ScourgeBringer
‹ Previous1234
  • A place to discuss the punishing-yet-excellent rogue lite that slipped just under the radar when it was released last year, which will probably end up serving as a chat room for Muzzy and I to compare tips while we work towards completion.  

It's the tightest thing in existence, the controls are absolutely spot on and it's just a glorious arcade delight.  A good old fashioned screen clearer with a modern twist (the dreaded random numberwangs) that's as tough as double'ard prehistoric boots.  I thought I was edging closer on Monday night but an hour with it yesterday suggested I'm still way off the pace.  Further from it, in fact.  After 7hrs or so the best run I've had saw me fall at the 4th boss and as I've already unlocked all the perks it's down to me, my thumbs and lady luck now.  

Check it out, roguefans.  Available on Game Pass and everywhere else.  It's wiping the floor with me but I'm still enjoying mopping up the baddies.  

Eurogamer Recommended
  • I downloaded it last night after reading yours and Ace's comments, but haven't played yet. I predict i will bounce right off it after one go, but we shall see! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's really fucking hard. But every time you sure it's cute you fucked up. It's just ready to fuck up.

I find it really difficult deciding when to be patient, and when to just launch in and slash/smash the fuckers. The latter obviously being more fun but riskier, the former often not an option cos of the open rooms.

Always seems you need to smash earlier than I expect to deflect bullets, so that takes getting used to.

I basically never use the gun. Which is likely an error.
  • I'd say the gun will end up being just as essential to success as most other things.  It's particularly important in level 4.  I'm trying to force myself to use it a bit more but, like you, my preference is to concentrate on the sword.  The RNG on the gun drops and prices is the most infuriating thing so far, as there's a massive difference in usefulness between the weapon types (I've had something called a cross grenade once, and it fucking wrecked).  I need to work on my boss tactics too, as soon as I see them I tend to Leeroy in, and one of the sub guardians in level three causes me more problems than it probably should.  Plus it's so hard to gamble on any altar offerings that aren't health related as I'm always struggling with HP.

I want another go but I'm at work.  I might buy it on Switch....
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I never have enough money to buy anything in the shop. But I don't have the combo ability unlocked, or the start with 500 bloods. But the invincibility run I've started should sort that out I hope...
  • Yep the combo thing definitely helps with money.  Starting with 500 is nice, but it feels like the prices scale up accordingly so I dunno.  You really don't get a chance to buy much - buy a gun with a mod slot and the next available mod is often unaffordable.  Or you could spend a chunk of blood on a gun and find yourself gifted a better one at the start of the next stage.  Another perk allows you to smash shop offerings to improve them, but the prices hit you in the sky rockets when you do.

I'm loathe to say it's too hard, as perhaps that's why I'm so obsessed with it, but it really is a good 25% too tough imo. God knows what the post-game would be like.  If this had a fixed mode with non-randomised worlds, set items/prices in shops and a specific order to altar offerings you'd be looking at a potential Moot [10], which the perfect example of a moot score.
  • I downloaded it last night after reading yours and Ace's comments, but haven't played yet. I predict i will bounce right off it after one go, but we shall see! ;)

The first hour is particularly brutal.  Good luck.
  • Hard as fecking nails. 
    With all rogue i get better as I play but this no progress at all. 
    I can never get that deflect projectiles timing correct.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • This came out at the same time as another amazing looking rogue-like (Ether Loop). 
    Both passed across my radar at the time but an uncompletably hard, rogue-like is my worst nightmare. I'll give it a razz if it's on gamepass.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Have had my eye on Ether Loop for a while, it does indeed look mint
  • pantyfire wrote:
    I can never get that deflect projectiles timing correct.

Having played for maybe 8hrs or so now, I'd say this is the one area of the combat that misses the mark. The quarter second delay feels too off-beat to deflect such speedy projectiles, and given that you're often fighting through enemy sprites rather than alongside them it causes some annoyances in the late game with the direction of he slash.

I'm not convinced I'm getting any better at this now, I've still only seen that 4th boss once and there's nothing left to unlock.
  • There's a level three sub boss in this that I just can't get to grips with.  It usually costs me 4-5hp and seems to take an age to die.  I must be doing something wrong, but it's still annoying.  

