#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon.  Another big door stopper of a book, another post apocalypse, another young saviour girl.  Sounds a bit like The Passage.  But where that book all too quickly plunged to latter season The Walking Dead levels of storytelling, Swan Song does not.  In fact it’s there that the similarities end; this tale has more in common with King’s The Stand, where a battle between good and evil plays out in the wake of a global catastrophe.  I really enjoyed this.  If I had to pick one criticism it’s that Swan, our saviour character, is so good and therefore so entirely dull.  The same goes for her opposite.  Other than that, great stuff.  Will definitely be reading more from McCammon.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow.  When I first started reading this I was already warming up my superlatives.  It has such a strong, plucky, characterful start.  Then it all goes suddenly wrong, and it never recovers.  Pacing is a massive issue, with great big chunks of flashback, told in third person, that are thoroughly uninteresting and cripple momentum of the story.  Not that it really matters after a while, as the main story fizzles away after a firecracker start.  Prose swings wildly from brilliant to cringing, with dialogue being particularly weak, which is perhaps why Harrow doesn’t use it so much.  It’s a shame, really, as in those first few pages I was thinking this might be an early contender for favourite new read of the year.
    Get schwifty.
  • I hate your opinions on books.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Okay then.
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This new Beowulf translation that Flora bought is amazing.

DF5aCGf.jpg

K7RphfX.jpg
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Okay then.
    /winkysmile
  • regmcfly wrote:
    This new Beowulf translation that Flora bought is amazing.

DF5aCGf.jpg

K7RphfX.jpg

Modern vernacular?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Read a review of that in last weekend's Observer. It looks interesting.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    20.  Finished Blake Crouch’s sci-fi novella Summer Frost.  It’s a little bit Black Mirror, a little bit Star Trek.  It’s about a bit part npc in an open world videogame whose role is to get murdered in the game’s prologue.  After being murdered a couple of thousand times during the testing phase of the game the npc goes off script and tries to escape the game world.  I’m not really spoiling anything there as that’s just the setup for what is essentially a story about AI and the potential pitfalls.  It’s a little cheesy here and there, but also a bit of a page-turner.  I enjoyed it.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I read too slowly (I.e. fall asleep) to read much so I won’t be getting beyond one or two books this year, unless I go on holiday.

I’ve picked up Foundation in anticipation of the TV show hitting Apple TV later this year and it’s a bit weird. It feels familiar, but the dated elements (physical tickets for example) feel out of place. I’m reading it more to understand what the differences will be.

It also seems like @Raiziel has similar reading taste to me. I too enjoyed Dark Matter and also a Clive Barker fan (as a younger man I found they expanded my horizons of imagination; Weaveworld, Imajica and Galilee being standouts) And also love Tolkien, but not much other fantasy (my exceptions being The Thomas Covenant books by Stephen Donaldson and The Demon Cycle books by Peter V Brett).

I’ve attempted The Silmarillion a couple times now, but felt I was reading something like the bible and found it quite difficult to carry on.
  • I agree with Raz on the door book.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    I agree with Raz on the door book.

Hurray!

@b0r1s I read the first Foundation book a year or two ago and hated it. While the scope is massive, all it really amounts to as far as the narrative is concerned is a bunch of important men in rooms making important decisions. I imagine The show runners of the Apple series have had to get really creative to make it something worth watching. I’ll definitely watch the show, but I certainly won’t be reading any more Foundation novels.

High five for liking Barker! I consider his three best to be Weaveworld, The Great and Secret Show, and Imajica. I picked up the hardback of Galilee when it first came out, but drifted away from it after a hundred pages or so. Went back to it about two years ago and finished it this time around. It pains me to say it but I didn’t like it at all. It was all just so...dull. Barker has created such vibrant, evocative worlds in the past, and there was barely any of that wild creativity on display in Galilee. I read Coldheart Canyon after that and that was even worse. So I think Barker burned twice as bright but only for half as long. He’s been gravely I’ll over the last few years, so his output has reflected that, but he’s got a new book on the way called Deep Hill. Will deffo keep an on reviews for that one, but won’t be pouncing on the hardback right away like the old days.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s a been a long time since reading Barker, I’d have been in my 20’s, and I’m sure I’ve read The Great and Secret Show but for the life of me I can’t recall a thing. May be time for a re-read.

