Dwarf Fortress - Strike the earth!
‹ Previous123
  • The new UI version is now showing a release date on Steam.

In this complex construction/management/roguelike simulation, every generated world brings a unique challenge, whether it’s dwarves with their own simulated personalities or aquifers. Observe what makes your civilization fall into eventual decline, and learn for next time… until something else inevitably goes wrong.

The combat model includes skills, body parts, material properties, aimed attacks, wrestling, pain, nausea, various poison effects, and much more.

It’s difficult to convey the depth of the generation. Hundreds of animals and monsters, many of which are randomly created for each world, as well as generated poetry, musical forms, instruments, and dances for your dwarves to practice and perform. A dynamic weather model tracks wind, humidity, and air masses to create fronts, clouds, storms, and blizzards. Over two hundred rock and mineral types can appear, in their proper geological environments.

Remember: Losing is fun!

Developed by Tarn and Zach Adams and originally released in 2006, Dwarf Fortress is still one the most complex games out there. A real showcase of how many interlinked systems can lead to stunning emergent behaviour, and when combined with the power of our imagination generate rich dynamic stories.

This is an excellent and highly entertaining watch that explains what the game is all about and gives a glimpse into the bonkers level of simulation behind that's going on behind the deceptively simple visuals -

Here's the current state of the new UI that's in development -

It's looking really nice, certainly a lot more intuitive. There is a sense that a move away from the super abstract ASCII tile graphics to something more defined might influence or detract from how you imagine your fortress, but it's still very abstract from what I can see, just more easy to immediately grok what's going on. And there will still be an ASCII mode for those that have a deep love with how that looks.
  • I haven't played in about five years, but this might be just the thing to lure me back.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Steam page is no longer showing a release date, presumably it was updated in error but I guess assume 2022 for a release.

I played it some years ago also, managed to learn the basics I think. Really keen to play it again because most builder/management games don't have anything like the level of interesting complexity that would keep me engaged for a long time, happy to wait for the new version.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I jumped around that video but it's not the type of thing to translate to that type of snapshot.

I'll hopefully get round to it at some point but in the meantime, what's your thoughts Gurtsy?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Has it actually been released on Steam?
  • It's just a demo vid of the game as stands currently, seems fairly complete now AFAICT so hopefully we'll see a release before the end of the year.

It's probably my most anticipated game currently tbh, even though the gamehas technically been around for well over a decade. The interface and menus had me bouncing off the game before, but the proper overhaul is looking really good with logical menus and readable graphics, so I think it'll be a good time to dive into it properly.

It's the OG deep colony sim and story generator.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The systems and mechanics are unbelievably deep. Keep a beady aye on it and update us
  • I recommend watching the first 3 mins of that first noclip video up there if anyone hasn't yet, still hilarious and showcases the kind of emergent stuff which the game is all about.
  • After years of hard work, we are thrilled to announce that the highly anticipated, and newly inviting Steam and Itch.io PC release of the fabled Dwarf Fortress will release on December 6 2022 for $29.99 USD! Watch the release date trailer on Youtube:

We are so excited to share the news, we know it was not easy waiting. Thank you so much for your patience and understanding!   

We will still want be as transparent as possible about the game's development and wanted to provide an updated roadmap. 

As we suspected back in February, we won't be able to squeeze in everything we'd have liked without the potential of a major delay. So here's a bit more information about where we are and where we're going:

CURRENTLY

We're implementing a few last creature and building graphics and fixing more bugs. We already know for sure that launch will include Legends mode.

We're not totally sure whether we'll have Arena mode or Steam Workshop integration or Classic mode at launch, but we do know all are very very close and already partially working. So those three things might end up in the launch or they might end up being patched in in the weeks after.

SOONISH

For the months following launch, we have more graphics we want to add. We'd like specific graphics for more plants (evergreens, real world plants, etc), for example, and we'd also love to put in images for baby animals instead of just scaling down the adult versions. Kittens and red panda cubs and giant eaglets!

