Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    The “expensive” angle comes from those that like middle of the road products designed with major economies of scale in mind. Don’t like playdate? That’s fine. But saying this is expensive is bull. Invention on a small scale costs money and people have become too accustomed to hyper-capitalist low price shite tech with an apple or Samsung logo slapped on it. This is fucking cool.

I'm going to stand my ground on this one. It's $180 to play black and white WarioWare games. Agreed it's cool, agreed small scale tech costs money, but it's still expensive. Akin to a nice record player, the PlayDate is a lovely bit of kit... but it's expensive. For $10 more you can get a Switch Lite, for example.

I have the Neo Geo Pocket Color Selection Vol. 1 on Switch. Or I could have gone out and got an Analog Pocket and the requisite adapter to play the same games. The end result is the same, but the latter has a certain something, like listening to your favourite record on vinyl versus via [steaming service of choice here]. But the Analog Pocket is still expensive, whatever way you cut it. The vinyl version of my favourite album may have had a small print run, sure... but it's still expensive.

Saying the PlayDate isn't expensive because it's a small company and an interesting new device is like saying that Maybach isn't expensive when you consider all the diamonds in the dashboard. Whatever the reason, it's still expensive.

If you can afford it and enjoy it, that's fine. I really want to see it succeed, because it is interesting. But when I think about what I could get for the same money, in my mind it's unarguably costly.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • For me the question is simply am I going to play these games much? And the answer is probably not. Regardless of the product design, it's going to be sitting on a shelf while I play other things.

I hope it's not the same for those who get it, but I don't see the appeal at all.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    The “expensive” angle comes from those that like middle of the road products designed with major economies of scale in mind. Don’t like playdate? That’s fine. But saying this is expensive is bull. Invention on a small scale costs money and people have become too accustomed to hyper-capitalist low price shite tech with an apple or Samsung logo slapped on it. This is fucking cool.
    I'm going to stand my ground on this one. It's $180 to play black and white WarioWare games. Agreed it's cool, agreed small scale tech costs money, but it's still expensive. Akin to a nice record player, the PlayDate is a lovely bit of kit... but it's expensive. For $10 more you can get a Switch Lite, for example. I have the Neo Geo Pocket Color Selection Vol. 1 on Switch. Or I could have gone out and got an Analog Pocket and the requisite adapter to play the same games. The end result is the same, but the latter has a certain something, like listening to your favourite record on vinyl versus via [steaming service of choice here]. But the Analog Pocket is still expensive, whatever way you cut it. The vinyl version of my favourite album may have had a small print run, sure... but it's still expensive. Saying the PlayDate isn't expensive because it's a small company and an interesting new device is like saying that Maybach isn't expensive when you consider all the diamonds in the dashboard. Whatever the reason, it's still expensive. If you can afford it and enjoy it, that's fine. I really want to see it succeed, because it is interesting. But when I think about what I could get for the same money, in my mind it's unarguably costly.

It's not unarguably costly. It's a $95 dollar production cost unit (so the rest of the money has to cover paying devs, shipping, marketing, profits, etc.) with a really nice finish and feature set, plus a bunch of games. So yes, for $10 more you can get a Switch Lite which has much better economies of scale, and comes with zero games. And, the Switch Lite has, in many ways, cheaper components. It doesn't use solid state memory for example, while the Playdate does. That costs money. 

Nintendo also get to double dip on profit, even though the base switch will cost more than the playdate, because they'll take a cut of revenues from sales. PlayDate has an open development platform and lets you sideload games, so you don't need to use their subscription service to get games.

Beyond that, it sits right in the middle of handheld pricing if we look at all consoles from GameBoy up to Vita. And that's not even considering that inflation is a thing and yet consumers haven't really accepted many price rises on games or hardware. It's not expensive, people are just addicted to cheap electronics. 

EDIT:

Removed a sentence at the end as I think it reads antagonistically when it's not intended as such. Genuinely interesting to see how people see price and value.
  • Like, the Analogue Pocket is like what - 220 bucks, plus another 30 if you want to play Lynx games plus another 30 if you want to play game gear games, no internal storage, and no games. And you're comparing that to a 180 dollar device which a completely new feature set and host of custom made games?

