• Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I don’t think a solid iron bathtub will burn …
    Thermite?
  • They don’t tend to be a problem in the U.K.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I have heard that grabber lorries are fussy eaters.
  • There is a fierce monster in my garden. This one is not a fussy eater.

N8TyEge.jpg
  • Planted an acer this year that's beginning to sprout leaves. It turns red in autumn, so hopefully I'll eventually have a garden that looks like Ghost of Tsushima.

Also planted a grapevine against a south facing fence. Be interesting to see if I get much fruit on it.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Need to take down some decking in our garden, the previous occupants used it to cover a multitude of sins. Mainly lumps of concrete and brick but also some bikes and what appears to be a solid iron bath tub. Sooo, do I get a grabber lorry or shift it myself with a skip?

Depends how big it is. I got rid of a 10' x 7' deck - tore it up with a crowbar, but needed to hire one of those blokes who turn up with a van and cart it away for £70. Cheaper than a skip.

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    I have heard that grabber lorries are fussy eaters.

Yeah. Grabbers are generally for one type of waste. So a big pile of dig out or all timber or all bricks and hardcore. And you need 16 tonnes of it to fill a grabber. So yup, skip it’ll be for you.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Need to take down some decking in our garden, the previous occupants used it to cover a multitude of sins. Mainly lumps of concrete and brick but also some bikes and what appears to be a solid iron bath tub. Sooo, do I get a grabber lorry or shift it myself with a skip?

Depends how big it is. I got rid of a 10' x 7' deck - tore it up with a crowbar, but needed to hire one of those blokes who turn up with a van and cart it away for £70. Cheaper than a skip.

Fuck getting men with erm, vens. That’s like 98% of the fly tippers out there. Only use proper waste removal firms.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    My garden currently has a moot in it.

Wait, what?

davyK wrote:
    Lady 3 doors down from us used to have ducks in her garden and had a pond for them. They lived far longer than she anticipated and when they were old became very grumpy. Used to hear them in the morning rowing amongst themselves. :)

From what little I know about ducks, that wasn’t just rowing. That was ducks serially raping each other. Awful, horrid creatures.
  • I read that as rowing as in the boat race. Not falling out with each other before descending into an actual sex crime. Fuck! I thought ducks were lovely.
  • They are lovely, unless you’re a female duck. Or an unlucky male duck when there aren’t any females around.

There’s a metaphor for British political leaders around here somewhere.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    I have heard that grabber lorries are fussy eaters.

Yeah. Grabbers are generally for one type of waste. So a big pile of dig out or all timber or all bricks and hardcore. And you need 16 tonnes of it to fill a grabber. So yup, skip it’ll be for you.

Most probably 5m by 5m raised up 1m, there is sooo much shit under it.
  • Anyone know what these red things are? I’m guessing aliens, obviously.

EUmUwia.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye --- that's Red Weed.   Keep an eye out for a large cylinder.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    btw - that's a big mature looking garden you have. Hard work. Looks great though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • poprock wrote:
    Anyone know what these red things are? I’m guessing aliens, obviously.

EUmUwia.jpg

Looks like your common or garden Triffid.
  • Think it's a Euphorbia pops. Lovely plant but sap is pretty toxic and burns so keep Cooper away.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Europhobia - Brexiteer plants.
  • davyK wrote:
    btw - that's a big mature looking garden you have. Hard work. Looks great though.

It’s well separated into zones or areas, so we can pick sections to work on, rather trying to handle it all straight away - just as Uncle recommended.

For example, we’re completely ignoring this section. Might try and plant it as an apple orchard a couple of years from now, but that would depend on apple trees being happy in wet ground - this section doesn’t drain too well.

9pj8bsN.jpg

Whereas this corner, we’ve got fairly well under control already. Cleared and removed all dead stuff, weeded, cut back all living stuff, trimmed back the creepers along the fence, spread compost, jet washed the stone and paving, cleaned and scrubbed the greenhouse (inside and out - been using it for planting seeds etc already).

tNE8QNs.jpg
  • Eric wrote:
    Think it's a Euphorbia pops. Lovely plant but sap is pretty toxic and burns so keep Cooper away.