We're also not able to approach Mac and Linux by ourselves, since we've never notarized a Mac build or managed Linux libraries, and will need to get help with that to do it properly. But obviously we'd love to get that whole pipeline working so people can play on non-Windows computers.

And of course we'll do whatever necessary work there is to stabilize the release post-launch.

EVENTUALLY

It will take a lot of effort and tons of special menus and interface, but Adventure mode is the biggest thing on the horizon that's missing from launch.

Around the same time as Adventure mode, maybe a bit before or after, we'll probably also put in Steam Achievements. We'll complete the work on villain systems and armies and sieges we were pondering before premium DF work began.

After that, we'll probably enter a lengthier development cycle, designing and coordinating work around the next big improvements to the map system, preparing the game for the addition of procedurally generated myths and magic systems. Some of these additions will take months by themselves, or longer, but we'll see how all that is shaping up when we get there.

Thanks for your enduring patience! We're hoping for a smooth and cheerful launch, thanks to the help of everybody keeping things running: the mods, volunteers, Kitfox, Valve, and our players and supporters. Not too much longer before you too can Strike the Earth!

-Tarn & Zach + Kitfox
  • Gonna Day 1 the fuck outta that.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think if I had more time I'd love it but I have a feeling its complexity will put me off. Still, I'll see what the verdict is.
  • This is a big deal.
  • Beginner stream on the publisher Kitfox's Twitch channel today, 7PM.
    We are just under a month away from launch, can you believe it? If you're reading the news and thinking, "This is great but I still have no idea how to play Dwarf Fortress" then you're in luck! I will be hosting beginner friendly streams of Dwarf Fortress Steam edition every Thursday for the month of November at 2pm ET starting tomorrow November 10th!

Join me on the Kitfox Twitch channel as I learn Dwarf Fortress and show you exactly what the new player experience looks like for the Steam version. Am I an expert? Absolutely not! I have intentionally avoided learning Classic in hopes to show you all exactly what it will be like to start from scratch! I don't know exactly what will happen, but traditional Dwarf Fortress chaos will ensue. Maybe some special guests will join me on stream too...
  • I'm hoping this plays well on the deck.
  • Fuck yes! So happy it's finally coming out.
    I hope it makes them all of the money.
  • Just 24 hours to go...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Gnnnnnn.

I wonder if it would run on my laptop. Can't see it getting added to Geforce Now any time soon.
  • Unless it's an abysmally old or underpowered machine it should run fine I would have thought.
  • Is this worth getting if you're already addicted to Rimworld?
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I get the impression that Dwarf Fortress is way more complicated/in depth, but I may be wrong? I also love Rimworld to bits.
  • Promised I would try it if they ever refreshed the graphics. It is time. Fuck.
  • It's definitely quite readable now. There's some tutorials and help dialogue in game which get you started, though it seems like you'd still need to consult other guides or just experiment for some of the more advanced stuff. I think I'm starting to get the hang of things, though the shear amount of stuff in the game is pretty bewildering. Like when you want to trade for some meat and they seem to have sweetbreads, tripe, etc, of every strange beast in the land.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I have bought this.

Eek.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Im not sure if I'd rather just play Rimworld having spent an hour on it tbh. Dunno.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Watched a bit of Cohh starting out on this. The dwarves have more personality traits than some people I know in real life. Plenty of updates for the lads please
  • It definitely takes a bit of time in a fortress for stuff to start getting really interesting and the emergent stories to flourish. Probably like 6+ hours based on what I've seen.
  • There's a 7 year old dwarf in my fort that got possessed and took over my craft workshop, apparently I didn't get him the materials he required to make some masterpiece and now he's running about everywhere in a tantrum. Thankfully he doesn't seem to be able to do much damage to anything and everyone is just ignoring him and getting on with their work.

That's the most interesting thing that's happened thus far, I'm still just learning the fundamentals. The game has so many degrees of freedom for you to do what you want, but I can definitely see how with a bit of time you can get really fluent in it and have some great fun messing around with the possibilities.
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!