Big shrug from me.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Hvae to say Panic as a company generally create quality products. Many moons ago they used to be a software company supporting Mac web devs and when I used to be a full time dev, I mainly used Coda and Transmit, both excellent products, but both paid for and a bit more than the competition too.

Just took a look at their website and they are still doing Transmit, great app that.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It's probably worth noting a Chinese company already produced a clone of the Playdate design that was a more conventional handheld with a standard IPS screen and it basically bombed and didn't make an impact. Like I can totally get people's cynisism about the Playdate and maybe it might not work out long term as a platform but the very things that people are focusing their criticisms on are the precise things that make it an interesting ecosystem for exclusive games. Take them away and it goes from being a debately pointless console to an undisputably pointless console.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Is the playdate expensive though? Like I know that £200 is not chump change but what should the cost of relatively small scale brand new electronics product be?

As cint says They’ve made 24 games baked into that price so even if they’re giving everyone a pound per console it’s then only 180 for the bits of hardware which is all custom designed?

I just paid 120 ish for an Amiga 500 clone thing. So next to that it doesn’t feel inherently crazy.

• Is the playdate expensive though? Like I know that £200 is not chump change but what should the cost of relatively small scale brand new electronics product be?

As cint says They’ve made 24 games baked into that price so even if they’re giving everyone a pound per console it’s then only 180 for the bits of hardware which is all custom designed?

I just paid 120 ish for an Amiga 500 clone thing. So next to that it doesn’t feel inherently crazy.

Yeah, 150-200 seems to be the standard “normal” price for handheld consoles over the past 15 or so years.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It costs £76 to build the console according to Panic. But obviously that doesn't include the price of the bundled games.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Oh, Cinty posted that above lol. Well, at least now we have it converted to pounds.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Apparently some Playdates might arrive with dead batteries but they aren't dead dead, they just need a charge because they had a long travel time.
  • DF's John Linneman's impressions of the Playdate. He's very complimentary, especially about the screen. Kinda makes me wish I could get one.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Playdates might arrive with dead batteries

Bjork.jpg
  • My playdate is on the move!!

For me, I feel like the point of the console is spelled out in the name. It's not something you're supposed to play every day but one that you're meant to have a play date with every now and then. An expensive outlay for the odd play session maybe but I still think it's a fun concept
  • Young Bjork was stunning
    PSN - minkymu
  • I added one of these to my basket last night and then thought 2023?

Nope.
    PSN - minkymu
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Apparently if you didn't pre-order a case with your Playdate and you now regret not ordering a case you can contact customer services and they'll help you out.
  • Hadn’t realised Teenage Engineering had a hand in this, kind of makes sense now.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Teenage Mutant Engineering. Heroes in a crank shell, handle power!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
  • I sort of wished they could have managed a better roll out to be honest. It seems like ages ago when the hype was up and now it’s a shit limbo far from the excitement days but also an unknowable amount of time to wait.
  • If anyone has one of these on 2022 delivery or actually has one they don't want i will buy it off you

2023 too far away
    PSN - minkymu
  • Ooh it feels nice and solid.
    Needs a charge though
  • Screen is defo sexy. Really pops in the daylight. I'll have to wait and see if the no backlight thing feels like an issue.
    Look forward to downloading a few extra games onto it.

And this raytracing thing some crazy person did:
    https://twitter.com/llemarie/status/1520988985010491392?s=21&t=2Z2ydL7zUTlZgF0FrLim0w
  • https://www.eurogamer.net/playdate-is-weird-and-kind-of-ace

I feel like this is a good review for it too. I would say the first couple of games it gives you in the season aren't the best (although I don't mind the bird one) but it seems like there's some cool stuff to come in the season and there'll be even more awesome stuff to sideload onto it as more devs make stuff.

It's a beautiful piece of hardware.

mXxXOOo.jpg
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Was having a look at the dev stuff recently, wish I could get one sooner than next year.
  • That looks really nice. I am so jealous.
  • Very nice. I want one
    PSN - minkymu
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Jealous!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!