RIP Gordon Hall
  • I know I'm back after less than a week, but I couldn't let this pass.

Gordon Hall died yesterday.  He was a genius in the games industry.  He was my last boss in games and I spent a year in equal amounts admiring him and butting heads with him.  I'll forever remember telling him he was the only person who could treat me so badly yet I still consider a great friend.  The reality is though that he just demanded hard work and he lead that by example.  You'd never work an hour longer than he did.

After I left R* we kept in touch and I'd invite him to nights out, though real life meant this never happened.  The last time I saw him in person was 2007, something I'll forever regret.  I'm glad for his last few years that he was "free" of the industry and could live a comfortable life, not working all the hours in the world.

He was my friend and I'm so grateful to have known him.  Today though I'm devastated.

Rest well my friend, taken far far far too soon x
  • Sorry for your loss mate. Sounds like a good man.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :(
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Sad news. Sorry for your loss Kris. He doesn't look that old from the photos of him so guessing he went before his time too :(
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sorry for your loss, Kris.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That’s terrible news. Sorry for your loss.
  • Crikey. That’s sad news.
  • Sorry for your loss Kris.
  • He left some time ago, but he was a loss to the industry too.

Don't under estimate the part he played on Red Dead Redemption. The credits have him has head of R* Leeds, but in reality he lived in and lead the San Diego office for that game.

The game I'll always remember him for though is GTA Chinatown Wars. That's the only game that made me regret retiring.

He was a Titan and I'm truly angry to see no mention from R* or Take Two today.
  • Chinatown Wars for the DS was brilliant.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • He'd be happy you're championing his achievements, Kris. Sorry for your loss and thank you for informing me of this industry legend.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye...proper blockbuster stuff is old GTA.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • nick_md wrote:
    He'd be happy you're championing his achievements, Kris. Sorry for your loss and thank you for informing me of this industry legend.

He had no ego.  He'd turn my praise straight in the direction of all who worked for him.  He'd also be quite surprised, because for the year I spent working for him I really was very petulant.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    He'd be happy you're championing his achievements, Kris. Sorry for your loss and thank you for informing me of this industry legend.
    He had no ego.  He'd turn my praise straight in the direction of all who worked for him.  He'd also be quite surprised, because for the year I spent working for him I really was very petulant.

Love that, I had been thinking recently about the bosses I'd fight for, and there's a few that would never believe that from how I might have come across at the time

I choose to believe that they knew. Sounds like an awesome bloke, glad you got to know him, sorry that he passed so young
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!