Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Well thought I’d give the reservation a bash. As expected site couldn’t cope. Added to cart ok then just kept reloading error messages then finally bombed out.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    More like Steam Dreck haha amirite haha gimme validation
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    They’ve skimped on the servers like it’s a base model Steam Deck.
  • Managed to get one in the cart then it wouldnt let me pay as it kept crashing and then telling me I was trying to pay too many times.
    Left it for an hour came back and thought it was game over but went through
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah same. I can still decide to cancel between now and launch lol
  • What size did you get?
    I went for 256 as I know I will end up putting windows on it for some reason (e.g. PS5 remote play)

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah went the mid one. If I can load Epic on it too that would be great but don’t really want windows on it.
  • Aye, that's the trade off

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Reserved the small one because why not.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Worst case early reviews are shite and you out £4 into your steam wallet.
  • This is perfect for the boy.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I'm not 100% sure, but it's looking like you will be able to add NVME storage if you are handy with a screwdriver and pry tool -
    All models use socketed 2230 m.2 modules (not intended for end-user replacement)
    From the tech specs page.

If there is just a standard m.2 socket in there then that means you could get the cheaper 64GB Deck and chuck in a reasonably priced 1tb SSD and get much better storage.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I'm too dumb to figure this out from the specs in the OP, but will this thing run RE Village?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • It will run it, but the performance/quality remains to be seen. Expect medium/low settings for new fancy lookin games if you want a high framerate. The beauty of this thing just being a computer is that you will be able to adjust the graphics settings and stuff to get the performance and quality that you like, rather than being stuck with whatever preset the devs give you. Want 60FPS? Lower the settings (will probably still look good on the small screen).
  • This thing is a big leap up from the Switch, but it's a ways away from other home consoles still. I really hope Valve continues with it and makes more powerful variants in the future. For certain kinds of games the deck is going to be incredible though, hopefully standby/quick resume is going to work well.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    It will run it, but the performance/quality remains to be seen. Expect medium/low settings for new fancy lookin games if you want a high framerate.

Noted. If this thing turns out to be Not Pony (TM), I'll definitely be interested. I currently lack a way of playing RE Village; on my laptop it turns into a PowerPoint whenever I enter combat.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • RE Village is not something to be concerned about being able to run.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    If Microsoft were to support this with Gamepass along with their back catalogue it’d be a lot more difficult to resist.  If I could play something like Lost Odyssey I’d be really tempted.
    Get schwifty.
  • 1.6 TFlops is about equivalent to a PS4 isn't it?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The things that are gonna be make or break for me are fan noise. One of the reasons I don’t always break out the laptop. And battery life. 2 to 8 is quite a range.

I’d have though most games running at 720p should be fine once you’ve tweaked settings.
  • Yeah battery life will depend entirely on what games you decide to run on it, your relatively simple 2D affairs will need very little grunt, so fan noise will be low and it should have decent endurance. If you go try to run the latest shiny AAA you'll probably want a USB battery pack or wall charger handy.
  • 1.6 TFlops is about equivalent to a PS4 isn't it?

Teraflops can't easily be compared across generations, but various people seem to reckon similar GPU power to the previous gen consoles yeah. We'll know for sure once the likes of Digital Foundry get their hands on one.

The CPU on the other hand is quite a bit better than the last gen, but not as powerful as the new machines or most current gaming PCs. It should be plenty good enough for most games though, just don't try and run some really intense simulator and expect smooth performance. I'm really curious if Noita will be ok on it, it can chug a little in some areas even on my machine.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'd say only about 5% of my library is triple A stuff anyway, and I wouldn't want to play it on a tiny screen.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I'd say only about 5% of my library is triple A stuff anyway, and I wouldn't want to play it on a tiny screen.

I think this is really it.  I wouldn’t want to play BIG games on something like this.  It would be a retro (and I use that term loosely) device for me.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m basically think P4G right now. Bought and played a bit on my laptop but this would be the perfect machine for it.
  • Is this the moment apu's take over? Couple that to upscaling tech like FSA and DLSS maturing and these handhelds will become standards of their own. As this new hw standard matures even docked 4k will be possible at one point.

But, battery life at 720p/1080p will be king. It's probably the reason why the Switch didn't get a pro ed. That, and that sales curve.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Yes, if only Persona 4 Golden were available on a portable...
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s is and own it :-(
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Persona 5 however…  All this really does is make me want a new Sony handheld that unlocks so many PS2 locked to that system.
    Get schwifty.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think they had some kind of breakthrough in PS2 emulation recently so this thing might be able to do a decent job of that. I guess resolution might be an issue though - PS2 uses 480 vertical resolution and Deck has 800 so you couldn't even 2x integer scale.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!