If you like dark sci-fi I’d suggest checking out The Gap Series, also by Donaldson. Definitely my favourite sci-fi of all time. I don’t think they could film it as some of the scenes are incredibly uncomfortable but as a character piece it develops so well over the space of five books. His ability to weave multiple character story arcs that he comfortably switches between just works for me and keeps me reading.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m really wary of Donaldson now. I read the first six Covenant books back in the early nineties. Loved them with a passion at the time. Went back for a reread a few years ago and really didn’t think they held up. Damn shame, really, as it ruined some fond memories.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’d say give the first two gap books a go. The first one is basically a novella written from the POV of an overheard story. Then book two gets into the truth of it.

I think they are better than the TC books personally.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Will add them to the long list.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    21.  Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock.  This one’s a reread.  I first read it when I was in my teens.  There are three authors who had a massive impact on me when I was young.  I’ve already banged on about Tolkien and Barker quite enough; Holdstock is the third.  There is just something about his Mythago books that captivated my imagination at the time, and still do to this day it turns out.  Mythago Wood is about a small stretch of ancient English woodland that is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside, and within it, generated by the proximity of human minds, are characters, tribes, and even buildings from our most ancient myths.  I love this book, but the real deal, Holdstock’s masterpiece, is the second book in the series, Lavondyss, and that’s where I’m going next.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Finished Vol.1 of Runciman's History of the Crusades

What a chaotic time to have lived with the Pope and the Byzantine emperor over the Western and Eastern Christians (also split along Greek and Latin lines), and the Europeans - goaded by Pope Urban II - rampaging into the Holy Land to retake Antioch and Jerusalem from the Turks.

The book ends in 1099 with Palestine (Jerusalem being the jewel) under the control of European Knights -  with Baldwin crowned king but looking to strengthen their position by getting proper defences and trade in place. The Moslem factions had the land carved up between them but hated each other as much as the Christians - and the Egyptians and Turks were looking to stake their claim too.

Cities scoured, populations slaughtered, walls attacked by the use of gigantic siege towers built on-site, holy patriarchs put in cages and thrown over the wall to hang there occasionally, disease and starvation rampant.....

Not a time to be a commoner. And we think we have it bad with covid-19.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    22. The Children of Hurin by J. R. R. Tolkien. This is one of Tolkien’s three Great Tales, the others being Beren and Luthien and The Fall of Gondolin. They are each given a not inconsiderable chapter in The Silmarillion, but tragically only The Children of Hurin was completed in detail. I did this one on audiobook because it’s narrated by the late, great Christopher Lee. And what a fabulous job he does if it too. It’s an absolute treat to listen to him bringing Tolkien’s beautiful prose to life. The tale itself is an absolute banger. Dragons, enormous battles, doomed friendships, incest... Yep. The tragedy of the tale is positively Shakespearean. I loved it.

I also polished off The Lord of the Rings appendices. A lot of it is very dry, so only really recommended for super fans. But there were some parts that gave me chills as we discover the ultimate fates of some of the characters from the fellowship. Jackson drew in part from here to show Aragorn and Arwen’s fate in the films, but it’s also nice to find out what happened to Sam, Legolas and Gimli. Worth reading just for those little moments.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka.

I'm sure there are a pile of analyses for this novella. Readable in one sitting. It's one of those famous stories I never read but while I'm between historic tomes I thought I'd pick this one off. It's very readable while being very odd. It's also very sad. One to get the old grey matter musing though. Glad I read this and I suspect would reward repeat reading.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I like odd.  It’s already on my TBR list.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    23.  Lavondyss by Robert Holdstock.  Another reread.  It’s been thirty years since I first read this, and it left an indelible mark on my imagination at the time.  Reading it now it’s easy to see why; I’ve really not read anything quite like it since.  It’s like a pagan mythic fever dream, and Holdstock is pretty uncompromising when it comes to telling his tale, often leaving the reader (well, me at least) scratching their head as to what it all means.  Reading it today it still comes across as a haunting and sometimes unsettling experience.

