They think it's all over. It is now.
‹ Previous12
  • Which game endings are brilliant which are meh and which are shit? 

Growing up the SF2 endings stick in my mind because it was the first game i'd ever played which had multiple endings (beating it with different characters) which made me want to replay the game to see each one. 

I loved the ending of Double Dragon when I was young. 

The hard part about this question is i don't complete that many games. And the ones I did on the Amiga often had one screen of text saying well done or something. 

I loved the ending of Halo 3 and the subsquent Halos I completed but I'd say that was more for the sense of accomplishment of beating the game more than the reward of having something exiting happen at the end of the game.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Dynamite Headdy had an ending that went all on, which was what I wanted at the time.  The curtain call was neat and you got a round up of all your secret bonus points at the end, plus an extra scene if you'd acquired the special code (which I've only ever done with save states).  It's still the first game that springs to mind for a good ending anyway.
  • And from 26.10 for disappointment here:

• "Congratulations, you have completed [GAME]!  Go back to the start and try again."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The ending for Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time turned it into the only game I’ve ever played with a story that I didn’t forget five minutes after finishing the game.
  • I liked the ending of Zub (Amstrad).  Something along the lines of "You have been awarded the King's highest honour.  Execution at dawn."
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Though this said "it is snow" and I was like ye-hah Sherlock
  • Into the Breach has a really nice done ending - after battling over the various Islands seeing the exit from the underground base is done really well. I also prefer game endings to be as much in game as possible.

Halo:Reach ending was pretty cool - so much that I remember it being far more intense and a bigger last stand than it actually is. 

Red Dead Redemptions has to get a nod here doesnt it? Its kind of 2 endings and both work great.

Infamous has a nice play on the good ending and bad ending. I think that was one of the free games I got after the psn outage or something, I remember not expecting much of it and yet I cleared it and really enjoyed the plot. 

Not quite the ending, I like the "Catwoman walks away" ending in Batman: Arkham City. Its a neat play and while it cant be classed as a proper ending it does give the player the choice to end things in a different (albeit early) manner.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Revenge of Shinobi had two endings.  Good (you beat the last boss in time to save the girl from being crushed into paste) and bad (you beat the last boss but not quickly enough).  I could easily beat the boss in time but often delayed things because bad ending had nice music.
  • I used to love Streets of Rage 2's ending, the music is still ingrained in my memory.

Do, dodo do, de de do, do, do,
    Do do do de de dooo
    Di de doo, di, dii, diii...
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Rime Is really the one that sticks out. I had something in my eye throughout the ending of that.

The Last Of Us That was a controversial ending for some, but Id have done the same thing as Joel tbh.

Mass Effect 3 I dont remember the details but I do remember being a bit...hmmmmmm....doesnt make a huge amount of sense....and is weird..

Wow my memory is appalling....
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The ending for Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time turned it into the only game I’ve ever played with a story that I didn’t forget five minutes after finishing the game.
    yep, same.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yossarian wrote:
    yep, same.

Despite having played this through at least twice, I couldn't remember the end at all. So I looked it up and still can't see what is so special about it?

Gamertag: gremill
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    yep, same.

Despite having played this through at least twice, I couldn't remember the end at all. So I looked it up and still can't see what is so special about it?

Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The ending to Little Inferno is still something I think about. The soundtrack, the message, the overwhelming positivity following a game about nihilism. It reduced me to tears during a particularly dark period I was having where I felt somewhat useless, and I just love that the main message is
    Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Utterly breaks me just to listen to this

• YES.  Played that for the first time last year and really enjoyed the whole thing.  Ending is great.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And then it all breaks into this and you get the release you've needed after staring at a fireplace for 6 hours.

And in terms of musical catharsis, that's up there with MSP's This is Yesterday, when the crunch finally kicks in.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And in all of that, you finally get the power to move as a character. Fuck me.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Now you’ve made me think of ending songs, have this stone-cold classic to cheer you back up again:

Special mention to Still Alive too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Super Mario World's end sequence was particularly satisfying. I like how it changed after you completed Special World.

The Doki Doki Panic / Western SMB2 end sequence music is very pleasing.

Original arcade Outrun's different endings raised a smile.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Speedball 2. Complete the single player game by winning the league, taking Brutal Deluxe from laughing stock to champions … and you get a picture. Just one. An illustration of the team celebrating. And … that’s it. One picture, no text, the end. Bye!
  • Earliest memories of actually completed games would be SMB, SMB2 (US), Zelda et al.

I remember being impressed at Megaman's parallax scrolling ending, since that was a thing we were supposed to be impressed by back then (I think that every review in CVG would mention parallax scrolling layers...).

SMB2's "it was all a dream" was kinda shitty.

Megadrive had some great ones, loved the Strider hang-gliding (?) to victory and away. Final Fight's rip-off of Double Dragon's made no sense on SFamicom of course 'cos no playable Guy.

PoP's was great, nice one Yoss, and SF2's multiple endings seemed worth striving for when I was 14. SMK was good, if you made no mistake whilst racing, you could use the shoulder buttons to rotate around the replay.

Undertale sticks in my mind these days
  • Little King's Story on Wii (not the Vita version) always sticks out for me as a left-field ending.
    Spoiler:
  • Vanquish and its shooter credits roll was special if that counts.

Spec Ops the Line for its plot and whoa yeah moments.

Binary Domain too for all its different endings.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Mass Effect 2: The final mission. You better make sure you are ready, have done those side quests, scanned those planets. I cant think of another game that will cull characters like that with a whole other game to come.
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day. It's just genuinely profound.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Now you’ve made me think of ending songs, have this stone-cold classic to cheer you back up again: Special mention to Still Alive too.

great shout Yoss
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Any interactive credits, e.g. Super Monkey Ball.
  • Zombies Ate My Neighbours. You get to meet the crew!!!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • JonB wrote:
    Any interactive credits, e.g. Super Monkey Ball.

NieR Automata. :)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!