The MCU Spoiler Thread ('free' on Disney+ UK pace)
  • I find Melissa Mccarthy to be so excruciatingly unfunny, that I actively avoid anything to do with her.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I think Spy is a good movie. I liked the Ghostbusters remake with Thor in it.

I thought both were shit, with the Ghostbusters remake being the shittest of the two.
  • Aye, that Ghostbusters reboot was painful stuff.
  • I'm with Reg, Spy is good fun. Bridesmaids is funny. I even like the one with her and Sandra Bullock. Takes all sorts I suppose
  • Aye, I'm not ragging on anyone that likes her schtick, because humour is a very personal thing, but she's not for me.
  • Helen O'Hara of Empire had a rant a while back about how McCarthy has range but since Bridesmaids has been only offered the same roles over and over again.  Can't remember the movie she cited but perhaps it would be nice for her to get another opportunity to not play the Sean Spicer OTT character (although I thoroughly enjoyed her Sean Spicer).
  • She’s great in Can You Ever Forgive Me? with Richard E. Grant, which is a definite change of pace from the usual roles referred to above. I think she was nominated for an Oscar or some such for that role. Not sure she won it. That said I quite like her schtick from time to time, and loved her Sean Spicer.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Is Goldblum back for Thor?  Or was his character killed - I can't remember?

McCarthy is as funny as a toothache.  But that could be because of her getting typecast.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    She was good in Bridesmaids, but that was, I felt, down to Wiig.
  • Also Statham was the best thing in Spy by a long way.
  • Yes. Although I'm a sucker for decent visual comedy and the falling over scooter gag was a good one. I'm easily pleased, like a baby
  • Statham’s comic chops are surprisingly good. That Fast & Furious scene with him and the baby is an all-timer.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Thing is. Tubby people and physical comedy can be funny. But it has its limits.

No one.....no one ..... did it like Oliver Hardy.

McCarthy herself doesn't deserve the ire most likely. She took the opportunity of Bridesmaids and made the best of it.

It's the lilly livered talentless execs who ask for the same thing over and over when she may be quite able to do more. So to hell with them and not with Melissa.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Is Goldblum back for Thor?  Or was his character killed - I can't remember?

McCarthy is as funny as a toothache.  But that could be because of her getting typecast.

Goldblum I think
    Spoiler:
  • Just competed season 1 of Invincible on Amazon Prime. Very good, and recommended for those who want something different from their superheroes ahead of Loki. Animated with plenty of gore as per the source material by Robert Kirkman. Well done tho.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • You know somethings good when Michael Dorn is once again a battle crazy alien warrior who demands honour.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    You know somethings good when Michael Dorn is once again a battle crazy alien warrior who demands honour.

You made me check out the cast and blimey, it's got some big names involved. I only knew JK Simmons and Seth Rogan from watching it because their voices are so distinctive
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Doctor Strange was going to show up in WandaVision, partly to tie into his next film, and the advert breaks were initially going to be messages from him to Wanda, but they felt it would cheapen Wanda's story and didn't like the idea of a white guy showing being like 'Here's how to use power' so they ditched it, even though they had a deal signed with Cumberbatch and had to rewrite the Doctor Strange sequel a bit: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-news/kevin-feige-reveal-dr-strange-written-out-wandavision-1164455/amp/
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I mean you can click on the link if you want but I guess I saved you a click with that actually-quite-long summary.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I mean you can click on the link if you want but I guess I saved you a click with that actually-quite-long summary.

It's an actually quite short summary given that it contains everything of any relevance from the much longer article. 

Meanwhile, Marvel's released a promotional thing naming a few of the upcoming movies, including some brief, not terribly informative clips.

If you're wondering what "The Marvels" is, it's Captain Marvel Two, now with added Miss Marvel, much to the delight of my kids.  (Who are very excited to see Miss Marvel on screen, whilst simultaneously irritated that she isn't being played by one of them.)

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Is that 4 at the end for Fantastic 4? Or is it for phase 4?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Apparently The Marvels having three Marvels in it was at the encouragement of Brie Larson but I do wonder if it's gonna mean we get a messy plot for the second Captain Marvel movie in a row.
  • "the messy plot was solved by Brie's character being massively over powered. the end"
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Apparently The Marvels having three Marvels in it was at the encouragement of Brie Larson but I do wonder if it's gonna mean we get a messy plot for the second Captain Marvel movie in a row.

Think you're in the wrong thread m8
  • Is that 4 at the end for Fantastic 4? Or is it for phase 4?

Pretty sure it's Fantastic 4 - they announced a director last year.  (Jon Watts, who directed the last - and next - Spider Man movie)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    EvilRedEye wrote:

Think you're in the wrong thread m8

MONICA RAMBEAU BEING A MARVEL IN THE MARVELS IS A SPOILER PLOT POINT FROM WANDAVISION, A DISNEY+ ORIGINAL TV SHOW.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I knew she got powers, but had no idea she was becoming a Marvel.

Maybe we need another thread for MCU Film and TV spoilers.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    On a serious note, what do you guys want to do about movies in here? Your options are:
    * Separate thread for movies, no open spoilers in here until they're no extra cost on Disney+.
    * Encourage movie discussion here but, again, would have to be spoiler tagged until no extra cost on Disney+.
  • That seems complicated. Just make this the mcu spoiler thread and carry on as we have been?

Leave the superhero thread for trash like dc and gav to roll his eyes in

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!