DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Best quality of life improvement (minor mechanic spoiler):
    Spoiler:
  • As this is an open world, do the bosses really still act as chokepoints? If they give you a spanking, can't you just flee, go on the grind and return when you're a few levels higher and return the favour. I guess it doesn't work like that though?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    As this is an open world, do the bosses really still act as chokepoints? If they give you a spanking, can't you just flee, go on the grind and return when you're a few levels higher and return the favour. I guess it doesn't work like that though?

Yes you can, completely. There is one 'end of area' boss I speedran too, but you can still go back and grind if you want. Other bosses can be avoided entirely, especially with a certain new mechanic.
  • It's Dark Souls in all but name. Just bigger and a bit more going on.

Mayber.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Is this going to convince the doubters? And by that I mean the real DS haters like myself who just can't abide the forced difficulty?

I like hard bosses if I can retry immediately, because it takes a few attempts to acquire pattern recognition, and then loads more to refine it to mastery.

But Souls have you repeating lead-up sections that pose no challenge in comparison, arbitrarily taking up so much time. Serving up game-flagellation like it's 1989, boredom their penance for failure to the point of lapsed concentration lifeloss.

So long as you respawn at boss doors in this, its new openworld should let us choose our own difficulty. That could well be the difference in mainstreaming it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    There is something new regarding death and respawns, but I've said enough already in here.

Basically if this isn't my GotY 2022 I'd be shocked.
  • It's definitely been made with wider accessibility in mind. I'd be surprised if there are any long runs to bosses. Early days yet, of course.
  • Man it's just so more-ish.
  • I just love the aesthetics and will be in day 1.
  • I’ve preordered the ultimate premium collector’s edition. 

Or have I?!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I just love the aesthetics and will be in day 1.

Me too.
    There's nothing I don't like about it.
    (Took a while to figure out how to 2 hand weapons etc but it's still so so good)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Sounds like I will need to dedicate my life to this, it does sound amaze from the snippets I've caught, right up my street.

I just pray it doesn't land right alongside Silksong...
  • At this point Silksong seems like Vapourware
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Sounds like I will need to dedicate my life to this, it does sound amaze from the snippets I've caught, right up my street.

Its a take three months sick leave game.

I've done the first two network tests, stayed up til 3am just to have a go and all I want to do is just play it, get lost in its world.

The area you are given feels ridiculously vast, like an 8-10 hour exploration area, and its not even half of the opening area of the entire map. It's madness.
  • acemuzzy wrote:

Its a take three months sick leave game.

I've done the first two network tests, stayed up til 3am just to have a go and all I want to do is just play it, get lost in its world.

The area you are given feels ridiculously vast, like an 8-10 hour exploration area, and its not even half of the opening area of the entire map. It's madness.

Yes yes yes.
    I went to bed last nite about 12:30 then looked to see what time the tests were today and seen the next one is at 3 am,
    Plenty of coffee and bongs later I was set and running around finding loads of hidden dungeons etc and also beat that first major boss before exploring a little further till time turned 6 am and kicked me off.
    I was gutted, couldn't believe that was 3 hours felt like half hour of the best stuff.

Anyway I don't want to spoil anything but this is a definite buy.

I just stuck sekiro back on my ps5 internal so I can try and beat the funking monkeys second phase,
    The shit throwing cunt!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:

What, the horse?
  • I've had a couple of sessions on it now, and I'm in two minds about it.

I love everything that's new for a From game - exploring the open world, using the map to actually find places of interest, etc. The landscape itself is a fascinating departure, and I've stumbled into some unexpected encounters. Even little things like jumping or the new counterattack, the horse thing, and item crafting. It's all great.

But I'm disappointed by how much had been transported basically unchanged from previous games. Why don't they change the combat mechanics more? Or ditch the old items for new ones? Why are they still using the same dungeon traps they did 10 years ago? Why can't they come up with different kinds of bosses anymore?

Why go to all the trouble to create a world that's so mysterious and interesting to explore, then fill it with stuff that feels familiar?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've just watched a bit of Cohh in the tutorial and I'm warming up to it. Still not fully sold on the overworld but the combat looks great, no shan screen filling hit boxes on the first proper dude you fight.

I was thinking about getting DS3 for £14 last night but I may as well wait for this
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    I've had a couple of sessions on it now, and I'm in two minds about it.

I love everything that's new for a From game - exploring the open world, using the map to actually find places of interest, etc. The landscape itself is a fascinating departure, and I've stumbled into some unexpected encounters. Even little things like jumping or the new counterattack, the horse thing, and item crafting. It's all great.

But I'm disappointed by how much had been transported basically unchanged from previous games. Why don't they change the combat mechanics more? Or ditch the old items for new ones? Why are they still using the same dungeon traps they did 10 years ago? Why can't they come up with different kinds of bosses anymore?

Why go to all the trouble to create a world that's so mysterious and interesting to explore, then fill it with stuff that feels familiar?

I've no issue with it, why change what isn't broken and is proven to work?

They've successfully moved a dungeon crawler into a vast open world, made it exciting to explore, added surprisingly good horse back combat, variety, a large scope of QoL improvements etc.. I'm not bothered about some reused assets and movesets.
  • Because it's less interesting when you kind of already know how everything works.

Anyway, just came off the last session and feel a bit more positive towards it. Managed the first main boss at last, and most of the others. There's a ton of stuff to find even in that opening area, and some great battles using the outdoor locations.

My main frustration with From's last couple of games has been repetitive boss design, and as long as there's always plenty more to do between the major bosses, so you can power up organically by exploring, I think that will be less of an issue. Going straight for the main bosses is going to be for the experts and speed runners. For the rest of us it'll be about fully exploring each area first, and I'm down for that.
  • Has this got the BotW straight yo the boss type design then?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Has this got the BotW straight yo the boss type design then?
    There are walls around a chunk of the overworld for the demo, so I don't know how open it will be in the final game.

So far, you're pointed towards the first main objective and can head straight towards it if you want, with the first main boss blocking entry. I guess in the end it'll be more like a regular open-world game, with a critical path and loads of side content along the way.
  • Cheers.
    I've not really read up on this much.
  • WAB perfectly sums up my opinion of Dark Souls combat, which is why I really shouldn't touch Elden Ring with a bargepole... (skip to 2.40)

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I heard “bwah, why can’t I button mash and face tank enemies?”

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There's no jump in Dark Souls, at least not in combat, so whatever he's on about.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Elden Ring has gone gold! So we're definitely playing it next month.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    GOLDEN RING amirite?
  • WOOOOOOOOF!!
    Can't wait!!!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've gone from not being sure about this at all to preordering it like a fool

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!