Movie Record 2021 Edition
  • poprock wrote:
    Bad Boys For Life 
    Absolute garbage from start to finish.
    That's a poster quote if ever I saw one :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Never understood the love for the franchise or Martin Lawrence.

Lawrence has possibly the most terrible IMDB of well known actors.
    3 of those shit Bad Boys films (and they are his best work).
    3 Big Mommas House movies.
    2 Wild Hogs movies.
    A bunch of other crap where walks around shouting "shit" and "my ass".

Fuck me.
  • Stowaway
    A nice bit of smart, calm, quiet sci-fi. Simple, focussed and surprisingly tense.
  • 129. Don't Look Up
    Pretty well put together satire that doesn't really need to stretch itself far from the real world. 40 mins too long though. Seriously.
    [6]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 48. The Power of the Dog - 31 Dec
    Really enjoyed this. Beautifully shot and some great performances, specially by Cumberbatch. The subtext running through the film is nicely told.
    [8]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Falling for Figaro
    Netflix rom-com about a girl who wants to be an opera singer. A lot better than that ‘Castle for Christmas’ shite, but still pretty bad.
  • Good work everyone. I don't add much but always check new posts in here. Quality thread.
  • It is indeed. I always enjoy reading the posts in here.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    102. Don’t Look Up
    It’s a bit of a slog somewhere in the middle but otherwise was really strong. Great performances all round, Cate Blanchett and Mark Rylance were particularly excellent. Badly in need of a better edit though. [7]

103. Breakfast at Tiffany’s
    First time watching this and yeah, it’s fine. Good even but one of those I don’t get why it’s held up as a classic. Perhaps it was more groundbreaking than I realise but otherwise funny and charming, with a splash of outdated attitudes. [6]

104. Red Notice
    There are a few good laughs but in every other respect this is a fucking awful film. It doesn’t make the slightest bit of sense, rips off other much better films (almost stealing entire sequences at the end) and frankly everyone involved should be embarrassed. I could rant for days but it doesn’t deserve it. [2]

And that’s it for 2021. Bit of a dampener to finish on but whatever kicks off 2022 will look brilliant in comparison!
  • 48 films for me this year. 27 of them new releases. And not a lot of them high quality. Hard to pick a best for the year when nothing has really grabbed me all that much. Dune was suitably epic, but far from being an all-timer. Don’t Look Up was great fun, but not something I’d watch again. Ditto for We Care a Lot. I think maybe The Trial of the Chicago Seven was objectively the best film of 2021 for me, but that’s kind of damning it with faint praise.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I caught a a lot films that I missed such as Ronin and Heat. Has been a great year for me film-wise.
  • I’ve rewatched (or seen for the first time) a lot of great movies during 2021. But no new films really stood out.
  • 89. Spider-Man: No Way Home
    Loved it. Spectacular action in not only the best live action Spidey film but one of the best MCU films so far. It's the closest they've made it to what my 12yo comic reading self wanted from a film. Joyous stuff. 10
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Gremill wrote:
    89. Spider-Man: No Way Home Loved it. Spectacular action in not only the best live action Spidey film but one of the best MCU films so far. It's the closest they've made it to what my 12yo comic reading self wanted from a film. Joyous stuff. 10

YES
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Another Round was my favourite of the year. Moneyball and Nomadland shortlisted.

Godzilla v Kong wins the big daft category.

Dark Waters for documentary.
  • Tidy up and recap of last year's viewing.

122. Home Alone
    Neglected, serial killer pending youngster targets two hapless burglars with which to unleash his repressed sadistic apeshit angst upon in this sick, ultraviolent festive tale. 8

123. Die Hard
    Individual performances, set-pieces, script, location, all perfectly assembled to make the complete action film and the best Christmas film. 9

124. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
    Neglected, serial killer pending youngster continues his reign of repressed sadistic apeshit ultraviolence against the same two hapless burglars... except this time in New York. 8

125. Die Hard 2: Die Harder
    Chaotic sequel is not as taut an experience and with an occasionally scatty plot but still manages to feature some stand out sequences. 7.5

126. Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker
    Orphaned teen Billy finds keeping it in the family is a pain as his incestuous protective nutjob aunt causes bother in this fairly decent 1981 slasher. 7

Ended the year with 126 films, pretty decent going, roughly two and a half a week is pretty sustainable going into '22.

21's Top Titles

• Short Term 12
    • Calm With Horses
    • The Wailing
    • The VVitch: A New England Folktale
    • Possessor
    • Saint Maud

21's Turkeys

• Deceived
    • Jagged Edge
    • Mamma Mia
    • The Tag-Along
    • Slashlorette Party
    • Edge of the Axe
    • Body Count (Camping del Terrore)

Honourable mentions to My Bloody Valentine, The Final Girls, The Vanished, Dead & Buried, Bloody Birthday, Basket Case, Frankenhooker, Brain Damage, Palm Springs, Class of 1984 and Silent Night, Deadly Night as new viewings that I expected less of going into but was well rewarded with watching.

We'll see if I watch anything as good as Possessor, The VVitch or Saint Maud this year, outstanding pieces of work... probably best off just watching those again lol
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Also forgot to mention Death of Stalin which was superb - up there with Another Round
  • I'll give Possessor a go I think, I liked or loved every other film on Webbins' good list.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Pile of shite of the year in my list : Hollow Man. What a load of old bollocks that was. Didn't last 20mins.
  • I saw that through... was not great. Very much a film of its time.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • davyK wrote:
    Pile of shite of the year in my list : Hollow Man. What a load of old bollocks that was. Didn't last 20mins.

You seen the new Invisible Man? It's really good.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • @webbins well Eggers has his new film out this year so hopefully it's as good as his others!
  • @webbins well Eggers has his new film out this year so hopefully it's as good as his others!

Ah of course, The Northman, I read about that after I watched The VVitch. Thought it was biographical film about me going by the title. Will look out for it cheers.
  • It's just a movie about a man watching a lot of movies.

I'm assuming you watched The Lighthouse already right?
  • Oh aye, I be lyking The Lighthouse, thrice aye.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!