E3 2021 - GUESSING TIME IS OVER!
  • Nintendo would be mad to bother with 4k.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That’s why the DLSS. Don’t need the native but they do need to slap something on the box to sell the new Switch (maybe).
  • They would he mad to bother with a new Switch.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    A tech update for Switch would be great. We were promised a 1080p docked, 720p portable console and ended up with a 720p docked, sub-720p portable console a lot of the time. Native 720p resolutions in portable and DLSS upscaling to 4K from 1080p+, plus HDR would be super.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    A sequel to Green Beret.

I'd buy into this. Come on Konami bring back one of my C64 favourites. What a soundtrack btw:

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • A DLSS powered switch would be quite something.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m wondering if they might work it so that the Switch itself has roughly the same specs as now, but they then add a DLSS block in the dock to upscale to 4K when attached to a TV.
  • Pretty surprised we're even entertaining the idea of Nintendo doing anything like 4K when why the fuck would they bother.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    To flog people second or third Switches.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think there's a genuine question mark over whether Nintendo will go for a Switch Pro or just secretly cancel or postpone it given existing models are flying off the shelves and there are component shortages. They do need to start acknowledging modern video standards at some point or risk falling behind though. I'm not sure a Switch Pro would even be targeting 1440p docked but 1080p with DLSS and HDR would look a hell of a lot better than 720p on a modern screen.
  • Upgrades from Nintendo in the past have been pretty boring. The Switch is selling like fuck sticks. I doubt most people that are in the market for a Nintendo Switch give much of a fuck about 1440p and 4K and what not when it's sold primarily as a portable console.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There’s going to be a market for it, no doubt. Nintendo does well out of hardware revisions, don’t see why this would be any different.
  • It's bound to be a thing but I don't think 4K is at the top of the list when it comes to the Switch. They need to double down on the portability of it. I'd love to see stats on how many people actually play the thing docked.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They already made the Switch Lite, not sure what else they can do to double down on the portability.
  • What if Nintendo surprised everyone with a Switch VR? They’re absolutely killing it in the AR space.

They could take VR away from the geeks and techies and turn it into a toy for all the family.
  • If Nintendo do VR I’ll fucking riot. They need to stay away from that. Happy for them to double down on AR though, that’d be cool.
  • It's bound to be a thing but I don't think 4K is at the top of the list when it comes to the Switch. They need to double down on the portability of it. I'd love to see stats on how many people actually play the thing docked.

I play docked more often than not. Mostly play on the big TV with the kids
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Labo/VR seems to have fizzled out.  I'd be surprised if they go down the accessory/'gimmicky' route so soon after, stranger things have happened though.
  • With regards to Nintendo and 4K, what impact would that have on file sizes?  Mario Odyssey is under 6gb, would something like that become 12gb in 4K (wild guess with double file size)?  Would third party publishers be willing to take the hit to request 32GB+ carts if they started to port/develop chunkier games?  Switch Pro would have to be BC - or there'd be an almighty backlash - so I assume it would stick with cartridges. 

DLSS sounds far more appealing than 4K to me, the first party stuff looks good enough anyway.  ARMS, Luigi's Mansion 3, Captain Toad, BotW, MK8 - they all look as good as they need to anyway, imho, and more than half of those were Wii U games.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    A power boost is the best thing they can do to bolster portable mode at the moment - ensure everything but 'big' console ports can consistently hit native 720p. Rumour has it they've snapped up a supply of 720p OLED screens from Samsung that no-one else wants to use so if Switch Pro does exist it will be decent for portable as well as docked.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I don’t know why people are saying that 4K doesn’t matter for Nintendo. I’m not saying they need native, we know through DLSS or other reconstruction techniques like the PS4 Pro that it can make games look much better on 4K sets. As an advertising angle it gives the marketers something simple to latch on to and it makes sense for mom and dad who have just bought the new 4K TV. They don’t need to know the 4K isn’t native to think that the new Switch will look better on the new TV.

In 2019 4K overtook HD by market share at about 53% according to statista. I can only assume it is more like 60% to 70% now. That’s a market to advertise and sell to.
  • 67% of mom and dads don't want the kids anywhere near their swanky 4K set.
  • If you look at the Switch charts on the EShop Stardew Valley has been in the top 5 pretty much every week since launch.  I reckon that on the whole the Switch ploughs its own furrow, and we (30-40 something predominantly male gamingplayers) represent a tiny pocket of its users.  It's impossible to second guess Nintendo though.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Core gamers are an important audience for Nintendo as well as casuals. They alienated their core audience during the Wii era to their ultimate detriment (drop-off of Wii towards the end of the gen and disaster of Wii U) and I don't think that's a mistake they'll be keen to repeat.
  • The Switch was a touch more expensive that most of us thought it would be, iirc.  A Switch Pro with a OLED 720p screen and DLSS for docked play would potentially be a wad of cash cheaper than a 4K Pro, I assume.      

The JoyCons are the most important thing anyway, I recks.  They'll need redesigning for the whole unit not to be a massive con.  Make the old ones work on it of course (I say of course; of course they may not), but drifty pad woes can't be allowed to carry on after a spec bump surely.  Bork rate must be up there with the RROD %.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nice pun.
  • One of the major publishers, so far unnamed, has apparently had all their stuff leaked. No one's released it yet, but it could happen any time.

https://twitter.com/APZonerunner/status/1396731576180953089
    There's one major publisher where I dunno how they've done it, but probably the most comprehensive big event leak I've seen in years is currently happening behind-the-scenes. Not just info; assets, footage. Madness. Just a countdown 'til someone releases this stuff now
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Nice pun.

Unintentional tbh.  They should be called Ploy-Cons!
  • JonB wrote:
    One of the major publishers, so far unnamed, has apparently had all their stuff leaked. No one's released it yet, but it could happen any time. https://twitter.com/APZonerunner/status/1396731576180953089
    There's one major publisher where I dunno how they've done it, but probably the most comprehensive big event leak I've seen in years is currently happening behind-the-scenes. Not just info; assets, footage. Madness. Just a countdown 'til someone releases this stuff now

Stop taking the fun out of everything, hackers.

Edit: Oh wait, leak.  Stop taking the fun out of everything, disgruntled employees.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    He goes on to say that it’s out of character for this particular publisher, so we can rule out Microsoft at least.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!