About fifteen years ago a friend and I did a book swap: he leant me a book he wanted me to read and I did likewise.  I got to read a Star Wars book which I’ve thankfully mostly forgotten about (I think it had a villain called Thrawn in it) and I leant him Lavondyss.  Needless to say we hated each other’s books and vowed never to try that again.  But reading Lavondyss now I can see why he might have hated it.  It’s such a brutal, trippy, opaque narrative, and I’m a little surprised today that I loved it as much as I did when I was a teenager.  It’s a demanding read.  It won’t ensnare everyone with its magic, but for those of us who do fall under its spell, it’s quite possibly something that’ll last a lifetime.

Incidentally, I read from the very same paperback I read from thirty years ago.

Sp93GUZ.jpg
    Get schwifty.
  • 10. A Memory Called Empire (Arkady Martine)
    Sci-fi set in the far future in the Teixicalaan Empire, which is very much like what an aztec or other South/Central American civilization might have been like of it had left the earth. An ambassador from an independent space station culture comes to the centre of the Teix culture, a planet wide city where her predecessor has been murdered. She, with the help of her native cultural liaison, tries to solve the crime whilst negotiating the continued independence of her home from a war of annexation against the background of an stirring revolution. Great stuff, well written with some really fantastic world building and prose.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • 11. Walking to Aldebaran (Adrian Tchaikovsky)
    A very British sci-fi novella about an expedition to an 'artifact' discovered out past Pluto, in which the makers of said artifact have "made physics their bitch". Short, funny and extremely imaginative. Highly recommended.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I loved that one.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    24. Lancelot by Giles Kristian. It’s bloody and it’s bloody good. The Arthurian tale told from the point of view of his bestest knight Lancelot, starting from when he was not yet ten years old, ping ponging from one tragedy to another, and all the way through the classic story touchstones most of us are probably familiar with, with special attention paid to his love affair with Guinevere. Absolutely loved it, and Kristian’s prose and storytelling skills are superb. My favourite read of the year so far.
    Get schwifty.
  • Noted some recommendations there, excellent.
    My reading pile of shame is sky high at the moment.
    Im currently making my way through The Mangle Street Murders by M. R. C. Kasasian and its quite fun so far and clearly the author is a huge Sherlock Holmes fan. The main detective is Holmes but a total dick.
    After that I want to finish The Name of the Wind trilogy by Patrick Rothfuss(Im middway through the second book) and get back to finishing The Expanse series (on book 5 I think).
    Then I plan on reading:
    Walking to Aldebaran (Adrian Tchaikovsky)
    Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
    Gideon the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    25.  Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl and Sir Orfeo.  These are three Middle English poems, the authors are unknown, but the translation I have just enjoyed was by J. R. R. Tolkien.  I’ll admit that when it comes to poetry I’m a terrible philistine, and I’ll admit too that I only came because of the translator.  I also took the easy route and went through them on audiobook, read by the wonderful Terry Jones.  Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is substantial (the audiobook clocks in at almost four and a half hours), written in alliterative verse, and it takes a little getting used to, but it’s really quite excellent, and when I turned it off at one point and picked up the book I’m reading at the moment I found myself reading it in the same rhythm as the poem.  I wasn’t quite as keen on Pearl.  It’s a little too theological for my tastes.  The final—and shortest—poem, Sir Orfeo, was great.  And Terry Jones...what a warm, comfort blanket of a voice he had.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    24. Lancelot by Giles Kristian. It’s bloody and it’s bloody good. The Arthurian tale told from the point of view of his bestest knight Lancelot, starting from when he was not yet ten years old, ping ponging from one tragedy to another, and all the way through the classic story touchstones most of us are probably familiar with, with special attention paid to his love affair with Guinevere. Absolutely loved it, and Kristian’s prose and storytelling skills are superb. My favourite read of the year so far.

Oof, 99p on Kindle, hello
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Get in there, muzzy.  It’s brilliant.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!