Carrier Command 2 - Out now
  • Carrier Command 2, releasing this Summer. There's a demo available as part of Nextfest which will probably expire tonight, but apparently if you never close the game it should continue to work...

IkPPJKG.jpg

You pilot a massive wallowing carrier through rolling seas, conquering islands with a combination of onboard guns and external drone craft in the air, sea and land. The bridge is bedecked in excellent screens and clicky buttons to do various things to manage the giant craft, and you can tell this is really meant for at least 3-4 players to be able to effectively manage everything in an intense scenario. So something like Sea Of Thieves might be a good comparison for how this would play out, though it's a very different overall vibe. Aside from sitting in the bridge keeping an eye on things you can also take control of the individual drones you launch -

D8jkKk7.jpg

SJR6UCI.gif

The music and retro styling is perfect, as soon as I started up the intro into the main menu I was like 'yes this is exactly what I'm looking for!'. The soundtrack is all powerful cinematic synths, and the visuals are all DOS-era UI and low poly models but with better lighting, gorgeous stuff IMO. It gets properly dramatic at times when you get close to an island and start launching hellfire down upon the enemy, the music proper kicks off -

2ohCyDj.jpg

I'm going to be trying to play this as much as I can before it expires, I haven't tried out MP yet but it must be the tits, if anyone fancies having a go give me a shout.

It's just really fucking cool.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Must try and get a look at that tonight, seems interesting.
  • I was getting strong VR vibes off this but I guess it's not?

Also, are MicroProse still a thing? I thought they had gone the way of US Gold and Ocean?

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's not vr?
  • I think those graphics are supposed to be the 'perfect retro styling' that Gurt was banging on about.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    I was getting strong VR vibes off this but I guess it's not? Also, are MicroProse still a thing? I thought they had gone the way of US Gold and Ocean?

Maybe there's a VR mode, I haven't seen anything mentioning it yet.

Yeah MicroProse seem to still be a thing, they look to be doing some decent military type games.

I hadn't heard of Geometa (the dev for this) before, but I like the look of some of their previous games.

I'm definitely going to be on the MP for this tonight, DM me on Discord if you like.
  • I could be all over this.
    I was intrigued by the original but couldn’t play it well at all, it was hard as nails.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I fucking loved the original on the Atari ST.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    I fucking loved the original on the Atari ST.
    Me too. Don’t think I was ever much good at it, mind.
  • I was shit, the enemy carrier would take all my islands
  • Played some coop of this last night and it's proper good fun. There's plenty of opportunity for high level tactical play and communication, PVP is going to be intense, and PVE can offer a stiff but fun challenge to try and overcome together. Communication really matters if you are to succeed, for example when firing the artillery from the carrier it's most accurate if the boat is still, so communication between the gunner and helmsmen is essential. There's just so much of that kind of thing between different roles, steering/shooting/piloting/drone movement/systems management/logistics, it's great for generating these grand stories together as you have your failures and victories.

We learnt that trying to get a helicopter to land in a storm while the ship is in deep water where there's massive rolling waves is a pretty bad idea, or at least I've got to do a much better job of using the side thrusters on the carrier next time to keep it in the right position -

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false
    (that heli is upside down..)

I wouldn't be put off at the thought of it being intimidatingly complex to learn and play though, it's really quite arcadey and has well simplified systems. There's some slightly unintuitive stuff to figure out at first but it's really not bad at all. It seems to work best with at least three people, but the more the merrier up until communication breaks down I guess.
  • VR support confirmed.

• Now just released, £26.39 atm.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!