A word from our sponsors...
‹ Previous123
  • Adverts. Don't you just fucking hate (and occasionally love) them?

I have two currently annoying me sufficiently to make me angry at random intervals even while not watching TV.

One is the Red Bull advert, showing several magnificent sportsmen and some Formula 1. Mostly it's fine, but then it's finished off by what sounds like a drunken idiot stealing a radio and saying the most inane thing about winning. Fuck off.

The other one is a Colgate(?) advert featuring some attractive but annoying Scottish bird pretending to be in a real video diary about using their latest toothpaste. I hate adverts that use actors pretending to be real people anyway, and this one is particularly bad.

I'm not sure if advertising agencies deliberately hire people who instinctively know how to irritate the fuck out of any rational human being, but most adverts show an alarming lack of any grasp of reality.  They must be the same people who think that calling people and playing them a prerecorded message selling their shit is a good idea.

Beyond product placement, I wonder what the future of advertising is as more and more of us use series link to watch telly when we want, fast-forwarding past this pish.
  • I found this advert for cable amusing

But mostly I try to avoid as much advertising as possible.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Adverts.  Don't you just fucking hate (and occasionally love) them?

I have two currently annoying me sufficiently to make me angry at random intervals even while not watching TV.

One is the Red Bull advert, showing several magnificent sportsmen and some Formula 1.  Mostly it's fine, but then it's finished off by what ounces like a drunken idiot stealing a radio and saying the most inane thing about winning.  Fuck off.

The other one is a Colgate(?) advert featuring some attractive but annoying Scottish bird pretending to be in a real video diary about using their latest toothpaste.  I hate adverts that use actors pretending to be real people anyway, and this one is particularly bad.

I'm not sure if advertising agencies deliberately hire people who instinctively know how to irritate the fuck out of any rational human being, but most adverts show an alarming lack of any grasp of reality.  Themutants be the same people who think that calling people and playing them a prerecorded message selling their shit is a good idea.

Beyond product placement, I wonder what the future of advertising is as more and more of us use series link to watch telly when we want, fast-forwarding past this pish.

is that the one where the bird rubs her teeth and they squeak? she's a nutter.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I work with marketing teams quite often
    From my experience they are jumped up idiot salesmen who talked their way into the job, unfortunately they sign stuff off.

They are scared of new ideas and lack the balls to sign off anything creative in case one of the lads at the golf club take the piss.

Worse than this is when they gather together into a commitee, then things turn really shit. The project changes to the point where they hit the absolute deadline and are forced into sticking with what they have.

Money is rarely an issue, though you wouldnt know it because budgets are entirely eaten up by in-decision
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I liked the car advert with the bambino in the Darth Vader suit. I'd actually stop fast forwarding through the ads to see it if it was shown during something I recorded. Then rewind it and watch it again. Interestingly, I don't even know what car they were advertising.
  • i did look up the hot bird from the secretescapes advert though. She's a bone.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • "Real" video diary ads can fuck right off. As can impromptu shopping centre interview ones.

Have a real soft spot for that McDonalds ad from a while back where it showed a Dad and his daughter at McDonalds where she started off nice and cute, became a bit of a cunt and went back to being nice as she went from 6-26. 
    Thought it was fairly sweet ad, even if it was for MaccyD.
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I liked the car advert with the bambino in the Darth Vader suit. I'd actually stop fast forwarding through the ads to see it if it was shown during something I recorded. Then rewind it and watch it again. Interestingly, I don't even know what car they were advertising.

It was a Passat, for the record.

They followed with this which is one of my favourites from recent times

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm not fond of football but I do like alot of football related adverts as it goes.

• I never actually see ads any more so this thread is quite the safari for me.
  • what annoys me about the red bull advert is that non of the sports people represent the product and i cant imagine any of them using it. At least 'redbull, it gives you wings' spoke to the kind of idiots i imagine drink the shite.
  • i like the music in that renault advert but i've not looked up the name of it yet. I also like the lloyds usb song. I think props to a company who goes and finds a reasonably catchy tune for an advert as opposed to a shit song like GO COMPAREEEE. "dont havathefish"
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Quality classic from years back.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I haven't seen a tv ad in about 5 years. I disconnected my tv antenna and never put it back. Haven't actually seen tv at all in those 5 years.
  • I like Nike's ridiculous ads from years back:

• I can never remember if it was an urban legend or actually existed but does anyone recall the Nutrogena advert circa 1995 with a genuine topless lady in the shower? Twas the talk of the playground at the time.

I liked this New Zealand drink driving ad...

• Hot damn... No wonder it was the talk of the playground.
  • That's not the one that was shown in the UK.  Our ad had one boob-shot, in the shower.  None of that beach-frolicking nonsense.  And it was for Neutrogena shower gel, not Fa.
  • I thought it was Neutrogena but thought maybe the one Dante posted was the same one by with a re-skinned product. She was definitely blonde though. I think...
  • Further Internet research says it was Neutralia.  I can only find a Spanish avert, bu it's one that would easily be shown anywhere with a new voiceover.

'Interestingly', it seems there were some legal shenanigans over those two names, including that advert being cited as part of the case, as people named the wrong product in their complaints.
  • mk64 wrote:
    adkm1979 wrote:
    The other one is a Colgate(?) advert featuring some attractive but annoying Scottish bird pretending to be in a real video diary about using their latest toothpaste.  I hate adverts that use actors pretending to be real people anyway, and this one is particularly bad.
    is that the one where the bird rubs her teeth and they squeak? she's a nutter.

They play that ad EVERY 15 MINS over the soundsystem at my gym on the companies "music channel" 
    Imagine that on a 12 hour shift.

Enough to make you want to kill
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    We used to get some light hearted stuff here in NI

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Adverts.  Don't you just fucking hate (and occasionally love) them?
    I just hate them, and try to avoid as much as possible. If I'm watching a TV channel with ads it goes straight on mute as soon as the break starts.

I'm not sure that lifestyle ads are massively effective nowadays - aren't most people a bit too hip to their game? For all the effort put in trying to be 'creative' with ads I'd assume the biggest success comes from sheer quantity. Expose people to a brand enough and it'll be subconsciously lodged until the time comes you have to choose a type of whatever product it's attached to. Or, for the biggest companies, blowing loads on 'new' advertising is just a way of saying "look, we're still a big company" - otherwise why else would we need constant reminding of Coca Cola's existence?
  • I think thats it tbh, it's not so much about selling a product as it is remianing or indeed becoming the big brand that people think of.
    I guess the aim is to end up another Hoover, Coke etc whos brand name is a shortcut for that product in general.
  • There was an advert from around 12 years ago that was played out throughout after school childrens progs. All I remember was a brick wall, may be covered in graffiti with the word "wow" popping out. It was a 5 second advert. I never knew what it was about.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • I hate adverts and mute them as soon as they come on the TV.  My girlfriend always turns the sound back on though.  I'm guessing she doesn't like my chat.  Anyway this is one I quite like.  Not sure why, but it's well made, has a cool tun and a fit lady.  So that's probably why.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    one of my favourites....used this in a presentation I once did about dodgy software integration..my wife got me a DVD of this ad which has a making of featurette - all real it seems...

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!