Reached level 5 for the first time without invincibility cheating today and managed to defeat two sub bosses.  I thought I'd played my cards right by not picking an full health regen from the altars up to that point, but of course it didn't give me the option when I needed it.  Was playing at 70%/70% speed though, so it wouldn't have counted.
  • monkey wrote:
    This came out at the same time as another amazing looking rogue-like (Ether Loop).  Both passed across my radar at the time but an uncompletably hard, rogue-like is my worst nightmare. I'll give it a razz if it's on gamepass.

Pop it on the invincibility mode if you want to take away the frustration, it's still a fun game to smash through with the bumpers up.
  • I did it! At 70% enemy speed and 70% bullet speed admittedly, but I'm wellchuffed with that. Upping the settings to 80/80....
  • Did 20 mins. Died a lot. Good though.
  • We have a thread guys. I'm getting back on this.
  • I'm heading back in now, probably complete the game this session, I can feel it.
  • Looking at my stats I've 4:20 played (blaze it), and 28 attempts so far. 68% of the tree done.

Still determined to play it full fat and avoid any invince-recs into later stages.

I've got the deflect timing down, you definitely need to deflect earlier than you think. The thing that annoys me about it is a) you're often deep in the sprite of an enemy so it's harder to react to stuff and b) it's not an 'all of your character' deflect, as in, you'll deflect the portion of bullets that are directly against your sword (at least I think it's the sword your using). This means denser waves of bullets can still hurt you even if you deflect at them, as some squeeze past the deflect hotbox. I'm sure I'll get better at it though.
  • This game is hard in the sense that you get fuck all hp drops. None of the enemies in isolation are difficult, even the bosses (that I've seen far) once you know their patterns are fine, but complacency creeps in and the rng will throw a tough arrangement of enemies at you at times.

Don't think I've made it to world 4 yet :/
  • I tend to avoid deflecting most of the time, and just focus on dashing to enemies for the stun when the exclamation mark turns up.

World 3 is very annoying, but those flies that explode - if you smash them when they are doing the charge up animation, the bullets they eventually pop out will count as deflected, so no need to dodge.

Despite finding it ok to get to World 5 now, Candlemask is still my least favourite Judge, cos if the random bullets he showed as he moves, dickhead.
  • Yeah I tend to just use deflect on the bosses tbh, they seem to do huge damage sometimes, like on bodybuilder's hand drop that spews big balls out, deflect a full bunch of those into him and he takes a huge hit.
  • I watched one review of the game that said stick the more hp drops accessibility on, but I can't bring myself to do it, still only 6hrs in and as a kid I'd be playing this for a year before my next game. Gonna tough it out.

Did you clock it, Temps?
  • Not yet, have been okaying New Colossus these last few nights, World 5 is frustrating so I took a break.
  • I swear it's the low hp that makes it difficult, if it gave you back even 50% at end of level it'd be so much easier. Granted I've only seen up to level 3 so far. Really enjoying it tho, and I always want to like roguelikes more than I do (Gungeon is sat on my PS4 criminally underplayed).
  • I think adaptive difficulty is the default mode now, was reading some patch notes earlier.  It's designed to make levels you're consistently struggling with easier and won't scale up past the standard difficulty.  Iirc Muzzy and I played with adaptive difficulty off (harder), but more generous health drops (easier, obvs).  

Another patch is imminent too.
  • Yeah it says adaptive is the default, you can switch it off but I haven't bothered. I assumed it was just the guy who'd appear every few runs at the start and give you a bunch of power ups saying I think you need these, fucking shade from that cunt.
  • Maybe you were 70% too slow to catch him.
  • Or 30% too slow, you get the bants I mean.
  • The thing I found most annoying in this was the fact that I never got a full HP regen offering on level 5. There were a handful of times where I went in crossing my fingers but nope. I assume it's been designed so it doesn't crop up that late in the game, but it didn't stop me foolishly playing for it a few times. Maybe I was just unlucky.
  • I'm finding this game filling my thoughts when I'm not playing it, can someone else post some more things pls?
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!