Steam Deck, a perfect companion to your Steam Ant
  • So if I install Windows on this then I can in theory use Gamepass, so I have a portable device that can play all Steam and Gamepass games more or less?
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Yup, should be fine assuming there's no weird compatibility issues.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yes, but I’d also bet Microsoft will have a native Game Pass app available for this very soon if you’re happy to stream.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The parts and price of this are great. The controller layout ain't.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It has paddles, that alone makes the controller layout better than almost anything else for me.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Enjoy your B button then
  • Now there is a dock, I'd be tempted to get it to play PC games on which I don't otherwise have a device to do so.

Those in the know - how does the price compare to just building an equivalent spec machine?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Enjoy your B button then

My B button will be the lower left paddle. I’ll enjoy it just fine, thanks.
  • I don't think I can judge the ergonomics without seeing a few people's quality opinions in videos (not the terrible shills). And really I would need to try it out for myself of course. I feel like a good idea would be to print a 3D model that would give you a good idea of how it feels, maybe someone will do that.
  • It feels like Valve skimmed all chat through Steam games about portable consoles, fed it into an algorithm and let a computer design a handheld.

I predict fairly decent sales early on (I think right now you would have to go out your way to make an unsellable bit of gaming hardware) but eventually they will be dust collectors as the usability compromises become apparent.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That move console to point looks sketchy. Always hated it on the Wii U and Switch.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    A lot of people do swear by it in 3D games if used correctly. The idea is that the movement is for fine adjustments, but you’re still mostly using the sticks.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Now there is a dock, I'd be tempted to get it to play PC games on which I don't otherwise have a device to do so. Those in the know - how does the price compare to just building an equivalent spec machine?

The parts are fairly bespoke so it's hard to make a direct comparison, and there's things like the screen and controls which add value of course, but in terms of just a PC box that runs games I think you could probably make a similarly specced rig for the same price or less for the 256GB Deck.

But really if you were to build a PC it would have better CPU performance because you wouldn't be TDP limited. If you just want a machine to sit at a desk and play then you should probably just go PC tbh. The Deck is more about the added value of convenience.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    A lot of people do swear by it in 3D games if used correctly. The idea is that the movement is for fine adjustments, but you’re still mostly using the sticks.

Yep, and I've found that you really need to dial in the sensitivities and setup to your personal preference. The Steam Controller has endless preset profiles for things but I always found that I needed to tailor the setup for me to feel comfortable.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Enjoy your B button then

That gives me actual anxiety.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Love me my handhelds, and while the device isn’t exactly a looker, I could be up for this at some point.  Only time I ever fire up the PC to play a game these days is when I fancy a game of Civ 3, so I don’t have a vast library of Steam games ready to play.  But…could I play World of Warcraft on this?  Ultimately I think this is going to be easy for me to pass on at the moment, but if Valve don’t drop the thing like a hot potato after a year or two, I could see me jumping on board after a second or third revision.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Enjoy your B button then

Why?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    Love me my handhelds, and while the device isn’t exactly a looker, I could be up for this at some point.  Only time I ever fire up the PC to play a game these days is when I fancy a game of Civ 3, so I don’t have a vast library of Steam games ready to play.  But…could I play World of Warcraft on this?  Ultimately I think this is going to be easy for me to pass on at the moment, but if Valve don’t drop the thing like a hot potato after a year or two, I could see me jumping on board after a second or third revision.

I think you're right and the big bit is if Valve don't drop it. As they sure did with the link and the pad. It's just their sustainability thing.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Enjoy your B button then

Why?

Because my brain is an idiot and I get anxiety.
  • This thing feels like an absolute win to me, someone who won’t pay for games I like on PC again on the Switch, but will definitely pay for a way to play them hundreds of games I already have on Steam on a portable. Access to your Steam library is such an incredible USP. Humble bundle, steam sale, VALUE.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I don't disagree and if I could play some of my steam games (hello Disco Elysium) on it then I am sold.

It is just the fucking ergonomics of the thing that make my brain melt.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And the fact that I have a steam link and steam pad and both feel completely worthless. Maybe that's my own situation but they didn't exactly set the world on fire.
  • If you’re happy to pay £15-20 to play the indie game you got on Steam for £10 on your Switch then this is not for you.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I don't disagree and if I could play some of my steam games (hello Disco Elysium) on it then I am sold.

I didn’t see the magnifying glass accessory.
  • It reminds me of this old meme.
    ps4controller.jpg
  • I have a long dormant Steam account I probably should have used to claim all sorts of freebies over the years, but haven't. Would've made this thing much more attractive but oh well. Never had a PC so it never entered my mind.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Was thinking if it’s a scaled down 3080, streaming STEAM VR via Virtual Desktop to a Quest. This thing has possibles.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • You could wear it like a belt buckle.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    If you’re happy to pay £15-20 to play the indie game you got on Steam for £10 on your Switch then this is not for you.

This is The Shit, and if it works may run out The Switch Tax.

But probably not because Nintendo..
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    If you’re happy to pay £15-20 to play the indie game you got on Steam for £10 on your Switch then this is not for you.

This. Im now tempted to sell my Switch and get one of these as the ultimate indie machine as I have to think how many Nintendo exclusives I’ve played (4 or 5) and completed (just Mario). I’ve not even finished BoTW and could always borrow my daughters console if I wanted to finish it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!