adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    A thread about famous people who aren't dead but whose careers now are (or at least should be). A non-peado Thread of the Ped if you will.

Noel Clarke

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/apr/29/actor-noel-clarke-accused-of-groping-harassment-and-bullying-by-20-women

Very good reporting but horrific set of allegations.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yeah seems a piece of shit.
    Can-of-sprite
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Thread of the pred.
  • *thread moved to off topic.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    *thread moved to off topic.

I literally looked at the little drop-down list, said to myself "I need to remember to change that this time"... and then forgot.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That nut who played Kramer on Seinfeld....his racist rant at a stand up that was recorded sorted him out.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    One of the very first examples of it is Fatty Arbuckle.  It turned out what he had been accused of wasn't true but the allegation of rape/sexual assault/murder killed his career.
  • As a fan of gossip I'm a fan of this thread.
  • Fucking hell that article. I really enjoyed Kidulthood too but damn, the evidence against him is pretty overwhelming. I thought that article would be an account or two anonymous but nope, it goes on and on.

He plays a complete and total cunt in the first film, seems he didn't have to act very much.
  • Not that an account or two anonymous isn't believed.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Thread of the Discred

Clarke was the worst actor in Auf Wiedersehen, and until now, just kept falling upwards.
  • That was a horiffic read.

I've always quite liked him, but fuck.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yup he’s Scunthorpe (what my iPhone autocorrected) a cunt alright. Hate the thread title.

• Escape wrote:
    Thread of the Discred

This is good.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Hate the thread title.
    You have been very vocal about that.  You suggested in the other thread that Davy should have researched the term before even using it. I  had a quick google and found nothing to suggest it is a problematic phrase, just articles about it. Im obviously not seeing the same sites you are, can you explain why you have an issue with the term?

Oh and I should explain Im not having a go. Im simply curious.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • What are we talking about here, the term 'cancelled', or the specific way it appears in the thread title?
  • Haven't seen the discussion, but if Boris is unhappy with the term "cancel culture" then I'm with him.

Check the last Cody showdy.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Haven't seen the discussion, but if Boris is unhappy with the term "cancel culture" then I'm with him. Check the last Cody showdy.

EqATwSlWMAAhjWl.jpg
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @ninja I don’t recalled telling Davy to do anything. You confusing me with someone else? I just said I hate the usage of it. It’s reductive and doesn’t cover the nuance of people getting called out for being shits. Either way in this thread it was meant to vie in cheek. Will remember the winky next time ;-)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Right guys, I've made the thread and titled it. The existence of the thread and the title are not up for debate.

We had The Thread of the Dead for the deaths of prominent people. We moved on to The Thread of the Ped during the period of historic allegations where prominent people weren't quite dead but were finished in public life. I've long felt there was a gap for a more-wider ranging thread to disseminate career self-implosions due to general misconduct. The general parliance for this is 'cancelled' hence the thread title. It's legitimate to critisise cancel culture and I hope that people will only post good solid cancellations in here, but there's no point pretending that this isn't the common term in use for this kind of thing.
  • ERE putting everyone on the naughty step. 

That said, I don't think "guys" is particularly inclusive language...

#cancelERE
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Nooooo.
  • Cancelled is term which has no real meaning in the context it's being used. Its purpose in that context is to demean and denigrate those who object to people saying shitty things, and to minimise the risk to those shitty people saying shitty things by attempting to argue that suffering the consequences of saying shitty things (like racism, dodgy tweets, transphobia, etc) is unfair and equivalent to mob justice.

It has power because mob justice CAN occur when some shitty tweet from 12 years ago surfaces and a dude loses his job at such and such newspaper or whatever, so it has that crucial "ring of truth" to it which makes it easy to swallow

But it's bollocks. Say shit things, suffer consequences. If idiots want to call that getting "cancelled" they should be called out for enabling shitty racist homophobic mysoginistic etc statements and actions. It is also bollocks because those being apparently "cancelled" usually have great power and resources. Cancelled, for them, is no more top billing in some movie, or being called out after the Baftas for being an utter shit to women. They suffer no material consequences: they're still rich, powerful, and clearly have a voice and supporters. Unlike those they marginalise with their comments and actions.

In short it's an intellectually vacuous, victim insulting shit bird word used by cunts to defend cunts.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    In short it's an intellectually vacuous, victim insulting shit bird word used by cunts to defend cunts.

Yes, but there seems to be a lot of cunts around so it has entered common parlance. It’s replaced the term ‘deplatformed’ because that sounded too highbrow for the cunts who wanted to throw it around.

Okay, back to Noel Clarke being outed as an entitled misogynist shit and serial workplace harasser.

One thing I don’t understand. Why report him to BAFTA and not the Police? Or is it likely the the Police are investigating and not publicly saying so?

BAFTA are a charity and their purpose is promoting British talent in the film and TV industries. I understand you would want to revoke his membership and awards if this is all true, but if I were the Guardian I’d be passing the investigation to the cops first … So there’s clearly something I’m not grasping here.

Maybe just that this is a workplace issue and BAFTA are seen as influential over that workplace?
  • Anyway, because I Like ERE and wish to engage with the thread I will contibute the following.

Natalie Wynn aka Contrapoints started a thread on Twitter this very day asking "What's the funniest thing someone's been cancelled for?". And some of the answers (e.g. "a cake") are genuinely amusing. 

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/1387964438431551497
  • b0r1s wrote:
    @ninja I don’t recalled telling Davy to do anything. You confusing me with someone else? I just said I hate the usage of it. It’s reductive and doesn’t cover the nuance of people getting called out for being shits. Either way in this thread it was meant to vie in cheek. Will remember the winky next time ;-)
    Apologies, my mistake. Ah ok, I see what you mean, yeah its probably not the most accurate or ideal term to use. The way it was mentioned in the other thread, sounded like there was some huge taboo around its usage.

Can we get James Corden canceled/removed from media work please? I've had about enough of the fucker. I leave the details of his crimes to you lot. Get out there and get hashtagging.
    Thank you.

EDIT Ooops just saw ERE's explanation for the thread in his new post....that being said Im leaving in my request for James Corden to be excommunicated from society.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Natalie Wynn aka Contrapoints started a thread on Twitter this very day asking "What's the funniest thing someone's been cancelled for?".

Azaelia Banks sacrificing chickens in her closet is … a revelation I did not expect.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Long dead so not strictly on topic but the story does feel quite modern in certain ways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roscoe_Arbuckle
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think there's an easy conflation these days between people getting justifiably called to task for their actions and people getting jumped on for having an unpopular opinion or just being a bit dumb. Seeing as both seem to play out on social media they tend to get mixed up intro one thing. For example, when Nick Cave made the the decision to play Israel, and explained quite rationally why he was doing it, Twitter et al exploded with calls to boycott him and how his music was now shit and his records (and him) should be burned etc etc. There's no problem opposing someone's ideas but it seems to very easily turn into a storm of righteous indignation and demands for punishment. Jon Ronson's book So you've been publicly shamed is a good read about how small things can get completely out of hand via social media.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This brings up a subject I find of great interest. The ability, or lack thereof....of separating the artist from their work.

There's Jackson of course. Chaplin had an unhealthy interest in young girls.

Roman Polanski is a case in point. As is Kevin Spacey.

I still like Polanski films, and I enjoy Spacey's performances. So what does that say about me?
  • I've decided to separate art from artist, sometimes with a few exceptions, for legacy work. I think I'd feel less inclined to accept new works from someone proved dodgy/criminal. Then again, I'm sure I have done.
‹ Previous123456742

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!