Homeschooling Help
‹ Previous12345
  • If you have kids you are trying to home school and you don't understand wtaf they have been asked to do...

Ask here and ol' tigro might be able to help out.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Cheers Tiger.

Home schooling has been going OK. In fact, I've been learning alot from it too :D

Elliots school have been really great tbh. Daily video explanations, constant feedback and varied tasks set. Really impressed.
  • Hi Tigro can you help me please, my 7yo needs someone to explain what a dilemma is to him for his English learning.  I am finding it hard to choose between doing my shitty work and helping his rubbish home learning.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Haha.

Tell him a dilemma is a problem. His problem. You're too busy.
  • Srsly, this is a lovely idea for those who might need a hand. You’re a good ’un, El Tigro.
  • Hi Tigro please can you justify why someone needs to understand what a fronted adverbial is, and how it will be useful in future life?
  • My colleague was meant to teach her daughter about diagraphs.  Neither she nor I had heard of the things and a Google search didn't make it any clearer.  Dear Tigro, why are diagraphs?
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Hi Tigro please can you justify why someone needs to understand what a fronted adverbial is, and how it will be useful in future life?

It will be useful for the next plague when your child has to homeschool their child. Obvs.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Hi Tigro please can you justify why someone needs to understand what a fronted adverbial is, and how it will be useful in future life?

"No".
  • Diagraphs are two letter sounds in words that don’t necessarily sound like they’re written (like phonetically). We had ir sounds today, I did ok:

6175-EBEE-BC31-4431-A3-C5-3-F047-BFF3-B74.jpg
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Nasty condition that. Best diagnosed early.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Diagraphs are two letter sounds in words that don’t necessarily sound like they’re written (like phonetically). We had ir sounds today, I did ok: 6175-EBEE-BC31-4431-A3-C5-3-F047-BFF3-B74.jpg

But I didn't learn to read phonetically, so they all like normal words to me.
  • That doesn’t change what they are though.
  • Ah, you asked why. The reason why is so that people could sell more books to schools, probably Tory donors.
  • My biases accept your response as the truth.  Thanks, Daddy.  No thanks to Tiger.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:
    It will be useful for the next plague when your child has to homeschool their child. Obvs.

Think I'll take my chances that the next plague will in fact render our children sterile, thus negating the need for obscure grammatical classifications
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Diagraphs are two letter sounds in words that don’t necessarily sound like they’re written (like phonetically). We had ir sounds today, I did ok: 6175-EBEE-BC31-4431-A3-C5-3-F047-BFF3-B74.jpg
    But I didn't learn to read phonetically, so they all like normal words to me.

Why does thirt and thirtsy get a tick?
  • Because he marked his own work, the cheating little shite.
  • So we get sent planning for PE lessons for the kids. Word got out (via my wife) that I used to be a PE coach and also hold a gymnastics instructor qualification so guess whos getting badgered to help all the other parents with their kids gymnastics lessons... goddamn it. 
    Is it selfish if I say no, I'm swamped as is?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    I'm vehemently against much of the Primary grammar curriculum which was put together to cover to cover year 1-11 and then squeezed into 1-6 because they, um, ran out of time and money.

Actually a lot of discourse about them at the moment. I suppose the core understanding should be 'What an adverbial does' which is to give additional information the the reader to make the writing clear. There was a castle vs In the distance, there was a castle. Fronted just means you stick it at the front.

In the distance, there was a castle vs There was a castle in the distance.

I don't have a huge issue with children knowing what these are. It doesn't make them any more proficient at reading or writing but an increased understanding of the underlying mechanics is an ok goal, I suppose? I think the main issue is the age they are asked to learn these things.

The real issue now is that Primary assessment of writing had devolved into arbitrary tick boxes of skills such as these, leading to 'flat pack writing' where children are encouraged to showcase very particular writing skills on a regular basis in case a teacher is moderated.

If I was to show you the government expectations for reading and writing you would be fucking gobsmacked. The exemplification for what a Year 2 child should be reading if they are 'Greater Depth' (re: high atttaining) is the 4th fucking Harry Potter book. THE FOURTH ONE.

In short, it won't help them in any way at all unless they become a teacher of some variety.
  • So we get sent planning for PE lessons for the kids. Word got out (via my wife) that I used to be a PE coach and also hold a gymnastics instructor qualification so guess whos getting badgered to help all the other parents with their kids gymnastics lessons... goddamn it.  Is it selfish if I say no, I'm swamped as is?
    just say no. also aren't your kids just about 4? surely PE at that age is just 'run around a bit and try not to hurt yourself' ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Under the Tory gov they scrapped the don’t hurt yourself bit. At least for state schools.
  • A little yea. I'm teaching them karate in the home dojo anyway so I'm pretty much covered.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Under the Tory gov they scrapped the don’t hurt yourself bit. At least for state schools.
    Hahaha!
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Ah, you asked why. The reason why is so that people could sell more books to schools, probably Tory donors.
    This is so true, by the way. Ofsted now look for something very specific in terms of phonics instruction and even if your results are good, you can get shredded for not doing it.

There are only 2 or 3 companies in the world who provide the resourcing they want schools to have.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Ah, you asked why. The reason why is so that people could sell more books to schools, probably Tory donors.
    This is so true, by the way. Ofsted now look for something very specific in terms of phonics instruction and even if your results are good, you can get shredded for not doing it. There are only 2 or 3 companies in the world who provide the resourcing they want schools to have.

And I bet we can guess whos mates those companies belong to...
  • The Daddy wrote:
    This is so true, by the way. Ofsted now look for something very specific in terms of phonics instruction and even if your results are good, you can get shredded for not doing it.

There are only 2 or 3 companies in the world who provide the resourcing they want schools to have.

Same reason all the gcse and a-level stuff was overhauled a few years back. Content changed a tiny bit but structure made all the old texts obsolete. Pearson/Edexcel is a registered charity but there’s got to be people in the background absolutely coining it.
  • So we get sent planning for PE lessons for the kids. Word got out (via my wife) that I used to be a PE coach and also hold a gymnastics instructor qualification so guess whos getting badgered to help all the other parents with their kids gymnastics lessons... goddamn it. 
    Is it selfish if I say no, I'm swamped as is?

Just send them links to the Joe Wicks videos.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If I was to show you the government expectations for reading and writing you would be fucking gobsmacked. The exemplification for what a Year 2 child should be reading if they are 'Greater Depth' (re: high atttaining) is the 4th fucking Harry Potter book. THE FOURTH ONE.

Having not read any Harry Potter books I have no idea why this is something I should be shocked by.
  • So we get sent planning for PE lessons for the kids. Word got out (via my wife) that I used to be a PE coach and also hold a gymnastics instructor qualification so guess whos getting badgered to help all the other parents with their kids gymnastics lessons... goddamn it.  Is it selfish if I say no, I'm swamped as is?
    Just send them links to the Joe Wicks videos.
    Might be a bit violent for children.
    Come with g if you want to live...
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!