Movie Record 2021 Edition
  • 5. Fear
    Marky Mark sulks, smoulders and seduces his way into Reese Witherspoon's affections, but dad William Peterson doesn't fall for his good vibrations in this steamy 90s thriller. 6.5

6. Fifty Dead Men Walking
    Taut and tense thriller telling the dramatised true story of Martin McGartland, an Irish hustler who rose up the ranks of the IRA whilst also informing for British Intelligence. 8
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I watched 50 Dead Men a few weeks back and enjoyed it too, well worth a watch.
  • Aye seen it a couple of times now, good film.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Some classic gb horror thrillers:

Dead mans shoes
    Kill list
    Sightseers
    The decent

I might see of the mrs can sit through kill list. I doubt it.
    PSN - minkymu
  • The Decent - a bunch of thoroughly likeable cannibal cave dwellers make afternoon tea for some lost spelunkers.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • 4. Memories of Murder (Salinui chueok). Beautifully shot and carefully constructed serial killer thriller.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hell yeah
  • The Daddy wrote:
    4. Memories of Murder (Salinui chueok). Beautifully shot and carefully constructed serial killer thriller.

The greatest film ever made
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It was alright.
  • Tempy wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:
    4. Memories of Murder (Salinui chueok). Beautifully shot and carefully constructed serial killer thriller.
    The greatest film ever made

Thanks for retweeting a tweet by KoreanScreen. I’ve followed them now. Lots of Korean cinema for me to catch up on!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 3. Destroy All Monsters - 13 Jan
    You can see the extra budget thrown at this and the additional production values that bought. But it still ended up being a simple alien invasion monster movie aso hear the additional themes Honda wanted to explore had to be cut due to budget reasons. But it was an enjoyable romp with a great all out battle at the end with Godzilla & Co. vs. Ghidora.
    [6]
  • Honda theme is one of the best ones, up there with Balrog.
  • 2. Monster Hunter
    If only Paul WS Anderson was good at making movies because the Monster Hunter stuff that was in this was very well realised and matched the games but it was wrapped in a very poorly put together package. It really didn't need the real world element and should have just gone full MoHan.
    [2]

3. Wolf Walkers
    Very pretty Irish animation that maybe leans a little too much into the melodrama at times but the high points are very high.
    [8]
  • Wolf walkers is on my list to watch.
  • Cliffhanger

One of the very few Stallone films I haven't seen before.
    Loved it. So much fun.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Do you ever get to find out what happens in the end?
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Spoiler:
  • Cliffhanger

One of the very few Stallone films I haven't seen before.
    Loved it. So much fun.

My man.

hylian_elf wrote:
    Do you ever get to find out what happens in the end?

Heh :)

• 4. Outside the Wire
    One of the Netflix films that's competently made but just feels sort of like a mush of things you're supposed to like. Bit of action, sci-fi, some themes to chew over. Then it ends and on you go. Story by Yescombe, pedalling the same old Hazy ideas.**
  • 4. All Monsters Attack - 16 Jan
    A different kind of Godzilla film and mostly light-hearted. Little boy being bullied uses dreams of monsters to spur himself and grow in confidence etc. Misses the mark though.
    [4]
  • 7. The Night Eats The World
    Dude falls asleep at a party in Paris, wakes up in the zombie apocalypse. Interesting French zombie film dealing with themes of isolation, loneliness and social distancing. 7.5
  • Dick Johnson is Dead - A documentary about the film-maker's father, who has dementia.  In anticipation of his imminent demise, they stage a series of different ways in which he could ultimately die.  It's a film which plays wonderfully with the inherent conceits of the documentary format, producing a touching love letter to a father, a thoughtful portrayal of dementia (Dick is neither romanticised nor a victim) and a brave attempt to subvert death itself.   (9)

The 40 Year Old Version  
    Writer-director Radha Blank plays, well, a version of Radha Blank.  In the film she's playwright whose career has stalled, torn between teaching students, and massively selling out to make plays about the black experience for white people.  Trying to make sense of it all, she experiments with reinventing herself as a rapper.  The film's funny, knowing, and Radha's good company.  Though the sheer horror of realising that the awful play within a play designed for smug white people is absolutely the sort of thing I would watch, cannot be exaggerated.   (8 )

Coriolanus

Ralph Fiennes' attempt to update one of Shakespeare's less loved plays to modern times.  I'm one of the few that already quite likes Coriolanus - the lead character's refusal to indulge in long monologues about his feelings may put him at odds with most of Shakey's tragic heroes, but it fits perfectly with his character.  The update kind of works - Rome becomes a modern day warzone - with much of the text excised and replaced with action scenes, or news footage.  (John Snow popping up was a weird moment).  However the middle section simply doesn't work in a modern setting, which rather screws it up.  Still Fiennes is obviously excellent, and even Gerard Butler manages to not be shit.  (7)
  • Snowpiercer

Class warfare on a train hurtling through a future frozen earth. Captain America tries to start a revolution and it's all rather brilliant.

Loved it
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    Understated, melancholy drama that’s also funny as hell. Manages to make a lack of resolution entirely satisfying.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    5. Blade - great Marvel action with limited and generally considered use of CGI. This is still a great movie and the second DVD I bought. Just don’t bother with the sequels.

6. The Equalizer - Denzel on top action man form. That first fight scene in the restaurant is great stuff and yes it’s your typical action plot.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    Understated, melancholy drama that’s also funny as hell. Manages to make a lack of resolution entirely satisfying.

Amazing film with top use of the cunt word. Brilliant performances all around. Like literally every single actor knocks it out the park, even the most minor part.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Blade 2 is a belter
  • I was expecting to absolutely love that but settled for quite liking it in the end. Should rewatch really. Along wth Another Year, which is only connected for me because it's another film I was convinced I'd adore that fell short by a smidge which was enough to annoy me.

So much for me joining in with the lists this year, all I have to offer is proof I've been drinking too much.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!