Time Travel
‹ Previous12
  • Inspired by a conversation on a podcast I was listening to:

What exactly constitutes time travel?

We know that Marty is time travelling in Back to the Future, but is Bill Murray time travelling in Groundhog Day? Or is that just a timeloop? What about Tom Cruise in Edge of Tomorrow? Is that a timeloop or time travel?

I think I'm on the side of time travel has to involve actually going to a different time, not repeating the same day or time frame over and over again.

What about you, forum?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Travelling in time, even multiple times in a loop, is still time travelling no?
  • I'm time travelling as we speak. A cool 1 second, per second.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Groundhog Day, Edge of Tomorrow: time loops rather than travel because they reset the subject to the same state when they restart loop, even if they’ve died.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    But it’s not is it. As the subject of the loop remembers all loops. Hence time travel in a fixed loop by the subject.
  • But they can also break out of them.

I think if one were to go back to the past and just do “one loop” that would count.

Of course we are all travelling through time right now.
  • Gman smokes so he is travelling at 2 seconds per second.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    But it’s not is it. As the subject of the loop remembers all loops. Hence time travel in a fixed loop by the subject.

But only the memory is retained, everything else is reset, which means that there is some force acting upon the subject which isn’t present in your standard time travel scenario.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:

But only the memory is retained, everything else is reset, which means that there is some force acting upon the subject which isn’t present in your standard time travel scenario.

Groundhog Day is tricky. But we know Edge of Tomorrow he gets infected by alien blood. So there is certainly a chemical reaction going on that maybe sends the electrons from his brain back to his previous body overwriting his previous consciousness. So probably bio-electrical.
  • Yeah, I'm going with they're all time travel.

My initial reaction was that loops are different because you're not physically changing - Bill Murray's stuck in there for literally hundreds of years in Groundhog Day - and I'd argue for it to be Time Travel you have to still be moving forward in time in the usual way, but have translocated to a different place in time.  (So a Time Traveller who travels to one day ago shouldn't get younger, and a traveler moving to a hundred years in the future shouldn't get older.)  So time loops can't be time travel because the "traveller" doesn't age within the loop.

Except, they do.  In Groundhog Day, Murray's character retains memories, he changes as a person, and indeed develops muscle memory and skills that he didn't have before. Same in Edge of Tomorrow. So whilst his body somehow escapes ageing, he definitely becomes older and wiser, and develops physical skills he didn't have before too.  So time does have an effect on him.  Protagonists in a time loop are just repeatedly travelling back to the same point in time and somehow not physically ageing. (Except in subtle beneficial ways.)

They are at the very least cognitive time travellers if not physical ones. Or something.

All of which makes me realise two things:

1)  It's probably best not to think abut these things too hard and...

2)  If any of you fancy making a movie I'd love to write one about a guy in a time loop where they do get physically older.
  • I think bill Murray is arguably one day older at the end of each loop.
    But also, if you want time travel what is it about? Changing something that is a unchangable because it’s in the past.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    There are several ongoing arguments over how many dimensions there might be in multidimensional spacetime, but I think they all agree on these dimensions defining the state of everything, including gravity and whatnot. Gravitational lensing's an interesting thing to read about.* But of course our perception of time's linear, so Murray wormholing does raise the question of whether he's a day older on each run, because it's easier to imagine if he is.

Everything else gets into philosophy; i.e. if he's receiving an instalment of futuresight every day, it means he has no free will. Or if only his consciousness loops with his body never ageing, that's also a separation of matter that I don't have the science brains for. Or maybe that's it — that his brain particles are wormholing as firmware updates? If only Dr Kawashima had been stuck with him.

*Webb's about 5 years overdue but should be fascinating — https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/webb/about/index.html
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Maybe there's even spacetime where Matty put this in off-topic.
  • I saw this hypothesis of Back to the Future which was something like for the film to work there needs to be a parallel Marty McFly and what happens is the shit life Marty mcfly goes into the good life Marty McFlys life. Essentially we miss the film where successful dad Marty mcfly ends up in shit life Marty mcfly.
  • I think bill Murray is arguably one day older at the end of each loop. But also, if you want time travel what is it about? Changing something that is a unchangable because it’s in the past.

He isn't because he's in there for at a minimum decades.

It was written that he spent more than a lifetime in it, but the studio didn't like it being a long time. As a result Raimis removed anything that marks the passage of time, but in interviews he's pointed to how long it would take to learn the things Murray does.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Bill Murray's stuck in there for literally hundreds of years in Groundhog Day
    Citation needed.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I heard this too from the director in an interview. Think it may have been even more. I’m going hunting as I definitely read this.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So...

“ The time loop experienced by Bill Murray’s character in the classic film Groundhog Day lasted for 10 years, its filmmakers claimed.

While Danny Rubin’s original script for the film indicated that Murray’s character was forced to live the same day for 10,000 years, the film’s director Harold Ramis reportedly said otherwise.”
  • He goes from noob to pro pianist, which is the biggest development I think. 
    So applying the 10,000 hour thing and saying his lessons are an hour a day that’s 27 years. And a lot of time had passed before he started learning iirc.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    He sure wouldn't be going to work any more.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    So... “ The time loop experienced by Bill Murray’s character in the classic film Groundhog Day lasted for 10 years, its filmmakers claimed. While Danny Rubin’s original script for the film indicated that Murray’s character was forced to live the same day for 10,000 years, the film’s director Harold Ramis reportedly said otherwise.”

Fair enough.  I think the last thing I'd read about it was, weirdly, a piece Rubin had written for the program for the musical, which I guess referenced back to his original intentions. 

Personally, I don't reckon you get to reach the status of an all knowing Punxsutawney God in a mere ten years.  (Yes, there's learning all the skills, but there's also knowing what's going to happen to each and every one of the people who live there, to make sure you don't miss out on a life that could be saved, or an opportunity to make someone happy.)

Still, however you cut it, he was in there long enough to have noticeably aged...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I travel through time. At a rate of 1.

Also, groundhog day is my birthday. So I doubly win.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    My birthday is the day before Groundhog Day. I dodged a bullet.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    That's The Matrix.

Or for those with taste, Remo Williams.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    I mean, if it was 10,000 years, he would have gone insane LONG before what eventually happens
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    That's why he's still a weatherman chasing MacDowell.
  • Questor wrote:
    I mean, if it was 10,000 years, he would have gone insane LONG before what eventually happens

He does rob banks... If I remember rightly didn't the director or someone say he definitely would've gone on a murder spree?
  • Is everyone else in Groundhog Day time travelling back to the start of the day? They don't remember it.
  • Bill Murray is the only one travelling in time. Even if it's just his consciousness that's doing it.

Time loop is just a style of time travel so long as there is some element of progression. That might be a character, a physical object... whatever. Something is retaining after the loop which tells us it - or an element of it - is travelling back through time.
  • His consciousness is travelling back at the end of the day. It's a sub-category of the time travel genre. I don't know what happens to everyone else and Murray's physical body. Destroyed presumably. Or they branch off into parallel timelines where all those things happened. But in that case who's in Bill Murray's head in the alternate timelines, since his consciousness has gone back in time. Maybe a new Bill Murray is created at 6am every day, out of all the old ones, with all his memories still in tact. Did he ever try and stay up to see what happens if he's awake already at 6am? Possibly his brain is somewhere else and Punxsutawney is an illusion. Like the Matrix but run by a benevolent entity.

#DefinitelyNotOverthinkingGroundhogDay
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!