Outriders - Square-Enix/People Can Fly Co-op Shooter
‹ Previous123456789
  • Q7byieO.jpg

https://outriders.square-enix-games.com/en-gb/

Release date 1st April 2021.

Launching PS4/PS5, Stadia, Windows and Xbox One/Series S/X.

Gamepass day one:

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2021-03-15-outriders-launches-straight-into-xbox-game-pass-microsoft-confirms

Demo available now and your progress carries over to the main game.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I've played the demo a fair bit and have increasingly liked it, definitely opens up once you get a few powers.

It's not a live game and zero micro transactions as well.

Anyone else dipping in on gamepass?
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I was really looking forward to it, but the demo left me unimpressed. There's nothing wrong with it per se, it just all feels a bit messy. And the controls aren't tight enough. In fact they're rather 'wooly', for want of a better word.

I imagine end-game will be a different story, and something akin to Diablo where you're just spamming special moves in a whirlwind of chaos and not actually using any firearms.

I might still get it, but its Monster Hunter next week, and that's likely to be taking up all of my time.
  • Curtis wrote:
    I was really looking forward to it, but the demo left me unimpressed. There's nothing wrong with it per se, it just all feels a bit messy. And the controls aren't tight enough. In fact they're rather 'wooly', for want of a better word.

I imagine end-game will be a different story, and something akin to Diablo where you're just spamming special moves in a whirlwind of chaos and not actually using any firearms.

I might still get it, but its Monster Hunter next week, and that's likely to be taking up all of my time.

Yeah I know what you mean. The devs have been active in saying they're addressing the feedback on movement and other aspects, I'm expecting a decent day one patch to make a lot of improvements
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Let me know how it goes as I too wanted to like it. Out of interest is the GP freebie also for PC?
  • It's console and cloud only.

I assume it'll come to gp pc at some point but not day 1.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Booo
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I also reckon this might be another Remnant - where the first area (the demo) is dreary and uninspired, then it gets all colourful and fantastical. The trailer at the end of the demo certainly showed a lot of exotic locations.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I followed a load of dev videos and it all looked very promising but the demo less than impressed. Four characters each with main quest about 30+ hours then a load of end game missions on top was a lot of value in it. But that gameplay man. Needs more Destiny head pops.
  • Curtis wrote:
    I also reckon this might be another Remnant - where the first area (the demo) is dreary and uninspired, then it gets all colourful and fantastical. The trailer at the end of the demo certainly showed a lot of exotic locations.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping. Co-op'd all the way through remnant and had a great time
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I followed a load of dev videos and it all looked very promising but the demo less than impressed. Four characters each with main quest about 30+ hours then a load of end game missions on top was a lot of value in it. But that gameplay man. Needs more Destiny head pops.

I've had quite a lot of good Gears style gibbing, can defo see the influence!
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Well they were the developers on Gears Judgement, arguably the best Gears.  ;)
  • Deffo the best gears, controls wise. Which is why it's a bit gutting to hear movement isn't quite there. That's not something a day one patch can fix imo.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Its not dreadful, its just not 'right'.
  • I heard they patched the demo. Seems kinda weird but also a good sign that they're willing to get behind the game?
  • I think it's because the 'snap' isn't as meaty. Obviously your characters aren't wearing the massive armour like in gears so there isn't as much weight behind it all
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    I heard they patched the demo. Seems kinda weird but also a good sign that they're willing to get behind the game?

Yeah they've been great. Demon progress carries over to main game so makes sense they want it to be as polished as possible
  • They have patched it then rolled back the patch.

It was a balance change as people were farming legendaries in the demo and it will screw up progression when the full game comes out. People got mad.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    I think it's because the 'snap' isn't as meaty. Obviously your characters aren't wearing the massive armour like in gears so there isn't as much weight behind it all

Its not about Gears comparisons, its just general 3rd person shooter movement, heft, ADS wooliness, all sorts. Lets put it this way: after playing the demo i loaded up Anthem and immediately said "thats what it should feel like". And yes i stayed on the ground for comparisons sake.

Also, The Division is basically the standard now for all 3rd person cover shooters. I know this game is all about in-your-face = heal tactics, and you must avoid cowardice behind cover. Which begs the question: why bother with cover at all? Make it a full blown run & gun affair (which i assume it will be once you're fully tooled up).

I dunno. I'll probably buy it regardless. I was just expecting more of the standard i'm used to in 2021. Maybe it'll be less important once you start getting FAT loot.
  • It felt much nicer to shoot with mouse and keyboard than it did with controller. Controller aiming felt very wooly.
  • Curtis wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    I think it's because the 'snap' isn't as meaty. Obviously your characters aren't wearing the massive armour like in gears so there isn't as much weight behind it all

Its not about Gears comparisons, its just general 3rd person shooter movement, heft, ADS wooliness, all sorts. Lets put it this way: after playing the demo i loaded up Anthem and immediately said "thats what it should feel like". And yes i stayed on the ground for comparisons sake.

Also, The Division is basically the standard now for all 3rd person cover shooters. I know this game is all about in-your-face = heal tactics, and you must avoid cowerdice behind cover. Which begs the question: why bother with cover at all? Make it a full blown run & gun affair (which i assume it will be once you're fully tooled up).

I dunno. I'll probably buy it regardless. I was just expecting more of the standard i'm used to in 2021. Maybe it'll be less important once you start getting FAT loot.

Totally get you mate. Cover seems a bit odd, I only use it if I need to wait 10 seconds for a power to recharge or when fighting a boss
  • How much space on the Xbox does the demo use?
  • Absolutely up for more People Can Fly but yeah, as mentioned, Monster Hunter is here. Oot for now.
  • Given this is the developer who gave us Bulletstorm I found the demo couldn't be further from it while still being a shooter.
    What started out hopeful quickly turns dull.

Limp shooting mechanics in the demo were tolerable until it started going into hub world questathon land and realised the game would want me to be doing lots of this.

Bulletstorm had tighter than tight gameplay with a tour de force, action nutso campaign that didn't outstay its welcome.

The demo for Outriders felt like the opposite. Its a GaaS without the guts to even believe in itself as such. Its like year 3 of an abandoned GaaS.

Menus ripped directly from Destiny, not influenced, ripped. A hub world of bland grey brown gantries and walk ways. Deeply serious blokes stood next to banners no doubt ready to give faction quests.

I'm not a big fan of Destiny. I have tried it, I see what others get out of it but its not for myself. I have no idea why anyone would play this over Destiny.
  • I think this is going to review quite badly btw. Unless there is something much more than what the demo offered I can see reviewers really resenting having to play it.
  • On a scale of Nicholas Cage movies.

They have aimed for Con Air and delivered Left Behind when all the while they should have been making Next.
  • Devs on reddit talking about the cover system, and future improvements to it:

Official Dev Thread - Let's discuss Cover! https://reddit.com/r/outriders/comments/m77b8d/official_dev_thread_lets_discuss_cover/
  • Looks like the demo has been patched again.  I can't be sure but I only downloaded it yesterday and when I booted it up just now it had an update.  

Patch notes didn't mention any changes to movement but I did notice that the motion blur can be switched off.  Quite a few folk were complaining about that.
  • I've enjoyed this. Maybe it's because I've never played a Gears game or looter shooter before but it seems pretty solid to me.  I like the different approaches when using each class.

If anyone fancies some coop once it's released, I'll be up for it.
  • THERE IS ANOTHER PERSON WHO LIKES IT
  • I've played through the demo with three different characters and classes. But I'm not doing the farming thing to try and get legendary weapons, some people have put 10s of hours in. Crazy
‹ Previous123456789

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!