Metroidvanias ready to go.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I should probably play Super Metroid before I do a full top 5 list so I can work out whether it is all that or whether many of you are simply rating it out of nostalgia.

Not nostalgia at all.  I replay it every now and then.  A masterclass in design.  It set the template over 26 years ago and is still The Boss.  The game that all others are measured against and fail, even subsequent Metroids.
  • Tempy wrote:
    First you denigrate W101, now you're out here calling Dead Cells a metroidvania. Gav, your time is up. Come in.

Listen

I am a simple man and I have to eat.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I have played a Metroid on the GBA (Fusion, perhaps?) but it doesn’t make the list because of the inclusion of an unwarned-of point of no return just before the final boss.
  • Tempy wrote:
    First you denigrate W101, now you're out here calling Dead Cells a metroidvania. Gav, your time is up. Come in.

Listen

I am a simple man and I have to eat.

You can't have Dead Cells and Inside, the rules state you can only have one non-metroidvania on a list of five.
  • Actually, just thinking about the various systems and mechanics, the atmosphere and settings, the bosses and pacing and difficulty, the map, everything basically (holistically?), I think my top 5 2D Metroids-and-their-like are actually thus:

1. Super Metroid (SNES)
    2. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSOne)
    3. Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA)
    4. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
    5. Hollow Knight (PC/Mac)
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Not nostalgia at all.  I replay it every now and then.  A masterclass in design.  It set the template over 26 years ago and is still The Boss.  The game that all others are measured against and fail, even subsequent Metroids.

On the flipsside, I have no nostalgia for it and I've tried to play it three times in the past seven or eight years. It was a masterclass in design, clearly way ahead of its time plus numerous other well deserved plaudits, but without the rose tints on for a modern playthrough it's a mightily impressive achievement rather than a timeless world beater. If it was released in 2020 on the EShop with no hint of Metroid in the title, the same controls/layout/signposting and for argument's sake, spruced up visuals, the Metacritic average (based on the five places that might review it) would make the fans (from our alternate universe where the SNES game still exists) weep. It lavishly paved the way but it hasn't kept up wth the best in class. Time has been far less kind to it than say, Super Mario World, but only people who aren't already in love with it can see it (imo!). It's probably the most important game in the genre and presumably was one of the very best games in the world ever at the time, but if you go in cold tomorrow (I reckon) you'll see what I mean.
  • Super Metroid and SotN, of course.

Of the newer ones:
    Vigil: The Longest Night (more RPG/Soulsy but it counts)
    Guacamelee 2 (actually quite linear, but top head-fuck platforming)
    Bloodstained (closest thing to SotN)
    Hollow Knight (crying out for better late-game fast travel options, but it's very good)
    Ori (strong all-rounder, haven't played the sequel)

That's a good variety as well. All significantly different approaches.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've still not played SotN. Can't help feeling I'd like it. Bloodstained I need to get back to...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I bounced off SotN on Xbox. Not really sure why, it just didn’t click for me.
  • I finally got round to playing it this year, really enjoyed it.
  • 1. Guac 2.
    2. Ori 2.
    3. Yoku’s Island Express.
    4. Hollow Knight.
    5. As yet undecided.

Shadow Complex was brilliant at the time but I bought the remastered version this past gen and time has not been kind.
    Moot is also correct (again!) on Metroid not being all that once you take away the nostalgia. No doubt it was important and great at the time but we’ve moved on.
  • Unc cementing his my man status.

Yoku was a laid back cracker. I didn't think it'd work but it was a lovely little genre combination.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

OSC?

Orson Scott Card.

• 1. Hollow Knight
    2. Blasphemous
    3. Ori in the Blind Forest
    4. Monster Boy in the Cursed Kingdom
    5. Ori & the Will o' the Wisps

Plus plenty of 8/10s that could make up the rest of a top 10, all of which have been mentioned over the last page or so. Jogging my memory with a couple of lists online reminded me that I've got Toki Tori 2 to play, and also that The Mummy Demastered has been remastered with a massive patch since I played it. I wanted to like that one but it had issues, which a big patch could've really sorted out. Gonna take another look at it shortly.

Obvs Blasphemous is way too high for most but crikey I loved it.
  • When you get past the early bullshit it turns into quite a good metroidlike, maybe a little too obscure with its directions at times but enjoyed discovering all the secrets.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!