A quick Google suggests you’re right there, thanks. If Eurphorbia looks like this, it’s damn similar.
    4a5d5dd4-cc30-4120-9e36-77be5ee3e457-f81d953.jpg

The sap sounds like nasty stuff. Sounds like it burns human skin, let alone dog’s stomachs.
  • That bench is massive.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Here’s some compost heap pics for @Nina. This is the smallest of our heaps, and the one I’m putting food waste into now. So when our kitchen food waste bin is full, I lift some of the dry matter off the top here, empty the food bin into it, then fork it all through a bit before covering it back over. FY8bofB.jpg Then because of the Scottish weather, I put a tarp over the top. 4592DDz.jpg The good stuff with the worms should be happening lower down in the depths of there already. I’m just topping it up.
    I'm still not sure if I should do it or not. We're probably only gonna be at this place for 1,5 more years, and reading that it could take between 2 months and a year for the compost the be useable, I'm not sure if it makes sense for me to start it. 

Hoping to pick up a few azalea's today and some smaller pots to fill the whiskey barrel, maybe a few herbs for some spare containers I have, and that should be it for this summer. Might try and see if I can save the roses, there's currently at least 3 plants in 1 spot.
  • Yeah, it’s a Euphorbia.  Some of them can be a bit thuggish with their spread but I think your golden for space so you’ll be fine.  We have a couple in our garden and we have cats, dogs and kids and none of us have succumbed to the sap at any point over the years.  Coops should be fine and dogs tend to be pretty smart with not eating deathly plants anyway.  The sap will come from any broken stems and looks like milk so it’s pretty easy to spot anyway.
  • Good stuff, thanks. It’s quite near to the house, so we can easily spot any broken stems, leaking sap, whatever.

There shouldn’t be anything too mental in the garden really, the previous owner had a dog and young grandkids running about.
  • Yeah,  I’m not hugely bothered about ‘toxic’ plants in private gardens.  Half the stuff we grow has an element of toxicity to it.  Just don’t put stuff in your mouth and eat it if you don’t know what it is tends to be a good starting position.
  • Any tips on plants for shady areas? I have a South facing garden but the fence shades any plants and there's also a couple of trees. I've been looking on the RHS website for shrubs with flowers that will be of interest over summer and autumn that can go against the fence then some other plants to go in front but they're are so many options on the search and so many results I've got no idea what I'm looking at.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    n0face wrote:
    Any tips on plants for shady areas? I have a South facing garden but the fence shades any plants and there's also a couple of trees. I've been looking on the RHS website for shrubs with flowers that will be of interest over summer and autumn that can go against the fence then some other plants to go in front but they're are so many options on the search and so many results I've got no idea what I'm looking at.
    I was recommended Azalea, Hydrangea and Camellia by my garden center, all should have flowers. I also picked up Coleus, which are really nicely coloured leaves that should work well in the shade / under trees.

I do live in a slightly different climate than the UK though. Just went to the garden center where I wanted to buy and asked for advice there. I even got some really bad jokes on top of the advice!
  • Uncle will have a better handle on this but for all year round cover most ferns are good for shade plus provide loads of texture if you mix up the varieties. If your after colour Heurchera are great little plants and available in lots of different shades.
    Ivy is very reliable but can take over if not managed.
    Fatsia japonica has lovely leaves plus is evergreen and does well in partial shade/full shade.

My go to plant for ground cover though is Pachysandra terminalis. It looks great planted on mass plus if you punctuate with tree planting (especially those with devorative bark like silver birch/Tibetan birch or Tibetan cherry etc) it looks great.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Awhile back i was talking about redoing my garden and @unc made some suggestions. One of them was a picture which i cant find as i cant recalk the thread it was on. Basically to paraphrase @unc he was talking about layering your plants. He posted a pic of plants against a wall. There were low ones and then a set of tall plants (tree?) thin brown steam and the folliage only started very high up. They were pinned against the wall. I ask as for the life of me i cant recall the name of that plant he recmmended recommended as it was good for screenage due to its height and made the layering with the low plants look better.

I know its a shot in the dark..
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Was it a fence?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!